Page: 1

Some Passion at the Donmar and Suchet and Wanamaker have Sons

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Elena Roger, who was a knockout in Evita and Piaf in London, could be on her way back to the West End next autumn to star in Stephen Sondheim's musical Passion.

The show is about a woman's obsession with a soldier. Elena would take the part of Fosca - the role Maria Friedman played in London opposite Michael Ball.

More...Jude Law steps out with his sons... on the day Samantha Burke unveils new daughter he hasn't met
Boy, he knew how to Beat It: BAZ BAMIGBOYE reviews This Is It

Elena is currently in Buenos Aires, her home town, starring in a touring production of Piaf, which ran at the Donmar and in the West End.
The show was directed by Jamie Lloyd, and he has been in discussions with the actress about her returning to the Donmar in Passion, although no deal has been signed yet.
Passion will be at the heart of celebrations at the Donmar to mark Sondheim's 80th birthday. 'It seems right to mount a new production of Passion and put a number of events around it for Stephen's birthday,' said Donmar's artistic director Michael Grandage.
Sondheim will also be having a BBC Prom at the Royal Albert Hall featuring his music. Grandage said the tributes at the Donmar would include talks about Sondheim's contribution to theatre and, possibly, one-off concert performances with songs from his shows.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1223975/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Jude-Laws-Hamlet-Prince-Broadway.html#ixzz0VOuEuDJu

David Suchet and Zoe Wanamaker, who will lead a new production of Arthur Miller's classic play All My Sons into the Apollo Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue, with previews from May 19 and an opening night on May 27.
The play is being directed by Howard Davies, who directed it at the National Theatre several seasons ago, with Julie Walters giving a memorable performances as Kate Keller, the wife who has lost a son in World War II.

She must look on as her husband Joe blames everyone but himself for the deaths of pilots flying planes with faulty equipment his company had made and sold.
'It's about taking responsibility for our actions - and for our children,' said Kim Poster, who is producing the show with Sonia Friedman and Eric Falkenstein.

The play resonates so well because it is our politicians who refuse to take responsibility for sending our troops to the Middle East with inadequate equipment - indeed, for sending them at all.
Suchet is currently filming a new Poirot for ITV. In fact, he recently shot an episode with Ms Wanamaker.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1223975/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Jude-Laws-Hamlet-Prince-Broadway.html#ixzz0VOuYSvXj
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cheers Princeton, always appreciat when you post the Baz column you post for us.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nice! New donmar season looks interesting. Love Mark Haddon's book The Curious incident of the dog in the nighttime so his play should hopefully be good.

Will All My Sons be a trasnfer of what was on B'way?

And London Assurance at National with Fiona Shaw sounds fun.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nice to see The Donmar doing a musical again especially a Sondheim which they haven't done for a while, Passion is a good choice as they've done most of the Sondheim musicals although a small scale Follies would have been good.

All My Sons sounds like a new production than a transfer as it's a different director but I could be wrong.
Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I really dont like Passion
Great ews about All My Sons though
former sadm2 (wink)
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I LOVE Passion - one of Sondheim's most emotionally powerful and beautiful scores. It's gonna be tough matching Maria Freidman's incredible performance but, having seen Elena Roger in Piaf, I have a feeling she's going to be an awesome Fosca. Will be interesting to see who they cast as Giorgio and Clara.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Passion is not one of my favourite Sondheim shows but I think Elena Roger is inspired casting. I think Maria Friedman acted the role well enough in the theatre but I can't stand listening to her screech and wail through the London cast recording.
Updated On: 11/1/09 at 06:37 AM