Page: 1

Are both Virgin Megastores in The West End closed?

nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Was in London 2 years ago and went into both Virgin Megastores in The West End. Was just reading online, and it said that all Virgin Megastores in the UK are gone....closed up. Did another company take them over......like HMV? Very, very sad.

I'm going to London on Saturday for 2 weeks, and was so looking forward to going into Virgin again since most of them are all gone here in the US.
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Zavvi took them over and then they went bankrupt so yep they'll be closed!
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Zavvi went under too? I remember walking into what used to be a Virgin last year and all the signage looked to be the same, but it wasn't until I checked out did I notice it was a different store!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Zavvi went into administration last year right before the Christmas shopping season and closed down after the January sales period. They've relaunched recently as a web only store.

The downside is that HMV now have a near monopoly on high street music and DVDs, which means their prices feel a bit higher than always. Thank goodness for the internet!
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
In Southampton we used to have Tower Records, HMV and Virgin Megastore as well as a good music section in Woolworths.
Tower Records didn't last long and the location is now a Pret a Manger! Virgin will soon be a Barclays bank and Woolworths closed down even before the end of Woolworths country-wide.
My town of Eastleigh has nothing resembling a music shop after our independent shop and Our-Price closed long ago.
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Isn't there a place in "The Mall" (It'll always be The Marlands to me!) that buys and sells CD's and DVD's etc. CEX, or something like that!

(this is about So'ton BTW)
Updated On: 8/19/09 at 05:41 AM
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes CEX is there, but it is actually more expensive sometimes than HMV, or the same price for second hand stuff. Some bargains though
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Saying all this, I havent actually bought a CD since the Sweeny Todd Movie soundtrack and a DVD since Sex and the City movie came out, I really think downloading is to blame for all these shops shutting down... but I dont mind, its quicker, easier and cheaper!
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CEX is *INSANELY* overpriced unless you're buying Blu-Ray, in which case you can actually get some secondhand bargains. I actually saw a Dr. Who DVD at CEX Goodge Street going for 12 used that cost me 4 new. It made me quite tempted to order a few more copies online to resell...

If you're among the people who still buy legit media (I confess that my buying is pretty much limited to DVD these days), there are tonnes of places online where you can land a bargain, not least of which are Play and TheHut. Plus, as an added bonus, you can usually get an extra 5% cash back if you buy through a co-op like Quidco. Just check a site like find-dvd.co.uk first and then make the actual purchase through your membership.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Some of the Zavvi stores are still trading under the name 'Head' in various places around the country, though I've not seen any in central London. HMV also bought a few of their old stores, but I believe that the big flagship store in Picadilly is still empty...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Piccadilly store (which was previously Tower Records) is still empty. The Oxford Street location is now a HyperHyper, which looks like a slightly less chavvy version of Primark.
TimesSquareRegular Profile PhotoTimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow.... I was under the impression that only the U.S. Virgin stores were gone! Well, on all my previous stays in London I always spent much too much time in Virgin, Tower, etc. anyway, and ended spending way too much money!
2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)
nealb1 Profile Photonealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for the replies to my posting. I'm so sad to hear that both locations are closed up.

I'll be staying in The West End. Are there any record/cd stores, like Tower or Virgin, that are open? Is there a HVM?
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There's a large HMV by Oxford Circus and smaller ones near Covent Garden and in Trocadero. There's also a Fopp (owned by HMV) by Leicester Square where Shaftesbury Avenue and Charing Cross Road intersect.