Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh

AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#1
Posted: 10/12/09 at 8:55am
Cameron will bring in the Broadway revival of Hair next Summer.

The sun will shine in one of his theatres to be announced.
mcalpine84 Profile Photomcalpine84 Profile Photo
mcalpine84
Understudy
Understudy
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#2
Posted: 10/12/09 at 9:09am
i think i said this in a previous thread.

Its the novello.

its also the entire Broadway cast for a limited run!

Dantes
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#2
Posted: 10/12/09 at 10:03am
So excited, a great production and even better cast
former sadm2 (wink)
AnythingGoes2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#3
Posted: 10/12/09 at 10:18am
Oops, sorry never saw that post.

Havent heard the whole cast are incoming, just Gaven Creel was a definate!
mcalpine84
Understudy
Understudy
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#4
Posted: 10/12/09 at 12:17pm
No worries AG2

Its going to be great!! Im there!
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#5
Posted: 10/12/09 at 11:03pm
I highly doubt that the entire broadway cast is going to go over there.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#6
Posted: 10/12/09 at 11:53pm
^ me too!
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#7
Posted: 10/13/09 at 7:03am
It will be SOOO great to have Gavin open the show here! How about have Patina Miller join the cast as well when she leaves Sister Act?!?!?!?!?!?
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
tommyslim Profile Phototommyslim Profile Photo
tommyslim
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#8
Posted: 10/13/09 at 6:45pm
if they brought over the WHOLE Broadway cast we would have to send the equivalent amount of people over to America into a show under equity agreement.... it aint going to happen.
"Lateness is a choice" - Sir Trevor Nunn
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#9
Posted: 10/13/09 at 7:32pm
Yeah, also I really don't see the show closing over here before the proposed UK production opening up. Do you really think that they would close the Broadway show for that?
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#10
Posted: 10/13/09 at 8:37pm
Why would they have to close the Broadway production?

As for the issues with British Equity, I would think Cameron Mackintosh will have to convince them that every single member of the cast is vital to the success of the show. He's tried that before (going the opposite direction) when he wanted to bring the cast from the National Theatre's Oklahoma! to Broadway, but American Equity didn't go for it.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#11
Posted: 10/13/09 at 9:32pm
I think that there are going to be problems yet again with the bringing of the entire cast similar to what happened with Oklahoma.

I will admit that there is something special about this group of people who are up there doing the show 8 times a week. But, I don't think that it is so special and so vital to the success of the show in London that it cannot be replaced by another group of people.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#12
Posted: 10/13/09 at 11:02pm
If the Broadway cast goes to London, then they have to close the Broadway production as there would be no Broadway cast.... or were you referring to the current cast. Either way, I do not see this happening.

I do agree---the group on Broadway right now is VERY special :)
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#13
Posted: 10/14/09 at 12:08am
sgv123, You're not making any sense. The poster who mentioned the cast going to London was talking about the entire original revival cast. The group of people that are doing the show right now on Broadway. You're not making any sense because even if this were to happen (which I doubt) then you're not taking into account the fact that there are other actors in New York who can play the roles.

peachesr
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#14
Posted: 10/14/09 at 6:05am
I think it's more probable that Gavin Creel would come over, he's worked in the West End before, and maybe Will Swenson, for a limited run. I highly doubt they'll bring the whole cast over, Equity would go nuts, and while they're an extremely good cast, Im sure we could do just as well with our own performers.
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#15
Posted: 10/14/09 at 7:43am
I fully understand what the OP is trying to say. I asked if he/she was referring to the ORC in my last post.
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#16
Posted: 10/14/09 at 12:25pm
Ummm didn't the entire company of Hamlet go over to Broadway with Jude Law?

I would be surprised if they bring over an entire cast for this but at the very least I would hope we could get Gavin Creel and Will Swenson AND no British pop stars
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#17
Posted: 10/14/09 at 12:32pm
Id much rather have the whole cast of N2N come over, which I think is more likely.

Several members of the B'way cast have already moved on to new things.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#18
Posted: 10/14/09 at 1:57pm
mrkringas, I think that the whole cast of Hamlet coming over could be the exchange for the entire cast of August going to London. Keep in mind that while the entire original cast of Osage County was doing the show in London, they were doing it as an equity exchange. My guess is that Hamlet could be the UK's side of that exchange. That is only my guess because I know that American Equity usually likes to keep the number of people crossing over to either be one for one or to be at equal value. Having the entire cast of a London show come to Broadway for a limited run would be equal having the entire cast of a Broadway show come to London for a limited run.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#19
Posted: 10/15/09 at 3:16pm
If it counts for anything, we did just send you guys the entire cast of Love's Labour's Lost. Isn't that worth a few months of Creel at the very least? re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#20
Posted: 10/15/09 at 4:32pm
Winston, the August transfer was produced by the National Theatre and the Jude Law revival of Hamlet was produced by the Donmar Warehouse, so I would highly doubt that they are two sides of an exchange.
theatreguy Profile Phototheatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#21
Posted: 10/15/09 at 7:06pm
August was most likely an example of the entire cast being vitally important to the production.

Hamlet was probably an instance of either the entire cast tansfers, or the production doesn't come at all (due to Jude Law's schedule and a lack of rehearsal time between London and New York). The Norman Conquests last spring was a similar situation. Matthew Warchus didn't have time to completely rehearse a new cast, but he could spare a few weeks to get the London cast back up to speed after a few months off. If American Equity hadn't let the British actors come over, the production wouldn't have happened.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#22
Posted: 10/16/09 at 3:54am
"Winston, the August transfer was produced by the National Theatre and the Jude Law revival of Hamlet was produced by the Donmar Warehouse, so I would highly doubt that they are two sides of an exchange."

Iím not sure that who the producers are matters Ė I thought that itís all channelled and managed through Equity and managed across the UK as a whole?

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#23
Posted: 10/17/09 at 4:21pm
Eastwickian is right. The producers mean jack squat in an equity exchange. The main thing that does matter is the cast and where they are from and what union they are part of.

I do agree with what was said by theatreguy about why the cast of Norman went over and why the cast of Hamlet went over and why August's cast went over as well.

i think that they wouldn't bring in the entire cast of Hair due to the fact that they are not vitally important to this production. And, B when the revival starts rehearsals it would be with enough time to work with a fresh new cast.
mcalpine84
Understudy
Understudy
re: Hair bought in by Cameron Mackintosh#24
Posted: 11/13/09 at 9:30am
From Julie Athertons Twitter...

"@EquityUK answer me this:How is the whole broadway cast of hair allowed to transfer 2 west end when theres a shortage of jobs here?"

Apparently its going to the Geilgud, not the Novello now!