Page: 1

Pantomime- Changing traditions??

theatrejoe Profile Phototheatrejoe Profile Photo
theatrejoe
Understudy
Understudy
Pantomime- Changing traditions??#1
Posted: 8/27/09 at 7:56am
Hey guys! Looking at the various panto's this year, it seems thins are now on the change. Principal boy seems to have died out completely, and now there seem to be many more male Peter Pans than female. I personally think it's great as I much prefer male peter's to female. Any thoughts on this??
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Pantomime- Changing traditions??#2
Posted: 8/27/09 at 7:57am
I rather enjoy a good traditional Principal Boy - and thankfully my favourite panto palace (Hackney Empire) stick with tradition.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Pantomime- Changing traditions??#2
Posted: 8/27/09 at 8:00am
Have to say its one tradition I dont mind seeing go. Prefer boys play boys, girls play girls
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Pantomime- Changing traditions??#3
Posted: 8/27/09 at 8:01am
"Prefer boys play boys, girls play girls "

The thought of a female dame is an atrocity not worth contemplating.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Pantomime- Changing traditions??#4
Posted: 8/27/09 at 8:05am
ah sorry, yeah excluding the Dame. Just meant principal boy really lol
theatrejoe Profile Phototheatrejoe Profile Photo
theatrejoe
Understudy
Understudy
re: Pantomime- Changing traditions??#5
Posted: 8/27/09 at 8:17am
Ye, I was also just talking principal boy/peter pan! lol a female dame insn't a very nice thought!! I think a few in-house productions are still using principal boy, York Theatre Royal definitely does, and Harrogate Theatre. Perhaps Nottingham Playhouse??
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Pantomime- Changing traditions??#6
Posted: 8/28/09 at 7:13am
It hasn't always been a tradition to have a girl as principal boy. It has always depended on the director and also, oddly, theatre location. Some regions of the UK preferred the boy being a boy and others the girl being the girl.
The London Palladium kind of started the big break from girl to boy when huge stars such as Cliff Richard and Tommy Steele played principal boy in the huge pantos of the 60s though the likes of Cilla Black and Lulu also kept the foot in the door for the girls.
re: Pantomime- Changing traditions??
The dame is a different story and has almost always ben played by a man with a few rare exceptions. Hylda Baker played Widow Twanky in Wimbledon back in the 70s. Mollie Sugden was the London Palladiums only dame as Sarah The Cook in 'Dick Whittington' back in the 80s. Casting a lady as a dame has mainly been a 'name draw' thing and has never really sat comfortably with audiences.
Todays kids just don't get involved in panto the way they did as little as 20 years ago.

Updated On: 8/28/09 at 07:13 AM
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Pantomime- Changing traditions??#7
Posted: 8/28/09 at 7:30am
1973 and Maggie Smith took to the skies as Peter Pan.

This famous Robert Helpman production of 'Peter Pan' was often seen in London and Manchester in the 60s and 70s starring Gayle Hunnicut, Lulu, Susan Hampshire and Jane Asher.
Updated On: 8/28/09 at 07:30 AM