SHREK -The Musical. Theatre Royal, Drury Lane 2011

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The only thing annoying when I saw the show in New York was the show itself lol

As for annoying kids in the audience, I know what you mean. As W.C. Fields once said, "I like kids - but I couldn't eat a whole one."
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA*** ELEGIES FOR ANGELS PUNKS AND RAGING QUEENS**** AMOUR*****
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sometimes I buy in advance. I already have my Fela tickets for November, and got them the day they were released.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I often book months before a show opens! If I lived in London, I would probably do more last minute booking. But as I have to plan my trips to London meticulously well in advance I don't have the luxury of waiting around if there is a show I really want to see.
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA*** ELEGIES FOR ANGELS PUNKS AND RAGING QUEENS**** AMOUR*****
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If we're all throwing away our copies of The Guardian I will do too, and say I thought Caroline or Change was bloody hard work.

And I never thought I'd see a singing washing machine on stage at the National.
Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
sounds like the performance i was at! a mother with her 2 kids! annoyed me so much!
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I often buy tickets in advance so I can plan ahead especially limited runs like Derren Brown or a play, other times, I just day ticket or get invited to things

Shrek, I do plan to gt the tickets when are released in October as it opens when it's my Mum's birthday so it will be a nice advanced birthday present.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The night I saw 'Shrek ' on Broadway i was given a comp, oh great I thought, then I found out i was sat right in the middle of the cast of '13'!!!!
They were amongst the rudest, noisiest, most unpolite a group you could ever wish to sit with! They had no interest in the show just letting those in the area know they were from '13'!
I complained in the interval and was moved to front row circle by the house manager who said that he had had 10 or more complaints about that group alone and that a visit from them again later in the week may be cancelled due to their antics.
I had great satisfaction a few days later to hear that '13' would close!
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Parents seem to have no problem taking their sprogs to the theatre at 8pm on a school night so let theatres restrict Monday, and maybe Tuesday, to the nights that family's may attend the theatre!
Ok and the saturday matinee.
The number of cinemas in the UK adopting the 'over 18 only' screening policy for any certificate movie is growing weekly.
Updated On: 7/5/10 at 10:44 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 7/5/10 at 10:44 AM
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The original production of Ragtime could have made good use of Drury Lane, a shame it never made it.

And I think I must be the only one here who loved Caroline or Change - the CD did nothing for me but I found it absolutely riveting on stage. Not sure about Shrek – I find the current crop of musicals in the West End completely uninspiring and I'm not sure that this is going to change my opinion. Never mind what Broadway import could fill the Lane – the question should be where is the next (any?) British musical that could?

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Updated On: 7/30/10 at 08:27 AM
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Friday 30th July 2010.
Cast update:

'Shrek -The Musical'.
Opens at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane at the end of May 2011.
Preview datres from the last week of April 2011.

Public booking opens 1 October 2010.

Amanda Holden will play Princess Fiona, and Richard Blackwood will play Donkey.

Further casting to be announced.

Amanda Holden played the title role in 'Thoroughly Modern Millie' at the Shaftesbury Theatre in 2003. Among her varied television roles are Mel in the BBC’s 'Kiss Me Kate', Mia Bevan in the BBC’s 'Cutting It' and Sarah Trevanion in ITV1’s 'Wild at Heart'. Amanda is a judge on ITV1’s 'Britain's Got Talent', and the UK correspondent for CBS America’s 'The Early Show'.

Richard Blackwood is a regular on the comedy circuit. He recently performed in 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' at the Novello Theatre. In 2007 Richard became the host of ‘RB’s Sunday School’ on Choice FM. He has a range of TV credits including Anton in ITV’s 'Britannia High', BBC1’s 'Dani’s House' and his own show on Channel 4, 'The Richard Blackwood Show'.

'Shrek -The Musical' played on Broadway from December 2008 to January 2010. The original creative team has now re-assembled to stage the production with new songs and additional scenes currently being worked into the shows first national U:S tour in Chicago.

Book & Lyrics by David Lindsay-Abaire, music by Jeanine Tesori.
Based on the story and characters from William Steig’s book Shrek! and the feature film 'Shrek'.

Directed by Jason Moore and Rob Ashford.
Designs & costumes by Tim Hatley.
Lighting by Hugh Vanstone
Choreography by Josh Prince.
Produced by DreamWorks Theatricals and Neal Street Productions.

'Shrek- The Musical' tells the story, of the swamp-dwelling ogre who, in a faraway kingdom, embarks on a life-changing adventure in order to reclaim the deed to his land. Joined by a wise-cracking donkey who won’t shut up, this unlikely hero - not a handsome prince - fights a fearsome dragon, rescues the feisty Princess Fiona and learns that real friendship and true love aren’t only found in fairy tales.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No mention of Nigel Harman in the press release today?
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I cant believe Richard Blackwood is getting another stab at West End stardom. He must have a good agent
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Was he that bad?
In what? I don't know the name at all.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Was he that bad?
In what? I don't know the name at all.
Paulyd Profile PhotoPaulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
He was in the rest revival of Cat on a Hit Tin Roof. He had a non speaking role as a servant and even that annoyed the hell out of me.

At the curtain he was at the back and then came forward and barged his way in between James Earl Jones and Adrian Lester and did a little ad hoc comedy routine and then asked us all to give money to a particular charity. That was fine, but the comedy routine didnt go down to well. You should have seen the look on Adrian's face.

He's just a has been comedian from the early 90's who was never that funny in the first place. I'm just surprised he's been cast. I'm sure they could have found a bigger name than his for the role of Donkey
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But he is only playing 'Donkey', a bloody annoying role.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cast update for 'Shrek -The Musical'.

Theatre Royal, Drury Lane - May 2011.

Public booking opens 1st Oct 2010.

Nigel Lindsay is cast as Shrek.
Nigel Harman as Lord Farquaad.
They join previously mention Amanda Holden as Princess Fiona, and Richard Blackwood as Donkey. Further casting to be announced.

Producers Bill Damaschke and Caro Newling said: “We were already thrilled that our dream of bringing Shrek The Musical to London was coming true, but to do so with a cast led by these charming, funny and incredibly talented actors has exceeded our expectations. Nigel, Amanda, Nigel and Richard all blew us away with their audition performances and we knew that we had found our new London Shrek family! Our search continues for the further 28 cast members who will bring the original Shrek story to life on the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane stage.”

Nigel Lindsay London stage credits include "Sucker Punch" at the Royal Court; "Under the Blue Sky" at the Duke of York's, "The Pillowman" at the National Theatre, "The Homecoming" and "Awake and Sing" at the Almeida, "Guys and Dolls" at the Piccadilly, "The Woman Before", "Push Up" and "King Lear" at the Royal Court, "The Real Thing" at the Donmar and West End. His latest screen credits include "Four Lions" and "Cosi".

Nigel Harman is perhaps best known as Dennis Rickman from TV’s EastEnders. London stage credits include "Public Property" at the Trafalgar Studios 2; "Three Days of Rain" at the Apollo Theatre; "The Caretaker" at the Tricycle, "Privates on Parade" at the Donmar and "Guys and Dolls" at the Piccadilly Theatre

Shrek The Musical played on Broadway from December 2008 to January 2010. The original creative team has now re-assembled to stage the production with new songs and additional scenes.

Book & Lyrics by David Lindsay-Abaire
Music by Jeanine Tesori.

Directed by Jason Moore and Rob Ashford.
Designs & costumes by Tim Hatley.
Choreography by Josh Prince.
Produced by DreamWorks Theatricals and Neal Street Productions.
Weez Profile PhotoWeez Profile Photo
Weez
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Apropos of very little, I loved Caroline, or Change, both on stage and on CD. And also as the hold music for the NT box office for a while. SHREK -The Musical. Theatre Royal, Drury Lane 2011
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Apart from Holden, none of this cast will sell any tickets. This is going to be a TKTS from the get go.
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Special preview prices - £15-£45.

Regular prices after opening £20-£65

Priority Booking tomorrow here - http://www2.seetickets.com/thetimes/?
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This show is going to get mashed by Wizard, isn't it?
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have noticed this about many shows, they put tickets up for sale from 6 months before the show opens, do people really go out and purchase their tickets this early? Normally I buy tickets on the day, very rare I will purchase tickets early, the only shows I have done this for are Passion, Aspects of Love and Paradise Found. The reason I don't is because my work roster can change at the last minute, also a good deal can be done on the day.

Yes I would buy a Shrek ticket for £45, but not in advance.
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just looked at the booking site - premium seats are on sale for £95! Are they mad?