Page: 1

LazyTown Live! The Pirate Adventure

turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
LazyTown Live! The Pirate Adventure#1
Posted: 8/31/09 at 10:18am
OK, not sure if anyone actually wants a review of LazyTown Live! The Pirate Adventure but I will give one anyway.
Firstly I stand by my previous comment that children in the theatre aren't bad, their parents are. At least 5 parents were taking photos during the show and 2 tried filming it! The ushers had their work cut out. The lady in front of me thought nothing of checking her balance on her phone then trying to organise her social life on her partner's Blackberry. The usher asked her not to use her phone and got the response "I'm only texting" before the lady realised that wasn't a good defence and went to the lobby to continue.
Anyway, on to the show. It was too short and not enough songs. Once you take out the interval it was only a little over an hour, I know that children can't concentrate for too long but the second act could easily have been 10 minutes longer, they could have stretched the plot out a bit more. The plot was OK and definitely stronger than some 'proper' shows like We Will Rock You and it wasn't as predicatable as I thought it might be (other than the good guys winning of course). The singing was good but the sound mixing was poor where I was and Stephanie especially wasn't strong enough compared to the (recorded) music. I was quite near the desk so not sure why this was so. The whole cast gave excellent performances without going over the top which must be tempting and none of them played for laughs. Sportacus seemed a little restrained with his acrobatics but on that schedule (up to 3 shows a day) I guess he has to be careful.
The set was basic but effective with painted flat houses, tree and pirate ship and not too much else. One disappointment was the TV screen that was lowered in when needed, it wasn't dressed up at all and looked far too industrial, it would have been easy to put an cloud shape around it or something.
A standout moment for me was Robbie Rotten's quick change from normal clothes to pirate, he walked behind the door and walked through in his new costume. it must have been a double or some witchcraft to achieve that. I'm sure that it was lost on the vast majority of the children and the audience as a whole.

Overall an enjoyable evening but it was over too quickly and had I paid full price (up to ?28.50) I would have been quite disappointed. I am however sure that not one of the children left disappointed and this was an excellent introduction to theatre for them.

On a side note the new stalls bar at The Mayflower looks amazing and is much bigger as they have taken out some walls. They have taken away a lot of the old pictures but luckily not all of them and portraits of many past performers remain in a new thoroughly renovated and brighter bar. I understand the circle bar has been similarly renovated as well as a lot of the backstage areas of course.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LazyTown Live! The Pirate Adventure#2
Posted: 9/1/09 at 2:47pm
Grow up!!!
lol
x
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: LazyTown Live! The Pirate Adventure#2
Posted: 9/1/09 at 2:50pm
Grow up!!!
NO!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: LazyTown Live! The Pirate Adventure#3
Posted: 9/1/09 at 2:52pm
Peter Frigging Pan!

When I was about your age or younger there were great productions for kids touring the UK like 'Winnie The Pooh' 'Pinnocio' 'Paddington Bear' The Lion The Witch' etc etc, all in brilliant productions but with budgets that today would cover just a weeks program sales for the likes of 'Lazy Town' etc today. I used to love seeing these great shows which included the wonderful productions by David Wood of 'The Gingerbread Man' and others.
Updated On: 9/1/09 at 02:52 PM