Jersey Boys Understudies

Khashoggi Profile PhotoKhashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Jersey Boys Understudies#1
Posted: 8/10/09 at 8:33pm
Hello all! Could anyone post a full list of understudies for the current London cast of Jersey Boys please? Cheers!
"I will join this conversation on the proviso that we stop bitching about people. Wigs, dresses, bust sizes, penises, nightclubs and bloody Kylie!" - Bernadette, Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#2
Posted: 8/11/09 at 8:45am
I don't have a full list, but I saw Kieran Jae go on for Stephen Ashfield. He was f*cking sh*t.
MH2 Profile PhotoMH2 Profile Photo
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#2
Posted: 8/16/09 at 8:44pm
Do you still need this list? I went again on Saturday afternoon and finally got the programme with the current cast (and I agree with lovepigeon on Kieran Jae, was not impressed at all).
megs1122 Profile Photomegs1122 Profile Photo
megs1122
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#3
Posted: 8/16/09 at 9:28pm
I am absolutely dumbfounded at your mean comments. I think that Kieran is one of the most talented cast members and his voice is absolutely amazing. Get over your selves and if you can't say anything nice, just don't say it at all.
Shows seen in 2011: Rock of Ages (WE, Shaftesbury Theatre - 7 Oct), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 1 Sep), Cirque du Soleil: Zarkana (Broadway, Radio City Music Hall - 26 Aug), RENT (Broadway, New World Stages - 25 Aug), Hair (Broadway, St. James Theatre - 24 Aug), The Book of Mormon (Broadway *WON LOTTO*, Eugene O'Neill Theatre - 24 Aug), Dress Circle Benefit Gala (WE, Her Majesty's Theatre - 7 Aug), Derren Brown: Svengali (WE, Shaftesbury Theatre - 6 July), Lend me a Tenor the Musical (WE, Gielgud Theatre - 3 June), Lord of the Flies (WE, Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park - 2 June), In a Forest Dark and Deep (WE, Vaudeville Theatre - 31 May), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 28 May), The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (WE, Gielgud Theatre - 2 May), Priscilla Queen of the Desert (WE, Palace Theatre - 29 Apr), Les Miserables (WE, Queens Theatre - 20 Apr), Thrill me (WE, Tristan Bates Theatre - 14 Apr), Ghost the Musical (Manchester, Opera House - 13 Apr), Million Dollar Quartere (WE, Noel Coward Theatre - 5 Apr), The Lion King (WE, Lyceum Theatre - 16 Mar), The Exonerated (WE, Charing Cross Theatre - 15 Mar), The Children's Hour (WE, Comedy Theatre - 14 Mar), Clybourne Park (WE, Wyndhams Theatre - 12 Mar), Company (WE, Southwark Playhouse - 12 Mar), The 25th annual putnam county spelling bee (WE, Donmar - 2 March), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 11 Feb), Million Dollar Quartet (WE, Noel Coward - 9 Feb), Love Story (WE, Duchess Theatre - 7 Feb), Lance Horne:First things last (WE, Garrick Theatre - 30 Jan), La Boheme (WE, Soho Theatre - 29 Jan), Legally Blonde (WE, Savoy Theatre - 10.Jan)
BobbysGirl
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#4
Posted: 8/17/09 at 2:32am
Well I gotta be honest with you, you clearly have no clue what you are talking about!
Kieran Jae is one of the best actors on that stage, period!
I have seen him in 4 of the 5 roles he understudies, and he brings that effortless sparkle to each one.
Gaudio is Kieran's favourite role, and you can see that he enjoys it, from the moment he appears on that stage, and sits at the keyboard. From is slightly vamped up Cry For Me to his facial expressions and interactions with Glenn Carter, putting a slight fear of DeVito into his reactions, right up until they "hit the iceberg with Tommy, and the $150K"
He is certainly wasted as a swing
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#5
Posted: 8/17/09 at 4:13am
He really was awful when I saw him. His acting wasn't bad, but his singing was shaky and although the choreography is pretty basic, he was consistently out of time. The time I saw him, I'd taken my mum. It was the first time she'd seen it so I thought she wouldn't notice how shockingly inferior he was to Stephen Ashfield, but even she commented on how rubbish he was. He may well have improved since then, but when I saw him, he really was bloody awful.
BobbysGirl
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#6
Posted: 8/17/09 at 6:59am
I have never yet seen Kieran put in a poor performance, whatever the role. His voice is great, he has a slightly rougher edge to it, than the quieter Stephen, and it is something I personally prefer. He also teaches dance, and has many students, so I very much doubt he is as bad as you deem him to be.
Personally, I like Stephen Ashfield, but I feel he can, at times, be very complacent and not put in any effort, which really shows in his performance, and I can, on occasion, walk away feeling disappointed. Dis-advantage of doing 8 shows a week, maybe? Whereas I feel the swing cast give it their all, and with very few exceptions, make the most of their time on the stage, dishing out fantastic performances.
If I had to choose an actor for the role of Gaudio, I would choose Kieran Jae over Stephen Ashfield, even with Stephen on top form.
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#7
Posted: 8/17/09 at 7:53am
"Get over your selves and if you can't say anything nice, just don't say it at all. "

This is a messageboard - a discussionboard, so why not say something when you did not like someone? That's what these places are for.
If I just want to drool over performers than I got to fansites' forums where they discuss the performers' bums and I do not know what else.
You might like him, I did not. E.g. he did not harmonise well with Jye Frasca (who is fantastic as Frankie), off key a lot of times, not hitting the notes (and yes, I know when someone misses a note as I have singing experience) whom I saw on Saturday afternoon as Frankie I thought during the numbers the two did together (Listening to him during "Let's Hang On" hurt) was and I did not like his portrayal of Bob Gaudio very much.
Others e.g. did not like Ben Wheeler as Tommy as I could hear around me in the interval, I thought he was brilliant.
I personally do not care what else he does besides his stage job, he just did not impress me doing this job.
I have also seen Kieran in Mamma Mia as Pepper and as Eddie and I know what is capable of, but his performance on Saturday was not what I was used to from him.
I also have friends who had been to Jersey Boys and who had seen Kieran as Bob Gaudio and they had said the same´, so it is not just me and lovepigeon who did not like him.
So you like him, some others don't - get over it that there are people who criticise your beloved performer.
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#8
Posted: 8/17/09 at 10:18am
Chill guys... everyone is entitled to their opinion. However i think it's a little odd that it's all posters who joined recently saying he's awesome... MH2 hits the nail on the head. This is a discussion board where people air the view they have on a show, performer, performance etc. Not everything that is said on the board is going to please everyone but the majority of posters hear have the respect to appreciate different opinions held by different people. Perhaps you should take a step away from the keyboard, take a deep breath and rememeber that whatever you post... someone is going to disagree with no matter how much you try and convince them otherwise.

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
Updated On: 8/17/09 at 10:18 AM
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#9
Posted: 8/17/09 at 10:22am
MH2, you can't see or hear this, but I'm sitting at my desk applauding that post.

BobbysGirl, I appreciate Kieran's probably a great performer usually but when I saw him, he was beyond dire. You obviously did not see the same performance so you cannot convince me I saw otherwise, and just because you disagree, it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

As MH2 says, this is a discussion board. We enjoy discussing and we appreciate a range of opinions. We do not always agree and only shoot each other down in flames in jest. If you just want to fawn over certain performers and have other people do the same, there are places to do that. This isn't one of them... we're more grown up than that.

I fully appreciate that you think Kieran Jae is great, and I don't think it's too much to ask that you accept that I really don't.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#10
Posted: 8/17/09 at 11:40am
Am I in the right place?

Whats with all these understudy requests - does noone buy programmes?

Anyone else getting all posts think they are links thing?
BobbysGirl
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#11
Posted: 8/17/09 at 11:46am
Perhaps, if the comments had been critical rather than insulting, then they would not illicit such a response from either myself or megs1122. Just to say someone is ?f*cking sh*t? is, as far as I am concerned, bang out of order! It does not benefit anyone to behave in that manner, nor does it show the maturity of someone wishing to ?discuss? the merits or failings of a performer, though I am sure that person would be capable of doing just that. It was the initial post that got me riled up.
No one said they were drooling / fawning over him, or any of the others, what has that got to do with their performance on the stage? I am talking about his abundance of talent, singing, acting and dancing. MH2, You say yourself, it was not your experience of him, so perhaps you saw him on an off day, but I think we may have seen the same performance, in which case, I did not see a ?problem? as such, but I did feel he was stronger in the second half.
Yes, others did not like Ben Wheeler & some of those people were friends of mine. Personally I thought he was a great performer, as he always is. However, I missed Glenn Carter, who brings a cockiness to the role, a portrayal, true of the real Tom DeVito.
It infuriates me that, people who have some ?experience? in the field, feel that they are supremely qualified, above and beyond everyone else, to have an opinion, and everyone who might dare to disagree is completely wrong, and should not express their opinion.
lovepidgeon, I am sorry you experienced such a poor performance from Kieran, because in my humble opinion, and I believe I am qualified to have one, having seen the show around 50 times (yes I am slightly addicted!!), it is a rare occasion, that I have, thankfully, yet to experience.
Perhaps give him a second try? Before saying he is ?f*cking sh*t? and upsetting his fans.
Peace Out people! I don?t want to fight, we are all entitled to or opinions, but until I see the poor performance for myself, I stand by what I say, he is one of the best actors on the stage. My other favourites being Jye Frasca, Glenn Carter and Mark Isherwood.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#12
Posted: 8/17/09 at 12:05pm
bobbysgirl, are you not yourself saying that people who disagree with you are wrong?

Lovepigeon may have been harsh but no one had to wade through a load of rubbish to understand the point.
BobbysGirl
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#13
Posted: 8/17/09 at 12:18pm
no, I am saying that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that, yes, lovepigeon's post was very harsh and upset me.
my opinion is that Kieran is brilliant, and I am sorry that lovepigeon had a poor experience of him.
I am very sorry you find my posts rubbish..... sorry for having an opinion and trying to explain it rather than just saying "f*ck off I dont agree" maybe next time, thats what I should do? is that how it works here?
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#14
Posted: 8/17/09 at 10:02pm
I just want to chime in and defend Kieran Jae's performance as Bob without sounding psychotic or like a crazy newbie.

I liked him. I saw him twice.

There!
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
megs1122
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#15
Posted: 8/17/09 at 11:56pm
Every time I post on this board I remember why I don't stick around!!! Thank you Beergoggles for taking this all to another ****ty level by not only insulting a performer with little to back it up but also taking a jab at myself and Bobbysgirl personally...and I did not just join so get your information right.
I support people having their own opinions and backing those up, I dont' like all the same performers as everyone else, that is why there are things called discussion boards. But in no way shape or form is just coming on here and answering a post about "who are the understudies?" with the rude post that you did, lovepigeon.

Shows seen in 2011: Rock of Ages (WE, Shaftesbury Theatre - 7 Oct), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 1 Sep), Cirque du Soleil: Zarkana (Broadway, Radio City Music Hall - 26 Aug), RENT (Broadway, New World Stages - 25 Aug), Hair (Broadway, St. James Theatre - 24 Aug), The Book of Mormon (Broadway *WON LOTTO*, Eugene O'Neill Theatre - 24 Aug), Dress Circle Benefit Gala (WE, Her Majesty's Theatre - 7 Aug), Derren Brown: Svengali (WE, Shaftesbury Theatre - 6 July), Lend me a Tenor the Musical (WE, Gielgud Theatre - 3 June), Lord of the Flies (WE, Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park - 2 June), In a Forest Dark and Deep (WE, Vaudeville Theatre - 31 May), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 28 May), The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (WE, Gielgud Theatre - 2 May), Priscilla Queen of the Desert (WE, Palace Theatre - 29 Apr), Les Miserables (WE, Queens Theatre - 20 Apr), Thrill me (WE, Tristan Bates Theatre - 14 Apr), Ghost the Musical (Manchester, Opera House - 13 Apr), Million Dollar Quartere (WE, Noel Coward Theatre - 5 Apr), The Lion King (WE, Lyceum Theatre - 16 Mar), The Exonerated (WE, Charing Cross Theatre - 15 Mar), The Children's Hour (WE, Comedy Theatre - 14 Mar), Clybourne Park (WE, Wyndhams Theatre - 12 Mar), Company (WE, Southwark Playhouse - 12 Mar), The 25th annual putnam county spelling bee (WE, Donmar - 2 March), Jersey Boys (WE, Prince Edward Theatre - 11 Feb), Million Dollar Quartet (WE, Noel Coward - 9 Feb), Love Story (WE, Duchess Theatre - 7 Feb), Lance Horne:First things last (WE, Garrick Theatre - 30 Jan), La Boheme (WE, Soho Theatre - 29 Jan), Legally Blonde (WE, Savoy Theatre - 10.Jan)
BobbysGirl
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#16
Posted: 8/18/09 at 2:31am
just a few observations......

LizzieCurry, I love your avatar, its fantastic! & I like being a psychotic, crazie newbie, its fun lol

I agree with megs1122, the major reason I rarely join or post on boards like this, because opinions, unless they follow the masses, are shot down and spat on.

I pity any of you who critique Ryan Molloy's performance, which I have had cause to do on occassion. Because if you think I am defensive over my favourite actor, you ain't seen nothing yet. There are fans who will only go to see him & exchange tickets, if it turns out he is not there, for whatever reason. Who wont hear anything good about either Scott Monello or Jye Frasca (who I deem to be the best Frankie, by a long chalk!)....
Oh and for the record, I love these people, I might not agree withthem, but they rock!
Updated On: 8/18/09 at 02:31 AM
Khashoggi Profile PhotoKhashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#17
Posted: 8/18/09 at 2:38am
So anyway..... yes I'd still love to see a list..
And no, I live in Australia and work on the Melbourne production, so I don't have a London program. I was just interested to see which people covered who in London as opposed to in Australia...
"I will join this conversation on the proviso that we stop bitching about people. Wigs, dresses, bust sizes, penises, nightclubs and bloody Kylie!" - Bernadette, Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#18
Posted: 8/18/09 at 5:24am
When did i insult the performer? Having read the post again i see no mention of the performance or performer but just my message telling people to chill. In fairness it's only you and Bobbysgirl kicking off. You're making yourself look like a fool so please continue to mouth off and show yourself for the prat you really are as it is sheer entertainment :)
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!
BobbysGirl
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#19
Posted: 8/18/09 at 5:56am
Off the top of my head.... and this is by no means completely accurate, but to best of my knowledge, without program in front of me.
Frankie Valli - Scott Monello (alternate), Jye Frasca, Ben Evans, Kieran Jae
Bob Gaudio - Kieran Jae, James Winter, Christopher D Hunt (think maybe Mark Isherwood as well, but I may be imagining it)
Tommy DeVito - Ben Wheeler, Mark Isherwood, Joseph Prouse (again think am missing someone here)
Nick Massi ? can?t remember the order here i'm afraid, but as far as I remember, Mark Isherwood, Christopher D Hunt, Ben Wheeler.
Joe Pesci - Ben Evans, Kieran Jae, Mark Isherwood
Bob Crewe - Christopher D Hunt, Ben Wheeler, Mark Isherwood
Norm Waxman - Ben Wheeler, Christopher D Hunt
Mary Delgado ? Lucinda Gill, Michelle Bishop (think also possibly Ashley Hale, but unsure)
Lorraine ? Lucinda Gill, Michelle Bishop, (think also possibly Madeleine Harland, but unsure)
Francine ? Michelle Bishop, Lucinda Gill, (think also possibly Ashley Hale, but unsure)
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#20
Posted: 8/18/09 at 9:38am
I'm 90% sure Mark Isherwood doesn't cover Bob.
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
BobbysGirl
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#21
Posted: 8/18/09 at 9:55am
the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to agree, I can check it all when I get home from work, wonder how good my memory really is .....
megs1122
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#22
Posted: 8/18/09 at 11:24am
Yea, Mark does not cover Bob...unless its a new put in. And no you are not missing anyone as Tommy cover.
MH2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#23
Posted: 8/18/09 at 12:07pm
This is the u/s list from the current programme:

re: Jersey Boys Understudies

And in regards to minority opinions: for me the best Bob Gaudio was Paul Ayres. Shame they made him go. Got to see him twice in December and he was just incredible.
Mary6
Swing
Swing
re: Jersey Boys Understudies#24
Posted: 8/21/09 at 3:57pm
I have seen the Jersey boys lots of times, and i don't like Kieran Jae as Bob Gaudio i think he is blinking awful. He plays him to childlike for my liking. I love Ben as Tommy, don't like Glenn he overacts in my opinion. Best Frankie's for me Ryan followed very closely by Jye

Page: 1