charlieoflondon
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Korea I've heard....apparently they've been auditioning boys for the show there
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, after the Sydney season B.E. played a near sellout 26 week season in Melbourne (closed June 14). Plans are underway for the Australian company to play Korea and then return to tour the rest of Australia. The Australian producers have bought the set design that is being used for the U.S. National Tour.
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I heard that somewhere or other in Asia they were having trouble casting it because hardly any boys do ballet there. If it was an Asian cast, would they change the story's setting? I'm no racist, but surely a show based on the miners' strike would require a predominantly white cast?
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I sure hope the Australian show tour Asia and then reach Hong Kong! It's SUCH an amazing show! And we're been getting nothing but crappy shows like Phantom & Cats... if I'm goin to be overcharged, I want it to be at least a good show!
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lovepigeon: Fiddler did fine in Japan. And Les Miz has played in several countries which may not have recent memories of student uprisings. re: West End, Sydney, Broadway..........
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Does anyone know how much life the show has left in the West End? Couple of years maybe???

When it eventually tours the UK i'd love it to start off in Sunderland, seeing as though it is closest to where it is set that has a theatre. Could easily sell out for 2-3 month here.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Think this could easily play London for a good 5-10 year more, still has a lot of life in the old dog yet.

I have heard the rumour of Korea, which is a surprise as Korea is not a big theatre scene, anyway all those pirouettes could easily set off nuclear bombs in North Korea! Thought the producers would consider Japan, as Billy could sit down there for years.

I have heard a whisper about Billy going to San Fransisco, this maybe just rumour, I have not heard of a US Tour being planned, but this would make sense, as would a sit down in Los Angeles, Chicago or Las Vegas, otherwise a sit down in Germany or a European tour would be prudent.
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End, Sydney, Broadway..........#8
Posted: 7/4/09 at 11:37am
Billy Elliot would NOT do Vegas. That I can assure you of. Chicago, or San Francisco sure. But, Vegas? Not in this lifetime.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End, Sydney, Broadway..........#9
Posted: 7/4/09 at 11:57am
south korea has a theatre should i say 'scene' i mean i member phantom opening in seoul and i mean would i be right in saying seoul does theatre and musicals yes ?
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End, Sydney, Broadway..........#10
Posted: 7/4/09 at 12:04pm
Billy will be giving London electicity for at least anther 5 years.
It has, after all, just wowed half the world with the Tony Awards and its status in the Wet End hasnt slipped since day one.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End, Sydney, Broadway..........#11
Posted: 7/4/09 at 12:39pm
I agree with you Winston, I cannot see Billy Elliot playing Las Vegas, as isn't a tourist show, I guess most people who go and see a show on the strip are tourist and not locals, which is the case in London, Sydney and New York, a high demographic are local residents.
boyfromoz2 Profile Photoboyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End, Sydney, Broadway..........#12
Posted: 7/4/09 at 1:31pm
In a recent interview on Playbill (can't find link sorry) Stephen Daldry mentioned that the next stops for Billy are Seoul and San Francisco, one as a stop of the Australasian tour and the other as an open ended run.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End, Sydney, Broadway..........#13
Posted: 7/4/09 at 3:25pm
20 seconds on Google:

We're in a constant state of auditioning now to find more children for Broadway. At some point early next year we expect to open the show in San Francisco.
http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/125446-PLAYBILL.COM%27S_BRIEF_ENCOUNTER_With_Stephen_Daldry
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: West End, Sydney, Broadway..........#14
Posted: 7/4/09 at 6:40pm
Thanks for that Lizzie, that was great, I visit Playbill every day, but have not seen this article before, the whole article was great reading, as it happens I plan to go to San Fran next year and didn't want to see Wicked.
noplain
Understudy
Understudy
re: West End, Sydney, Broadway..........#15
Posted: 7/5/09 at 4:02am
I have heard the rumour of Korea, which is a surprise as Korea is not a big theatre scene

Musical Theatre is actually huge in South Korea, they truly have a large "off-Broadway" type circuit, Hedwig and The Angry Itch has been playing there for two years just for one example. Lots of large musicals have great runs in Seoul (I think the latest to open is Spring Awakening), and the large city of Daugu has an international musical festival which runs for three weeks (this years just ended yesterday I believe) which has a partnership with the New York Musical Festival. If it's not there yet, Korea is going to become a huge centre for musicals much like Broadway and The West End.

I believe they are currently in the casting stages for the Korean production, that's definitely where the Melbourne sets went.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End, Sydney, Broadway.........#16
Posted: 7/5/09 at 3:28pm
Phantom of London, you are in correct about a couple of things. First off, during the months that aren't high tourist season in New York Broadway tickets go down. Most shows particularly musicals are tourist driven in terms of ticket sales. I would say that most plays are viewed by locals as well as most Off Broadway shows. This is because most locals don't wish to see plays and would rather go for the lavish Broadway musicals and as far as Off Broadway is concerned, they feel that because a show has lower production values that it therefor must be bad. While and Off Broadway show does have lower production values then that of its Broadway counterpart, we both know that that is not the case.

I think that Billy wouldn't work in Vegas because it takes a particular kind of show to work there and Billy Elliot is just not that kind of show. If you take a look at the shows that have played the strip there are qualities in them that made them work in Vegas despite the fact that some Broadway shows have had a better run in Vegas then others.

Chicago for example played Vegas and they didn't have to even shorten the run time. Just looking at the plot of Chicago makes it a great show to play the strip. While you have shows like Avenue Q and Spamalot which are very male focused musicals and could for the most part be enjoyed while someone is roaring drunk.

You then have the shows that are big and flashy and are able to take that flash to the next level in Vegas. A perfect example of this is Phantom. It was able to go the next level with the special effects and update them.

And, then of course you have the Jukebox musicals, the shows that the Vegas tourists can see while not quite with it and just use it as a way to sit back and enjoy the music of an old music group.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End, Sydney, Broadway.........#17
Posted: 7/5/09 at 4:43pm
Avenue Q, Spamalot and The Producers seemed to belly-flop on the strip, will Lion King be the same?

I also think Wicked wouldn't cut the mustard there?
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End, Sydney, Broadway.........#18
Posted: 7/5/09 at 5:00pm
I said in my earlier post that the fact that some shows did better then others doesn't matter. That it takes a particular kind of show to work well on the strip regardless of how successful or not it has been while playing in Vegas.

I don't think Wicked would do well there because the producers know that the major fanbase of the show are teenage who are too young to be out on the strip.

The Producers didn't have much going for it and relied on bad stunt casting from the get go which backfired in Brook's face.

Lion King is selling pretty well. At lest well enough to warrant the closing of Mamma Mia which is for the most part all that The Mandalay Bay Resort cares about.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End, Sydney, Broadway.........#19
Posted: 7/5/09 at 6:53pm
I didn't know Mama Mia was closing on the strip, when is it closing?
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End, Sydney, Broadway.........#20
Posted: 7/5/09 at 7:01pm
Mamma Mia closed a while ago. Taking its place at The Mandalay Bay Theatre is The Lion King.
AndAllThatJazz22
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End, Sydney, Broadway.........#21
Posted: 7/5/09 at 7:09pm
BIlly Eliot is rumored to be planning a National Tour with a San Francisco sit-down (or Chicago sit down).
"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.
Beergoggles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End, Sydney, Broadway.........#22
Posted: 7/6/09 at 4:47am
When's it gonna tour the UK though? I'm getting slightly impatient tbh :p x
Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!