Page: 1

Hairspray - Michael/Leanne Last Show Love Thread.

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Michael Ball and Leanne Jones, who won the 2008 Laurence Olivier Awards for Best Actor and Best Actress in a Musical for their performances as Edna and Tracy Turnblad, respectively, end their runs in the London production of Hairspray July 25 at the Shaftesbury Theatre.

They will be replaced July 27 by the popular British TV and stage personality Brian Conley and newcomer Chloe Hart, respectively. Also new to the cast on July 27 will be Liam Tamne as Link Larkin.

Ball and Jones originated their roles when the production first opened in October 2007, and the production marks the longest continuing run that Ball has ever done in the West End. In a previous press statement, issued when he announced an earlier extension to his run in the show, Ball commented, "Hairspray has without doubt been one of the happiest and most fulfilling experiences of my professional life. And I am delighted to carry on being part of this phenomenon."

Good Morning Shaftsbury Theatre

One of the best musicals to hit the West End, made so good by such a good original cast.
jamiekennywicked Profile Photojamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
SO WISH I WAS THERE TONIGHT.
''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What I would give to be in London RIGHT NOW... not at Hairspray though, I could be seeing Priscilla, or Sister Act or Wicked right now... you know, a GOOD show!
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"What I would give to be in London RIGHT NOW... not at Hairspray though, I could be seeing Priscilla, or Sister Act or Wicked right now... you know, a GOOD show!"

Don't ruin the peace Con..leave the Hairspray Love thread for the lovers, and proclaim your love for your "good" shows on another thread. :P

back to Hairspray. I thought the whole original cast was so well cast! Everyone was talented in their own right, every ensemble member and swing, and they all came together so well.

i'm sure we'll see all 3 in something again, quite soon!
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OMFG! The last performances were incredible. The matinee was so much fun - heaps of little sight gags and jokes. The evening performance was pretty much perfection - the entire company gave 150% and it was very obvious that they are all going to miss Michael, Leanne and Ben.

During Michael's speech at the end, he mentioned that there is a big chance that he may be returning to the role some time in the future - I would put a lot of money that the musical booked for big runs at the big regional theatres is Hairspray, with Michael Ball headlining.

Totally worth the 24 hour camp out :)
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just one example of the matinee gags - just before Timeless when Wilbur is closing up the shop via that mechanical gears thingy, as the window curtain dropped down Michael hilariously shouted out "it's a puppet."
'ponnine
Understudy
Understudy
Fantastic shows today, wouldn't have missed them for the world :)
aka Ria
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Had a great time at the shows. Sad to see them go.
But looking forward to michael and ben on the tour.

The matinee was too funny, michaels face in his yoof appeared all over
the place. Leanne wore pink socks and dirtyed up her moves in the record shop and ben ripped open his shirt and appeared unexpectedly in welcome to the 60s. All the kisses were lengthened.

The evening was fantastic, really slick, top form from all.
Lovely speaches.

Agree with above the original cast were wonderfully well cast and I've missed them. Nice to see some about last night.

Will try and see brian/chloe/liam in the week.

Stage door carnage.