N2N West End?

MichaelUK92 Profile PhotoMichaelUK92 Profile Photo
MichaelUK92
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
N2N West End? #1
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:08pm
Was just asking if there's any news or suggestion of a next to normal transfer to the west end? i heard something about it a few weeks ago, but i'm thinking that was just a blip.

any news on this? or is it just a lost cause?

Thanks in advance for your comments and answers.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #2
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:33pm
I think a lot of people would love to se eit here including myself (amazing show) but if it does come i think it will be a limitred run somewhere
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #2
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:35pm
N2N
NO
LOL

They wouldn't dare-Tony Award or no Tony Award!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #3
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:44pm
ignore Mamma he hates it lol
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #4
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:49pm
...but I speak level headedly.
Look at Spring Awakening etc. In this climate a very very American tale like N2N would not work here.
Think about it!
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #5
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:51pm
I could see it being perfect for a limited run at the National or if the Donmar were keeping up their West End season.
frapperia
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: N2N West End? #6
Posted: 7/23/09 at 3:51pm
Exactly, keep it Aussie :P
MichaelUK92 Profile PhotoMichaelUK92 Profile Photo
MichaelUK92
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: N2N West End? #7
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:03pm
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

BUT Spring Awakening DID do a run, however short it was, it did still perform.

I hope N2N does do some sort of performance, but doubt it. Sounds like some sort of mini-tour has been created for 2010, so might have to wait a while.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #8
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:07pm
BUT Spring Awakening was given as big a West End opening as most shows could only dream of AND it didnt work!

Its now in the books as a very major flop.
Updated On: 7/23/09 at 04:07 PM
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #9
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:11pm
I LOVED Spring Awakening, and it did a VERY successful limited run, sold out at most performances, it was however, the full time transfer where they got HUGE problems!

Just abit of triva about it, the ticket sales (on percentage) were average, some weeks above for west end ticket sales... however, not on a single week (except the final week) did it even make enough money to cover running costs!

However much I LOVED it, it does have to be deemed Epic Fail!
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #10
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:20pm
Do you not think it would be a good one to bring over to the National for a 2 month or so run once it is done on Broadway?
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #11
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:24pm
yes yes yes yes yes nearly orgasmic now, yes yes, done.

Terrific show that deserves to be seen by a British audience.
Mama talking with a wise tongue here, (he always does) it could come over and fall on its face, just like Spring Awakening, even with 24 carat reviews and worth noting Rent and Drowsy did the same, all 3 shows had a bucket fall of Tony's.

However N2N would be a cheap show to cast and stage, when a New York export takes, it does very well, so be well worth a the gamble to bring here.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #12
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:26pm
British audiences haven't got a clue what it is!
ITs not a story that will sell well to a British audience - Psycho American family musical!
'Oh yes Mildred lets take the kids to the matinee!'
I dont think so.
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #13
Posted: 7/23/09 at 4:36pm
No offence, but you could use that argument for ALOT of things, doesnt mean there ISNT a market for it, just not the family market!

I think next to normal could do a healthy 6 week run!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #14
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:06pm
Mamma i have to say i think you are very wrong this time (though i do still love you with sprinkles on)

This is not a show which just appeals to american audiences, this show is not about an American famaily its about a famaily dealing with an issue...mental ilness, and that effects everybody, believe me i know 1st hand.

The argument that nobody here knows what the show is is also a bit of a silly one, nobody ever knows what a new show is until it opens, then and only then can we see if a show will run or not.

I know you are not a fan of the show but you have to look it at from a point of view that is not one of a personal opinion. N2N Blew the critics away and is enjoying great sucess through word of mouth, when the show 1st opened for its Broadway run it was playing to 40/50 percent capacity, however once the reviews came out it jumped in to the 90s and stayed there.

I dont think N2N will ever have a big west end run, the UK audiences seem far more intrested in watching fluff like Priscilla or Sister Act that watching a show that makes them think (which is a shame) but i do however think something like the National etc could produce this for a limited season.

I for one (even if i was a fan of the show or not) would much rather see things like Next To Normal play here rather than Sister Act, Priscilla, Legally Blonde etc because its original, its thought proviking and creates a genuine reaction

Something that is very much missing in West End musical
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #15
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:09pm
re: N2N West End?
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #16
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:13pm
If I don't like the score for N2N I'm going to throw Grandma Elliot's cornish pasty at the actors.
legallysam Profile Photolegallysam Profile Photo
legallysam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #17
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:18pm
"I LOVED Spring Awakening, and it did a VERY successful limited run, sold out at most performances, it was however, the full time transfer where they got HUGE problems!"

as much as a lot of us loved SA...love isnt enough to keep a show running. Producers know this, and no matter how much a show is in demand they won't put on a production if they don't think it will make them money...it's just stupid!

and whilst SA had a serious lack of marketting, they couldn't even fill the theatre with tickets going for a tenner. I'm with Mama here and think that N2N would go the same way, it would do a run at a small off-West End house, everyone would cry out for a transfer and it wouldn't find an audience...how the hell do you market a small american musical about a crazy woman who in every video/picture looks like she wants to shag her son!?
"Rock Of Ages is about as original as gay men at a clap clinic" - SANDM2
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #18
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:23pm
No, this is SADM2
re: N2N West End?
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #19
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:38pm
This was direct from Alice Ripley's mouth back in April, when I asked her at stage door about the possibilities of a West End run: "we are currently looking at bringing the show to London for a short run late next year, or the year after depending how long we run here (in New York)"
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #20
Posted: 7/23/09 at 5:52pm
These lot cant be told....after all according to ceratin people on here (who shall remain nameless) there was no chance that Legally Blonde would play the UK

As ive said, i think N2N will play the UK, but not in the West End, and people cry out for west end trasfers of many shows that play here (Caroline or Change, August etc) it does not men they have to do them

You cant judge of SA which did its limited run then opened in London 7 seconds later with no time to build up hype or ticket sales, thats the producers fault.
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #21
Posted: 7/23/09 at 6:00pm
Legallysam, that was exactly my point, I think a limited run could sell VERY well at a small venue, but not in a permanent transfer!
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #22
Posted: 7/23/09 at 6:38pm
Mama, I'm afraid I have to disagree that N2N is a "very very American tale". Yes, it's set in the US - but its themes about people struggling with mental illness are very much universal. I don't know if it will come over or whether the show would be a success here. But whether it does or not will have nothing to do with the Americanness of it. It will be a matter of whether a British producer has the guts to put on a musical that dares to be as brave as this in dealing with such a heartbreaking aspect of the human condition.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
Updated On: 7/23/09 at 06:38 PM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #23
Posted: 7/23/09 at 6:45pm
Bob i love u
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: N2N West End? #24
Posted: 7/23/09 at 6:59pm
Aww, thanks SADM. It's just that I am very biased about N2N. To me, this is the kind of show that defines what musical theatre ought to be about - a serious piece of drama that touches the emotions and challenges the mind as well via an amazingly beautiful score so that it has artistic integrity while also being hugely entertaining. I am also perhaps naive enough to believe that a serious show can attract an audience and a show does not have to be mindless to be popular.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***