Page: 1

God of Carnage - any views?

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
God of Carnage - any views?#1
Posted: 8/29/09 at 7:30pm
I'm still trying to fill the last free slot in my schedule of shows/plays in New York in October and I'm thinking possibly of God Of Carnage - but I don't really know the play at all other than by its award winning pedigree. Has anyone seen it? And, if so, any comments will be welcome.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: God of Carnage - any views?#2
Posted: 8/29/09 at 7:33pm
re: God of Carnage - any views?
Spectacular!
One of the best plays in London recently along with 'August: Osage County'.
Updated On: 8/29/09 at 07:33 PM
TIGGOSAURUS Profile PhotoTIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: God of Carnage - any views?#2
Posted: 8/29/09 at 8:12pm
I saw it from SRO in New York earlier this year (bargainous!) and I'd recommend it based on that experience - very snappy, thought-provoking and fast-moving with an extremely talented cast (Marcia Gay Harden being the standout for me).

That being said I don't know if I'd pay top price for it, but that might be because (a) I prefer musicals (b) it doesn't have a very long running time.

Also, my opinion is that there don't seem to be a lot of must-see alternatives in NYC at the moment... :-{
Seen some shows in my time....
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: God of Carnage - any views?#3
Posted: 8/30/09 at 3:33am
Friends who saw the West End version were a bit ho-hum about it.

I avoided it because I thought Art was pretentious crap.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: God of Carnage - any views?#4
Posted: 8/30/09 at 4:43am
I saw it, thought "well, that was all right", then went home and reread Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. The latter, even when just written on the page, remains the vastly superior example of two couples failing to have a civilised evening together. See it if there's nothing else you fancy, but don't expect it to be the be-all and end-all of non-musical drama.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: God of Carnage - any views?#5
Posted: 8/30/09 at 5:11am
Thanks everyone for your comments - very helpful. It certainly looks as if it's worth a try. The relatively short running time is actually an advantage as it happens as I'll be seeing it on the afternoon before flying back to London that evening. And there's not a lot else that I fancy other than musicals/plays I've already seen. I was thinking of Oleanna but I've just seen that there is a production of that in Boston (where I'll be for a few days before New York) so I can fit that in there.

And the New York cast seems pretty amazing. And a play will be a nice change after 9 musicals in 5 days!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: God of Carnage - any views?#6
Posted: 8/31/09 at 9:15am
It's a very different piece to her 'Art' which I hated!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: God of Carnage - any views?#7
Posted: 8/31/09 at 10:43am
I've now booked my ticket for God of Carnage! Front row centre aisle (it's actually the same seat I had when I saw Jason Robert Brown's 13 there last October!). I've also booked to see Oleanna in Boston - so it will be 9 musicals, 1 solo concert and 2 plays during my 10 day stay in the US. (Can't wait!)