Page: 1

NY/Boston report

SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
NY/Boston report#1
Posted: 7/25/09 at 3:20pm
Not as much theatre as usual on this trip due to bad luck/bad timing-and doing other things in NY/Boston but anyway:

Rent (National Tour-Boston) While I wouldn't describe myself as a 'Renthead' (mainly because I feel too old to do so) I should mention that I did a lot of work on 'Rent' as part of my MA dissertation and for a while never wanted to see or hear the bloody thing again! I'm glad I did see this production however as it not only erased the memory of Rent remixed but (cheesy as it sounds)did remind me of why I did love this show! Pascal and Rapp are very good in the roles-and also look like they're enjoying it too, and although they do look their age now it doesn't really matter. Adam Pascal has a very strong voice live and compared with the film his acting seems to have improved also. The rest of the cast are solid too Lexi Lawson as Mimi stands out and Michael McElroy as Collins has one hell of a voice. The only 'let down' for me in the cast was Nicolette Hart as Maureen, her voice didn't seem up to it-though that could have been an off night, but overall I just didn't take to her.

Mum (who was with me on this trip) thought it was very good and pleased to see this after seeing 'Rent Remixed'

9 to 5- Loved this show, it was the only thing on Broadway I had a real 'need' to see, the three ladies are fabulous-Stephanie in particular for me-but then I already adored her. Megan Hilty I loved, having never seen/heard her before she really had the Dolly role down-but with her own humour and quirks added. Marc Kuddish was just fiendishly brilliant-I've worked for men like him! Allison Janey is an amazing actress-her big speech to Kudish is brilliant but she lacks in voice compared to the other two-but I think she makes up for it in other ways. Kathy Fitzgerald must also be mentioned for her wonderful comic turn as Roz. Overall I am sceptical about film-musicals but this really works, mainly because of Dolly's input I think-obviously not one to see if Dolly isn't your thing, highlights musically were 'Backwords Barbie' and 'Get out and Stay out' and 'Shine like the sun'. Overall a strong fun story with some cracking leading ladies made for a great evening of theatre.

Mum says-she likes a bit of Dolly and it was a good old fashioned romp

Sherk the Musical- I never thought I'd see this one to be honest but Next to Normal had only restricted view on TKTs and I'd just advised a couple from Caerphilly (we Welsh get everywhere) to see it rather than Mermaid so I decided to give it a go. I'm glad we did-it was funny the music better than I thought with some really great numbers and some great performances. Sutton Foster with a better role than 'Young Frank.' gets some great comic moments and a couple of great songs-also a great dance number. Brian d'Arcy James does a good job with Shrek and a passable scottish accent! Daniel Breaker was a highlight for me as Donkey I would have liked to see more of JOhn Tartaglia however. The book I felt was strong-loved the musical theatre references-Wicked in particular but a lot of the jokes seemed to go over the head of the audience-one in particular about sending fanmail to the little Mermaid practically had tumbleweed! As Mum said: 'Nice bit of humour and loved the musical references even if the Americans didn't get it.'

That's it-would have liked to see more but didn't manage it!

Thanks to those who gave me travel advise for Boston-we went to Salem and Provincetown. Salem was a bit dissappointing, a bit too theme-park for my liking, but the tour we took was informative and it was a pleasant town to spend a day in. I loved Provincetown and could spend a couple of days there-enjoying the beaches in the day, shopping and some of the theatre/cabaret in the evening. It was 'Bear week' when we were there...had to explain that to Mum....
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY/Boston report#2
Posted: 7/26/09 at 12:22am
I don't think Provincetown is somewhere I'd have taken my mother.
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: NY/Boston report#2
Posted: 7/26/09 at 9:49am
ha ha indeed, luckily-or maybe not-it takes a lot to shock my mother! There were however a few people on our boat over who I think were in for a shock!
joe5 Profile Photojoe5 Profile Photo
joe5
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: NY/Boston report#3
Posted: 7/28/09 at 9:15am
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Here is a great website for P'town. So you can plan ahead next time !

http://www.ptown.org/Calendar.asp
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY/Boston report#4
Posted: 7/28/09 at 3:02pm
Thanks for posting all. I really hope to make it to Provincetown and Cape Cod in the not too distant future.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY/Boston report#5
Posted: 7/28/09 at 3:09pm
I keep meaning to go to Boston, but when trying to book it, my hans slips to New York!!

Scripps you must like Provincetown and Cape Cod, as you been there before? Do you ever get down to New York.
sgv123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: NY/Boston report#6
Posted: 7/28/09 at 11:50pm
Glad you enjoyed your trip, my family lives in and around Harwich Port. Ptown is one of our favourite places to go. Very friendly people, and great shops. I look forward to go there in a couple of weeks. An odd question, but did you happen to see a little place called "Burger Queen"?
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: NY/Boston report#7
Posted: 7/29/09 at 6:06am
No I didn't notice a place called Burger Queen sorry! It was a bit of a fleeting visit though! We did have very nice Pizza at a place called 'twisted sisters'.

Would love to go back with people my own age to enjoy the nightlife-I draw the line at taking my mother there!