Page: 1

Off to the US for a feast of theatre!

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#1
Posted: 10/9/09 at 7:10pm
I'm now all packed and ready to go on my Fall trip the USA (heading to London on Sunday, flying to Boston Monday and taking the train down to NYC next Friday). It's going to be a real feast of theatre in 3 cities (15 shows in 12 days) - and quite an eclectic mix of shows at that, including shows in the final weekend of the New York Musical Theatre Festival. Here's my full theatrical itinerary:
Sun 11 - BathHouse the musical (London)
Tues 13 - Maureen McGovern in concert (Boston)
Wed 14 - Oleanna (Boston)
Fri 16 - The Toxic Avenger (off-Broadway)
Sat 17 - All Fall Down (NYMF)
Academy (NYMF)
The Last Smoker In America (NYMF)
Chita Rivera (Birdland)
Sun 18 - Ordinary Days (off-Broadway)
The Toymaker (NYMF)
Next To Normal (Broadway)
Mon 19 - Finian's Rainbow (Broadway)
Tues 20 - Bye Bye Birdie (Broadway)
Wed 21 - God Of Carnage (Broadway)
Thursday 22 - A Stage Kindly - Bravo! (Freedom Bar, Soho -They're singing 2 songs from my show After The Turn - so I hope I don't fall asleep after my overnight flight the previous night! lol)

I'll post my views on the various shows after I get home.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 10/9/09 at 07:10 PM
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#2
Posted: 10/9/09 at 7:16pm
Hey Bob, I'm off to NYC in 2 weeks time - you always manage to beat me by a week or so!

I'm seeing (so far):

A Steady Rain
Billy Elliot
Bye Bye Birdie
Finian's Rainbow
Hair (for the second time)
Burn The Floor
The Royal Family

...and anything else that crops up between now and then.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#2
Posted: 10/9/09 at 7:27pm
Hope you enjoy your trip Hotjohn! We can wave to each other as our flights pass each other lol. I almost booked to be there the same time as you - but I wanted to catch the New York Musical Theatre Festival. (The downside is I'll be missing the first preview of Ragtime by a couple of days!)

Glad to see you got into Steady Rain - I couldn't get a ticket when I tried to book! I see we're overlapping on 2 shows (BBB & FR) - we'll have to compare notes. I saw Hair last trip and loved it as well as BE, which I loved even more than the London production. (I still think Next To Normal is the best show currently on Broadway though - apart from those I've not seen yet of course! So I'm really looking forward to seeing that again.)
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
UKtheatrekid
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#3
Posted: 10/9/09 at 8:32pm
Hotjhn, i knew i recognised you!
i was the kid sat next to you at The fastest clock in thye universe!
x
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#4
Posted: 10/9/09 at 8:42pm
Bob, firstly I hope you have a fantastic time, see you are seeing a few hardcore shows, like a theatre aficionado you are.

See that Finian's Rainbow has a good write up on the Broadway board for it first preview, definitely worth seeing Next to Normal again, I would do the same.

Take it the three cities you are going to are; London, Boston and New York.

I hope to be out there in March or April.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#5
Posted: 10/9/09 at 8:48pm
Yes, Phantom - the 3 "theatre" cities are Boston, NYC and London. And I will also have 1 non-theatre night in Mystic Connecticut (stopping over on my train trip from Boston to New York).
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#6
Posted: 10/10/09 at 3:51am
no one seems to be attending the new revival of RAGTIME !
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#7
Posted: 10/10/09 at 8:41am
Matt - I'd def be seeing Ragtime if I'd known the starting date of previews before I booked my trip! I'm hoping it will still be running when I get to New York again next year.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#8
Posted: 10/10/09 at 6:51pm
Bob I take it you are in no rush to see Memphis?

If I was in New York right now, I definitely be tempted to see Billy Elliot, Shrek and Next to Normal again, of the new shows, I would like to see Finian's Rainbow, Bye Bye Birdie and Ragtime.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#9
Posted: 10/10/09 at 6:57pm
Also Bob, I see some gaps in your schedule;

Monday 12th
Thursday 15th

I was going to say are you not seeing anything on the 21st for the matinee, but the penny dropped and I assume you are going to see God of Carnage for the matinee, then make your way to the hotel?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#10
Posted: 10/10/09 at 7:17pm
Phantom - I would have liked to have seen Memphis. But, after booking all the other shows I wanted to see, the only slot I had left was the Wednesday matinee - and there is no Wed Matinee of Memphis next week! So I booked God of Carnage instead.

You mention yopu'd like to see Shrek again - I'm afraid I could not suffer that again under any circumstances. It was pure torture the first time round lol. Boring beyond belief.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#11
Posted: 10/11/09 at 10:22pm
hotjohn, if your smart. You would save your money on Burn The Floor and see almost anything else on Broadway or off Broadway for that mater.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Off to the US for a feast of theatre!#12
Posted: 10/12/09 at 6:40pm
Winston - Burn The Floor is really for my other half who is a big ballroom dancing fan (there are, at least, lots of topless guys in the show as far as I can see).

UKtheatrekid - nice to chat with you, if only briefly, at the Hampstead Theatre (just be grateful I didn't dress in the style of the show as I often do or I'd have been in my underwear!).