MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Lucky In The Rain' CD#1
Posted: 10/25/09 at 8:09am
'Lucky In The Rain' CD
What a lovely little show.
Only heard of it last week and listening to it now.
Barbara Cook sounding dreamy in this 2000 studio recording.
Any one know it?
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Lucky In The Rain' CD#2
Posted: 10/25/09 at 12:56pm
Yes, this is a wonderful score - almost a catalogue of "standards"(A Lovely Way To Spend An Evening, I Can't Give You Anything But Love,Dont Blame Me, On The Sunny Side Of the Street and Love Me As If There Was No Tomorrow) - with music by the seriously underrated Jimmy McHugh and lyrics by Harold Adamson and the brilliant Dorothy Fields. And this studio recording has a cast to die for - as well as Miss Cook, there's Debbie Gravitte, Patrick Wilson, Lilias White, Malcolm Gets and Marcus Neville (who I just saw in the fabulous "Last Smoker In America").

"Lucky In The Rain" is a "concept" musical, utilising songs from the Jimmy McHugh songbook. Actually a number of these songs were written for the Frank Sinatra movie version of the musical "Higher And Higher" (a Rodgers and Hart hit Broadway show which, when it was turned into a film, ditched all but one of the R & H score and replaced it with new McHugh/Adamson songs!)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Lucky In The Rain' CD#2
Posted: 10/25/09 at 1:07pm
Hey thanks Bob. I've listened to it 3 times today now and was wondering of the background to it.
It has some wonderful performances.