Printer Friendly - DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart

DROOD Audience Voting Result Chart
Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-10-18 22:59:31

As DROOD kicks off its revival run, I thought it would be fun to have a thread dedicated exclusively to charting the 'voting' results at each performance.

Let's follow this format. These were the results tonight...

Thursday, October 18: 7:30 PM FINAL DRESS

DATCHERY: Bazzard
MURDERER: Rosa Bud
LOVERS: Helena and Neville Landless (!)

Posted by Wynbish 2012-10-18 23:03:06

While I love Rosa Bud's confession, the choice for the lovers? Well...

Posted by givesmevoice 2012-10-18 23:05:46

The audience at the regional production of Drood I went to also chose Helena and Neville as the lovers, and I seem to recall we got called out on it by cast members. oops.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-10-18 23:12:14

They actually get voted the lovers a lot; I think the audience often can't resist the ridiculousness of it. I've directed DROOD a couple of times and while anything truly can happen (especially if the actors 'in character' start really campaigning to sections of the audience) I would say the most frequent choices in my experience are : Rosa, Puffer, or Chrisparkle for the murderer with Bazzard selected as DATCHERY about 85 percent of the time (Helena seems to be the most often second choice). The lovers really are in some ways the most fun because that is always unpredictable and a fun surprise.

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-10-18 23:14:22

I believe the scripted scene between Helena and Neville reads something like: "Neville, I don't suppose you could love me like a brother?" "Helena, I am your brother. Oh well, the audience demands it. You sick English bastards!" I believe everything except this last sentance is a paraphrase.

For future reference...How did you get in to the final dress rehearsal?

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-10-18 23:23:02

Not to threadjack, but was the production good, Michael Bennett?!

Posted by bwayfan7000 2012-10-18 23:31:01

The endings at the final dress were one of the best possible combinations. Helped by the fact that Peter Benson's Bazzard is so endearing, Betsy Wolfe belted her entire confession (which sounded incredible), and Andy Karl and Jessie Mueller broke in the middle of their song because it was all so funny. I hope the last sequence always goes as well as it did tonight.

Posted by givesmevoice 2012-10-18 23:35:24

I really want to vote for Rosa Budd and Jasper as the lovers when I go, to see how that plays out.

Posted by bwayfan7000 2012-10-18 23:38:47

It's actually not a very funny ending, though these two would sing the hell out of it. The Neville/Helena is the funniest. And any combo with Puffer.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-10-18 23:45:52

I think the funniest combination I ever witnessed was Deputy (played by a young teenager) and Helena Landless; but the 'funny' in the lovers endings is really more about the actors doing it than anything on the scripted page...

The original production posted a chart in the lobby with the breakdown of the voting results for murderer after each performance. Hopefully they will do that for the revival too.

Posted by LimelightMike 2012-10-19 00:31:06

This is a fantastic thread!

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-19 01:25:43

For the revival, they should post the results on the website for each performance, maybe with a video message from each resulting character. That would be neat.

Posted by EponineAmneris 2012-10-19 08:46:44

Leave it to Michael Bennett to start a great thread and add some intelligent discussion to the board

This is one of my all time favorite musicals and I am thrilled for this revival!

I will be curious to read it and add to it in mid December

Posted by aasjb4ever 2012-10-19 10:06:02

How was the voting handled? Did you receive a pen and paper with your playbil and then submitted it at intermission?

I'm so curious if it's traditional like that or somehow digital in this current technological era.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-10-19 10:35:23

No no- the voting in this production is done as it always is, with members of the ensemble coming out and polling sections of the audience at a specific moment of the show. There are no ballots; it's all done with a show of hands.

Last night it appeared that the cast hadn't been given much tutoring on the process yet; it was a little muddy and unclear what was going on, but obviously this is something that will improve when there is an audience to play too. The ensemble members just need to remember they have to speak loudly and remind the audience they can only vote once!

Other than that Im not going to comment on the production, as its poor form to do so of a final dress, though I'm sure the production team won't mind me praising the entire company who are already quite wonderful and especially good vocally.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-10-19 11:03:57

I really wish I could see this! Hope it extends into the summer!!

Posted by GlindatheGood22 2012-10-19 12:22:25

How are they conducting the voting?

Posted by cardamon 2012-10-19 23:49:01

To get this thread back on track...

Friday, October 19: 8:00 PM

LOVERS: Princess Puffer and Deputy

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-10-20 00:54:30

Isn't the Deputy a little kid? A teenager at the most? Chita made out with a teenager??? Does that make her a cougar?

Posted by bwayfan7000 2012-10-20 01:07:46

Puffer-Deputy is a very funny one. With how good Betsy is in this, I think she may end up the murderer most out of any of them.

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-10-20 16:53:27

Wow, wonder what results today's Double Header will produce. For some reason, I haven't decided who I want to vote for yet.

Posted by perfectlymarvelous 2012-10-20 17:52:08

My friend was at the matinee this afternoon and he told me Puffer was the murderer, Helena was the datchery, and Rosa and the gravedigger were the lovers.

Posted by aasjb4ever 2012-10-20 18:20:03

^
Saturday, October 20: 2:00 PM

DATCHERY: Helena
MURDERER: Puffer
LOVERS: Rosa Bud and the Gravedigger

Posted by singtopher 2012-10-20 18:48:48

Gravedigger = durdles

Posted by notzach2 2012-10-20 22:58:57

10/20 evening show
Murder: Neville Landless
Datchery: Helena Landless
Lovers: Princess Puffer and Bazzard

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-10-21 01:19:31

So by my count:

Murders
Rosa Bud: 2
Neville Landless: 1
Helena Landless: 1

Datchery:
Bazzard: 2
Helena Landless: 1

Lovers:
Helena and Neville: 1
Puffer and Bazzard: 1
Puffer and Durdles: 1
Puffer and Deputy: 1

Posted by somethingwicked 2012-10-21 01:36:00

Chairin, Helena has yet to be voted the murderer. Your count is also off on Datchery, because was voted that twice for both shows today.

Posted by PlayItAgain 2012-10-21 03:52:57

According to one of the actors at the stage door they have a huge board backstage that they are keeping track of.

Also stephanie J Block told us that Will's character will never be the murder due to his confession song being pre built into the show

Posted by LimelightMike 2012-10-21 04:25:18

Actually? Jasper *can*, in fact, be voted the murderer ...

*** SPOILER ALERT: Post "Jasper's Confession", the Chairman steps in and says, "And, there is your murderer for tonight..." - And, they go straight into the lovers' voting. ***

So, you see, he can, in fact, be voted upon -- of course, that's just too logical to work in the confines of The Music Hall Royale!

Posted by somethingwicked 2012-10-21 09:14:46

According to Rupert Holmes' notes in the published script, over the course of the entire run of the original production, Jasper was never once voted the murderer.

Posted by Quiche2 2012-10-21 09:37:42

Does anyone think that this will be running into September next year?? That's the next chance I have to go to NYC and I wanna see this SOOOOOOOO badly.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-10-21 09:41:29

I think in the Tams script, Holmes advises you can also simply go with the runner up if Jasper is voted murderer, since the audience who voted him isnt 'cheated' - they get his confession regardless.

The only time Jasper was picked during any of the productions I was involved in was during one particularly sad matinee on Super Bowl Sunday populated with about 12 old ladies who had no idea what was going on. I think we let them have their murderer and were happy the performance ended five minutes sooner.

Posted by taboo123 2012-10-21 10:24:35

Puffer will no doubt always be a favorite to be voted the Murderer or the Lover.

I mean, come on, it's Chita Rivera.
And people who paid money to see the show- will want their money's worth.
so, the more Chita- the more they audience feels vindicated on their ticket money.

Posted by #1Elphie 2012-10-21 10:25:32

I think this is the actual tally so far:

Datchery:
Buzzard: 2
Helena: 2

Murderer:
Princess Puffer: 1

Lovers:
Rosa Bud and Durdles: 1

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-10-21 12:15:46

And they have the votes tallied on a huge board as you walk out of Studio 54. It's above the doorway. It's just that evening's voting, but fun nonetheless.

Posted by perfectlymarvelous 2012-10-21 16:45:24

Sunday, October 21 2 PM
DATCHERY - Bazzard
MURDERER - Princess Puffer
LOVERS - Helena and Durdles

Posted by devonian.t 2012-10-21 16:48:26

In London, Lulu, who was starring as Puffer, famously was never chosen as murderer during the original production's brief run. We're a perverse lot over here!

Posted by MusicalBoy 2012-10-21 16:50:02

^ or perhaps Lulu wasn't particularly good? :)

Posted by devonian.t 2012-10-21 19:12:43

Since music hall originated in Britain I think the cast had actual experience of the genre and a pretty good grasp of the material. There was nothing wrong with Lulu's performance. Did you see it?

Brit audiences tend not to go for the obvious culprits though.

Posted by best12bars 2012-10-21 19:27:40

Funny, I don't even remember voting for "lovers" when I saw the original production in previews. I remember voting for Datchery and the Murderer, but that's it.

EDIT: Anybody else see the show that early on? Maybe it wasn't memorable enough or maybe my memory isn't serving me well. I know so many things have changed from the original production I can't even imagine ending Act I with "Off To the Races" --- a trivial mood-ligthener --- instead of "The Name of Love/Moonfall." So maybe this was another change during the run.

Posted by HOUFlip04 2012-10-21 19:51:55

Wow! My vision is going.....nevermind!

Posted by #1Elphie 2012-10-21 22:04:25

My tally was correct up to that point. You have an extra Puffer under "Murderer." Here it is now:

Datchery:
Buzzard: 3
Helena: 2

Murderer:
Princess Puffer: 2

Lovers:
Rosa Bud and Durdles: 1
Helena and Durdles: 1

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-10-21 23:56:08

From a friend who wasn't completely sure what was going on:

Sunday October 21:7:30pm

Murderer: Durdles (this is rare)
Lovers: Bazzard and Puffer

Yes, best12, the lovers bit has been in the show since the workshops, although initially it apparently happened after Writing on the Wall and Edwin DROOD and Sapsea were included in the line up.

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-10-22 00:16:52

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that Durdles is a murder suspect in this revised version of the show. According to the talley board in the lobbey he won by a mere six votes over Crisparkle.

Posted by Ebonic_Singer 2012-10-22 00:43:11

Saturday Matinee--October 20th

Murderer--Puffer
Datchery--Helena Landless
Lovers--Rosa Bud and Durdles

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-10-22 01:31:03

Puffer, it should be noted, was indeed voted murderer this afternoon, beating Helena by ONE vote.

Posted by perfectlymarvelous 2012-10-22 01:51:15

Crisparkle was also pretty close behind I believe, and Neville was also very close...I think they were something like 5 and 7 votes less than Puffer?

Posted by Movidude742 2012-10-22 16:20:41

Is anyone noting the order that they present characters for voting? I ask because in Peter Filichia's book listing the biggest hits and flops of each season he discusses the original Drood and the fact that they could effect the voting by changing the order. I don't have it handy so I won't swear to it, but I think the first name almost never gets called due to the audience not being ready or realizing what they need to be doing, so after a while the previous show's winner would get moved to the front and so on and so forth.

I almost want to know if the same patterns hold true, and if they are using the tricks of the original production to the most variety to the cast (and repeat viewers)

Posted by best12bars 2012-10-23 12:52:44

Yes, best12, the lovers bit has been in the show since the workshops, although initially it apparently happened after Writing on the Wall and Edwin DROOD and Sapsea were included in the line up.

You mean the lovers bit was after Writing on the Wall in the workshops? When I saw it on Broadway in previews. Writing on the Wall was the very end of the show. It was "curtain down" after that, and bows.

Posted by Bialyhoos22 2012-10-23 14:02:15

best12 - you are correct, at the Delacorte and Imperial, the selection of the lovers came before The Writing on the Wall; however, during the initial workshops, the lovers selection happened after Writing on the Wall.

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-10-23 18:59:01

The voting order on Sunday night, If I recall correctly was:
#1: Bazzard
#2: Rosa
#3: Puffer
#4: Durdles (winner)
#5: Jaspar
#6: Neville
#7: Crisparkle

Posted by bjh2114 2012-10-23 20:24:35

Saturday night's order was:

#1: Rosa
#2: Bazzard
#3: Puffer
#4: Durdles
#5: Crisparkle
#6: Jaspar
#7: Neville (winner)

Posted by Broadway Bob* 2012-10-24 09:45:18

Any word yet on last night?

And a slight thread jack...
Any word on the two rows they added in front of the orchestra section? (AX and BX I believe). Are they crammed? Do they make row A (shoulda been the front row) cramped?!?

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-24 11:41:12

Tuesday 10/23/12

Murderer--Helena Landless
Datchery--Bazzard
Lovers--Puffer & Crisparkle

Posted by sassylash3s 2012-10-24 11:54:48

To those who have seen Helena or Neville as the murderer, which version of their confessions does this production use: the original ones based on "No Good Can Come From Bad" or the later ones based on "A British Subject"?

Posted by Bialyhoos22 2012-10-24 12:02:38

Unfortunately, they use the revised murderer confessions that use "A British Subject" as its basis. Although I feel they've finally made Ceylon/British Subject work (to the best of its ability) I've always preferred the use of "No Good Can Come from Bad" in the murderer's confession.

I actually have very few quibbles about this production (it's pretty GD stellar all around!) but I do really wish they'd include that terrific trumpet-heralding vamp at the top of There You Are. As it is right now, there's the orchestra cue (trumpet sting), one bar of the vamp (no trumpet fanfare) and Jim Norton goes right into it. The build of the Chairman's reveal in the original (you can see it on the Tony's truncated version of the number) was thrilling in the theatre. The rest of There You Are in this production is really wonderful but I think they could afford to build that opening so there's real fanfare for Cartwright. Come on Paul, don't tell me there won't be trumpets in the intro! :)

Posted by Benzy92 2012-10-24 16:44:19

Wed. 10/24 2:00

Datchery- Helena
Murderer- Crisparkle
Lovers- Puffer and Deputy

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-10-24 17:22:23

I can't wait to see this show! My excitement for this show has actually got me posting on this board again. For those who have seen the show, how does the combination of "Ceylon" and "British Subject" work? Does the song start off as Ceylon to a certain point, and finish off as British Subject? Very curious to see how they have re-written this. I have always preferred "A British Subject" to "Ceylon" myself.

Also, for the confessions of Helena, Crisparkle, and Neville, are the three still reprising "A British Subject" within them?

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-10-24 17:32:14

The first part of the revised song begins with Ceylon, then after Drood's verse ("It's all very well for you, etc.") Drood and Neville have a brief dialogue over music, which segues into "A British Subject"

How many of the murderer's confessions got revised/are different from the OBC? I saw Durdles as the Murderer, who was of course not even a member of the original line up of murderers? God, I would love to see a revised script of this show. If anyone's got it, PM me.

I too, REALLY missed the intro to "There you are", especially because at the performance I saw Norton got behind the beat for pretty much his whole first verse. A minor kerfuffle but It was not a particularly auspicious start.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-10-24 17:40:05

Well, per the revised script licensed for amateur and regional productions, it is based on the changes made for the Original London production.

Crisparkle, Helena, and Neville's confessions had been changed to include a reprise of "A British Subject", which in my opinion, is a welcome change, because it can be quite monotonous to have most of the suspects singing the same reprise of "No Good Can Come From Bad".

Durdles was given a confession during the rewrites.

Rosa, Bazzard, and Puffer's confessions are pretty much what you have heard on the OBC recording with all the multiple endings.

"The Name of Love/Moonfall" has been moved to Act II, where as in the OBC, it was the Act I finale. (I prefer the latter.)

"A British Subject" replaced "Ceylon".

That's all of the changes that I can think of, off the top of my head.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
The Balladeer

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-10-24 17:54:58

Went onto Youtube and found a couple of amatuer renditions of the various confessions, and I think I like the revisals. In each case, the character is now singing his own music instead of "A Man could go quite Mad" and also singing about Murderering Drood instead of attempting to Murder Jaspar, which is also a change for the better. God, I wish I could go back and see this again.

Thanks for the info!

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-10-24 23:22:42

Rosa was the murderer again tonight, according to Twitter.

I understand wanting Betsy Wolfe to sing more, but I don't understand Betsy Wolfe being declared "genius".

Posted by theatreguy 2012-10-25 00:14:41

Wed 10/24, 8pm

Datchery: Helena
Murderer: Rosa
Lovers: Puffer & Crisparkle (They actually couldn't decide if Crisparkle, Bazzard or Durdles got more applause - it was pretty much equal - so Norton asked a woman in the front row who she thought it should be)

Rosa got about 180 votes for murderer. Crisparkle and Bazzard were tied for second with 147, followed by Puffer with 100ish.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-10-25 23:19:53

Thursday 10/25, 8:00PM

MURDERER: Helena
LOVERS: Puffer and Durdles

Posted by HeyMrMusic 2012-10-25 23:54:50

I was there tonight. Helena won with 188 votes, just over Rosa with 182. Puffer and Neville were next in line.

Order of murderer candidates:
1: Jasper
2: Crisparkle
3: Helena
4: Rosa
5: Neville
6: Puffer
7: Durdles

They did a re-vote for the lovers after a "three-way" with Deputy, Neville, and Durdles. Andy Karl proceeded to strip items of clothing and seduce the audience.

Posted by uncageg 2012-10-26 01:37:22

I was there tonight also. Really wanted the kid to win the 3 way tie for the lover.

Posted by HeyMrMusic 2012-10-26 01:47:54

Me too! But anyone with Puffer is a win-win-win situation in my book. Just so absurd!

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-10-26 10:34:46

Shit...there was a bunch of us there last night. And I think I saw our own Michael Bennett, but I got a little shy and didn't say 'hello'.

I voted for Rosa as the murderess and the ginge to pair up with Chita.

Posted by broadwayworldreader 2012-10-26 16:17:51

I was there as well last night. Jessie Mueller...God love her. That confession was awesome.

Posted by HeyMrMusic 2012-10-26 19:08:05

Yeah, she killed it. Ba-dum bum.

Posted by uncageg 2012-10-26 23:05:49

She did kill it! So were we all in the mezz? Was anyone at Guy Fieri's before the show?

Posted by uncageg 2012-10-26 23:06:09

She did kill it! So were we all in the mezz? Was anyone at Guy Fieri's before the show?

Posted by PurpleFanta 2012-10-26 23:28:28

I was there last night too! I was so happy when Jessie Mueller was voted the killer!

Posted by Broadway Local 2012-10-27 00:19:20

Friday, October 26: 8 PM

DATCHERY: Helena Landless
MURDERER: Bazzard
LOVERS: Princess Puffer and the Deputy

Posted by HeyMrMusic 2012-10-27 00:32:15

Yes I was in the mezz. I hope Jessie kills and/or detects all the way to another Tony nom!

Posted by tmbyru 2012-10-27 17:15:28

Saturday, October 27: 2:00 PM

MURDERER: Puffer
LOVERS: Rosa Bud and the Gravedigger

Posted by devonian.t 2012-10-27 18:19:53

why do the lovers have to be male-female?

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-10-27 23:01:28

Girl Power!!!

Murderer: Rosa Bud
Lovers: Puffer and Deputy (hilarious!!!)

What a wonderful evening at the theatre!

This is one of my favorite endings for this show! Betsy Wolfe's confession was brilliant!

Posted by sassylash3s 2012-10-27 23:34:29

" why do the lovers have to be male-female?"

Among other reasons, adding same-sex lovers would be pretty much unworkable, assuming that all characters could be paired together. If my math is correct (which, honestly, is a pretty big assumption...) there are currently 18 lovers' endings (3 female candidates * 6 male candidates), whereas if you take gender out of equation you have 72 possible endings (9 first candidate * 8 second candidate), which is clearly very impractical, especially considering that they all have to be performed at a moment's notice.

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-10-27 23:44:57

See below

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-10-28 20:31:43

Sunday, October 28

According to twitter:

DATCHERY: Crisparkle
MURDERER: Rosa Budd
LOVERS: Neville and Helena Landless (so sorry to keep missing this!)

Posted by Broadway Bob* 2012-10-29 10:58:08

Actually sassylash3s 3 females and 6 males would make a total of 24 possible pairings.

And I want to see this show a thousand times to see ALL of these different pairings. I especially want to see the brother/sister lover pairing and I want to see Puffer as the murderer. And Neville as the murderer. And Helena as the murderer. And Puffer with Jasper as the lovers. And...

Well, you get the idea. Alas I live far away and don't know if I'll get to return before mid-February. Now maybe if we get an extension... (and a cast recording!!!)

Posted by HeyMrMusic 2012-10-29 13:00:58

I'm pretty sure 3 women and 6 men would make 18 endings if we're sticking with male-female pairings. 3 x 6 = 18, right?

Posted by Broadway Bob* 2012-10-29 14:49:49

Well if you're going to bring CORRECT math into it...

Okay, I'm an idiot and had a momentary math related brain fart. You're right - 18 - and I'm headed back to remedial math class! OY!!!

Hahahahahah!

I blame Chita and the rest of the cast for being SO amazing they melted my brain with sheer Theatrical Magic!!!

Posted by HeyMrMusic 2012-10-29 17:33:46

Haha no worries! :)

Posted by Benzy92 2012-10-31 16:39:45

Today's matinee

D: Bazzard
M: Rosa Budd
L: Neville and Helena

Posted by Kad 2012-10-31 18:06:42

The vote for the lovers this afternoon was extremely close, and the tie-breaker fell to someone in the front row... who wisely chose Helena and then Neville. Hilarity ensued.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-10-31 18:11:50

Also at today's matinee there was a tie breaker for Datchery between Bazzard and Neville.

Posted by wdwfreak 2012-10-31 23:55:57

Wednesday October 31st 8pm Show:

Datchery: Bazzard
Murderer: Princess Puffer
Lovers: Helena & Durdles

Posted by Rainbowhigh23 2012-11-01 12:37:56

Rosa Bud and Durdles as the lovers was absolutely hilarious.

Last night when Helena was not chosen as Datchery by the person in the front row she was so funny, she did the sign language for "I got my eyes on you, sucker!" bit.

Posted by doodlenyc 2012-11-01 12:53:15

I so wanted to see Mueller as the murderer last night, but the kid was inaudible when explaining the voting, noone voted for #1, Helena.

Posted by Pammylicious 2012-11-02 10:31:45

11/1/12 Performance

Murderer: Puffer
Lovers: Rosebud and Gravedigger (hilarious, cast was cracking up)

Posted by iluvtheatertrash 2012-11-03 00:30:14

Just returned from tonight's show, 11/3/12 - 8pm.

Murderer: Buzzard
Lovers: Puffin and Nick Cricker

The Lovers were hilarious and cracked up everyone, including the cast.

It was my first time seeing the show, though I've always adored it from afar. This has got to be one of the top three greatest nights I've ever spent in the theatre. Cannot recommend it enough. Divine, divine, divine.

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-11-03 02:49:22

I'm fairly surprised how often Bazzard has been passed over as Datchery. By Rupert Holmes' estimate he was chosen as the Detective about 80% of the time; the revival seems to have Helena and Bazzard splitting the field fairly evenly thusfar. A testament to how good Jessie Mueller is or merely a sign that Peter Benson isnt as lovable as Joe Grifasi? I think the former, as I found Benson extremely lovable.

Posted by g.d.e.l.g.i. 2012-11-03 02:56:07

It occurs to me that the surviving cast of Clue would be great stunt casting replacements. Carry on with the purpose of the thread.

Posted by HeyMrMusic 2012-11-03 10:15:45

Benson is very lovable. For me, I'd rather pick someone who's less obvious. But what do I know, my audience picked him as Datchery.

Posted by azeller 2012-11-03 19:58:45

Matinee today 11/3:

LOVERS: Helena and Neville Landless

Great show!!!!!

Posted by jamiekennywicked 2012-11-03 20:13:03

Here's hoping I dont sound too stupid but, can someone explain to me what/who a dathcery is?

Posted by darquegk 2012-11-03 20:45:14

During the second act, a mysterious detective character, Datchery, shows up in a relatively obvious disguise (played by the same actress as the late Drood). The audience votes as to Datchery's secret identity.

Posted by wickedfan 2012-11-03 23:05:00

11/3 8 pm

Murder: Helena
Lovers: Puffer and Deputy

Jessie Mueller nailed her confession tonight and her number received the biggest applause of the night. I was disappointed by the pairing of Puffer and the Deputy (I wanted to see Andy Karl featured a bit more at the end of the night), but they played well off of each other. It was clear that Bazzard was going to be Datchery as Peter Benson had the audience on his side from his first line during "No Good Can Come From Bad." In all fairness, he was the most hysterical thing about that number.

Overall, a very, VERY enjoyable night of the theater. As said before, the lyrics cannot be understood at times, but practically everything else about the production is first rate. A rarely extravagant production from Roundabout. Well worth it.

Posted by PurpleFanta 2012-11-03 23:21:51

I noticed that Helena was usually voted for something, so I went through and checked, and it seems that Jessie Mueller is very popular. She's been Datchery 11x, the murderer 3x, and one of the lovers 6x. There was only one performance when she wasn't voted anything, and it was the first preview. Pretty impressive.

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-11-04 00:02:23

I think this is an accurate tally of the performances thusfar. I'll try to keep this updated fairly frequently

[Tally includes Final Dress]
Datchery:
Bazzard: 10
Helena: 11
Crisparkle: 1

Murderer:
Rosa: 7
Puffer: 5
Helena: 3
Neville: 1
Durdles: 1

Lovers:
Helena/Neville: 4
Helena/Durdles: 3
Puffer/Deputy: 4
Puffer/Durdles: 1
Puffer/Bazzard: 2
Puffer/Crisparkle: 2
Rosa/Durdles: 3

Posted by Kad 2012-11-04 00:54:48

Those numbers don't add up. There's a total of 22 performances recorded for Datchery choices, 20 for Murderer choices, and 19 for Lover choices.

Posted by notzach2 2012-11-04 01:59:34

DATCHERY:
Bazzard: 10
Helena: 8

MURDERER:
Rosa: 7
Princess Puffer: 5
Neville: 1
Helena: 3

LOVERS:
Helena and Neville: 4
Helena and Durdles: 2
Puffer and Deputy: 6
Puffer and Crisparkle: 2
Puffer and Durdles: 1
Rosa and Durdles: 3

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-11-04 14:07:37

Sorry about the errors!

Posted by Elder Katt 2012-11-04 16:15:03

Have to admit, I saw the show and really wanted to see Crisparkle as the murderer. Gregg Edelman really stood out. Still, I saw this past Weds mat, and Betsy Wolfe's confession was awesome.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-11-04 19:31:11

Per a friend in another roundabout production...

Sunday, November 4, 2PM

Datchery: Bazzard (tie with Helena, decided by audience member)
Murderer: Crisparkle (by one vote over Puffer)

Also-- a correction to the murderer chart above, Durdles was selected as murderer at one Saturday evening show a couple of weeks ago

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-11-05 03:13:54

Yes, it was at the performance I saw; Sunday the 20th, the evening show.

any results from today?

Posted by dexter3 2012-11-07 08:54:15

Last night:

Murderer: Helena
Lovers: Puffer + Deputy.

Chita and the little boy were HILARIOUS as the lovers, and the cast was cracking up all the way through their scene.

Posted by notzach2 2012-11-07 20:06:25

11/7/12 matinee

Lovers: Puffer and Bazzard

The audience was completely dead. Completely. Got moved from row HH of the rear mezz to sixth row center orchestra before the show and the audience was just not energetic at all. The woman next to me continuously fell asleep for most of the first act. Betsy won with 119 votes. Neville and Crisparkle were just behind her each with 90something votes.

Posted by cardamon 2012-11-07 23:22:58

11/7/12 evening

Lovers: Helena and Bazzard

For the lovers, it was a tie between Helena and Rosa Bud, so they asked a woman in the front row to pick the winner.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-11-08 00:32:58

I am very curious to see Rosa Bud as Datchery. Has anyone ever seen this happen in any production? How does it work with the scene before, and including "Garden Path to Hell?" Does she leave the stage at all? Very curious.

Posted by PurpleFanta 2012-11-08 13:06:53

"11/7/12 evening

Lovers: Helena and Bazzard"

I didn't think it was possible to be voted as both Datchery and a Lover. Is that something that recently changed? When I saw it a few weeks ago, Helena was voted Datchery, Rosa was the Murderer, and that left Puffer as the lover by default.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-11-08 13:43:24

There really isn't anything in the DROOD guidebook that says the actor voted for DATCHERY isn't to be included in the run off for lovers. Usually the audience will vote for a character who hasn't already been selected for something, but it's not at all unusual for a really popular character like Helena or Bazzard to be selected multiple times in one evening.

When Rosa is selected as DATCHERY (it does happen) she normally leaves her scene with Puffer early and does a fast change into the DATCHERY garb

Posted by sassylash3s 2012-11-08 13:59:44

"11/7/12 evening

Lovers: Helena and Bazzard"

Assuming this post is accurate, they must have made this change sometime since the second preview. The performance I saw played out the same way (Helena as Datchery, Puffer as murderer) but Rosa Bud was selected lover by default.

Posted by PurpleFanta 2012-11-08 14:14:17

Thanks for clearing that up Michael Bennett! That's really cool. Is it up to The Chairman to decide if the actor who played Datchery is eligible again to be one of the lovers? Or does it just depend on the night?

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-11-08 15:01:46

The Chairman has a lot of pull in how the voting goes down (he after all is the one who calls it) but my guess is that if one of the Datchery winners was excluded from the list of candidates for Lover, Norton was given a note from the creative team, as in subsequent performances, the only person excluded from that selection has been the actor selected for murderer, which is in keeping with the voting rules as set forth by Holmes in the back of the licensed script.

Posted by PurpleFanta 2012-11-08 15:16:25

Thanks Michael Bennett! I wish I would have been at the performance where Helena was Datchery and one of the lovers! Very cool!

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-11-08 22:05:07

Speaking of whether someone who is voted as Datchery can also be up for one of the Lovers, I wonder why this isn't the case with whomever is voted Murderer. In this production, they are not included in the Lovers voting. It's not a staging/costume thing as the murderer remains on stage after their confession. Just because they're the Murderer?

Since Betsy Wolfe seems to be often getting picked as murderer, there's only Helena and Puffer for the female Lovers choice. Although, this is turning into quite a hilarious/cute bit of staging, as the day I was there, it was very close between the two of them, and Jessie was pointing at Chita, like, 'She won, yeah?' but then Chita sort of pushed Jessie forward.

Posted by broadwayboy101 2012-11-08 23:22:31

Results tonight:

Lovers: Puffer and Neville

Posted by Kelly2 2012-11-09 00:02:21

Neville and Puffer were HILARIOUS as the lovers tonight, the cast had a very hard time keeping a straight face during that seduction, that's for sure.

And what a star Jessie Mueller is, she was brilliant.

Posted by djb 2012-11-09 00:53:59

COULD NOT AGREE MORE about tonight. Chita forgot to sing she and Andy were improvising so much. When they kissed, I thought the audience was going to die. And Jessie KILLED her "Murderer's Confession"... she has grown tenfold in the part.

Posted by loliveve 2012-11-10 01:17:54

Tonight:

LOVERS: Princess Puffer and the Reverend

This show-- and cast-- is phenomenal!!!

Posted by Markecib 2012-11-10 17:13:01

11/10 2pm

Datchury: Bazzard
Lovers: Puffer and The Deputy

It was hysterical and really loved it. Jessie Mueller couldn't stop cracking up during the lovers song because the pairing was just that funny. Credit goes to Nicholas Barasch found Chita for making that scene so good.

Posted by nasty_khakis 2012-11-10 23:46:26

11/10 Evening-

Datchury: Helena
Lovers: Puffer and the Deputy.

Agreed with Markecib. Jessie and Andy's reactions during the Lover's song were hilarious. I dont know if he always does this, but Nicholas dipped Chita with her back to the audience until her head almost touched the ground. You could tell the cast is still having fun reacting to all the voting results.

Posted by wickedfan 2012-11-10 23:55:53

Was there tonight, again. Was pleased to see Betsy Wolfe's confession, which she knocked out of the park. Jessie Mueller sounded a little sick, but still made a great impression.

Having seen the same lovers pairing (Puffer and Deputy), I wasn't as taken with it this time around. The dip, nasty_khakis, is part of the staging. The Deputy did a little dance during one of his lines that was cute, but everything else was exactly as it was last Saturday.

Posted by nasty_khakis 2012-11-11 00:11:25

Yeah, I assumed it was staged since it would take a lot of trust to be spontaneous. I've seen the show three times now and am amazed how how the cast makes everything look new, fresh, and spontaneous. I know they're not so far into the run to get bored, but all the laughs and smiles during the voting and lovers song seem entirely genuine.

I agree Betsy Wolfe was brilliant during her confession. She was the right amount of crazy without getting too campy--she had me in stitches. I really want to see Neville and Helena picked as the lovers just to see how they play the awkwardness. Guess I'll have to see it again...and again. :)

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-11-11 03:18:25

I saw the show in it's 5th preview, by which time Helena was both Datchery and a candidate for Lover. Chita won the later vote by a landslide, leading Betsy and Jessie to perform Wayne's World-style genuflects as they backed away.

I've also noticed that the scripts for the lover's segments have been changed so Chita has the same line in all of them: "So, you want me to show you the way of the world? The Lay of the Land, eh?" Or at least this is true of the pairings I've seen: Puffer with Bazzard, Deputy and Crisparkle.

Posted by Markecib 2012-11-11 17:31:11

11/11

Datchary: Bazzard
Murder: Rev. Mr. Crisparkle
Lovers: Puffer and The Deputy

The Murderer was a surprising choice, but I found Gregg Edelman's confession song was just OK the small scene after was funny though. The song was just "eh"

Posted by The Josh 2012-11-14 13:13:44

What was the result on opening night?

Posted by thevolleyballer 2012-11-14 15:10:08

Helena as murderer
Bazzard as Datchery
Puffer and Durdles as lovers

Solid results for opening, methinks.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-14 15:44:28

Thank goodness we might be getting away from the Puffer/Deputy pairing. I was growing tired of it.

I want to see Rosa as the murderer. Her song is by far the best.

Posted by HometownGlory 2012-11-14 20:52:56

Went to the matinee today knowing nothing about the show, I had purposefully avoided all spoilers.

Datchery: Bazzard (dead even with Helena - a man in the front row was asked to be the deciding vote)
Lovers: Helena Landless and the Deputy

Had a great time. Betsy Wolfe's confession was wonderful (she beat Jasper by only seven votes) and Jessie Mueller was hilarious with the Deputy.

Posted by nobodyhome 2012-11-14 23:16:23

Tonight:

Dick Datchery: Helena Landless
Murderer: Crisparkle
Lovers: Princess Puffer and Deputy

Posted by Sauja 2012-11-15 15:03:51

Question about the murderer: if Jasper is selected, does his confession simply stand and Durdles doesn't interrupt to say he can't let it go on?

And a question about the whole ending: how different are the various confessions? Safe to assume it's same music, different lyrics? I was really rooting for some more from Neville, but he didn't seem to be a real vote-getter

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-11-15 16:13:21

Officially, yes, Jaspar's confession is supposed to stand if he is voted the murderer, but since the audience is dissuaded from voting for him, he is rarely selected the murderer. (Apparently he was never selected during the original run of the show.) I believetThere is a suggestion from Rupert Holmes in the licensed score that if Jaspar is selected, the race be "fixed" so that the first runner up is given the murderer's confession. No idea what the broadway production (which has a tally board) would do if he wins.

The confessions differ significantly, especially because Rupert Holmes has revised three of them since the original broadway run. All confessions begin with a verse of the same music (those awesome crashing chords) before moving on to music associated with the character. Puffer, for example, segues into "The Wages of Sin" and Durdles' confession is a reprise of "Off to the Races." Originally, the confessions of Rosa, Helena, Neville and Crisparkle were all the same music, though Helena's was in a different key. Just as Jaspar's does, they begin with "A Man can go quite mad" before moving into a section based on a cut song called "When shall we three meet again" (The section that goes "But the night was far from bright/thick with wet and thunder" etc.), then ending with "No Good can come from Bad". Bazzard's also begins with "A Man can go quite mad" but then transitions into "Never the Luck."

Holmes revised Helena, Neville and Crisparkle's confessions to be based on "A British Subject." I can't decide if this is an improvement or not.

Posted by PalJoey 2012-11-15 17:41:00

I'm looking forward to seeing it Saturday.

Posted by broadwaybabe1234 2012-11-16 14:01:08

Shout out that i saw Crisparkles confession Wed night and it was hilarious, not to mention well sung. Loved the show. Hope it extends!

Posted by awildpidgeyappears 2012-11-16 17:54:11

Saw the show Wednesday night, as well, and had a blast! (Though, admittedly, some of this might've had to do with sitting in the front row so Rosa Bud bounced on my lap during There You Are and Chita talked to me during The Wages of Sin, but a good time is a good time!)

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-11-16 23:03:50

Awesome show tonight, GREAT audience....everyone sounded fantastic, and it was evident they were having a blast up there! So inspiring! Chita was particularly great vocally and in general tonight.

Lovers: Helena and Neville

Peter Benson has grown on me! So adorable!!! Glad to see Rosa's Confession, but I voted for Helena this time, because I saw Rosa's the last time. Oh well! Next time! (Wednesday)

Posted by nasty_khakis 2012-11-16 23:08:19

It's now officially my DREAM to see Helena and Neville as the Lovers. I know it's happened a bit so I hope I get to catch that delicious piece of awkward hilarity.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-11-16 23:20:39

It was HILARIOUS!!! So I hope you see it eventually. By the way, Since no one saw the show Thursday night, I was able to see the results from the previous night when I picked up my tickets this afternoon.

Murderer: Helena Landless

Rosa won tonight with a whopping 250 votes, followed by Puffer with 150.

Posted by broadwayboy101 2012-11-16 23:27:23

The second time I saw it, Helena won with 350 votes. Rosa was 2nd with 200. I couldn't believe she won by such a large margin!

Posted by BroadwayChica 2012-11-17 01:37:26

Was there tonight as well, seeing the show for the 2nd time. Bummed that we got Rosa as the murderer, since, great as her song is, I saw her last time. But I was THRILLED to see Bazzard as Datchery (he may be the most common result, but when I saw it last he wasn't selected at all) and ESPECIALLY about Helena and Neville. They were absolutely hilarious. The best part, though, was the obnoxious audience member in my section who, during their song, as the audience laughed and squealed, decided to loudly and with zero irony chime in with: "They're just actors, they're not REALLY brother and sister!!".

Posted by broadwayboy101 2012-11-17 01:46:58

I had something similar happen. I was sitting towards the front, and an elderly couple next to me seemed to think the performers were directly speaking to them every time they broke the fourth wall. Needless to say, there were quite a few yelled responses back that irked more than a few around us.

Posted by Sant 2012-11-17 03:06:01

In Thursday 11/15/12 performance:

Killer: Helena Landless
Lovers: Puffer and Neville Landless

It was hilarious: Andy Karl forgot his line in the beginning of his scene with Chita and said so, cracking Chita and the company up. Later on he joked about Puffer being able to handle his 'Pelvic Cobra', and pulled the pockets of his pants inside out and made some suggestive hip movements. The whole company on stage was laughing their heads off - and so was the audience.

Posted by PalJoey 2012-11-17 23:22:37

At the Saturday evening 11/17 performance:

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-11-18 00:03:56

That was the result the first night I saw the show, which also happened to be a Saturday night. Actually I love it when Helena is Datchery, and Rosa's Confession is my favorite! Looking forward to going back!

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-11-18 00:08:26

I thought the audience was kind of dead (no pun intended) tonight.

There wasn't as much laughter at the stuff that has gotten laughs in the past. They seemed very appreciative of the sets (which are gorgeous) and the cow costume during "An English Music Hall" (WTF).

Posted by get-it-right 2012-11-18 02:05:33

At the Saturday matinee 11/17 performance:

Murderer: Bazzard

Posted by jon2 2012-11-18 09:00:13

I was at the 11/17 satmat too and interestingly, in reference to the posts above, Jasper was only seven votes behind Bazzard as the murderer choice.

Posted by michellek45 2012-11-18 17:54:23

11/18 Matinee:

Lovers: Rosa and Deputy

Posted by PalJoey 2012-11-18 18:14:14

I really wanted Andy Karl to be the murderer, just because I thought he was terrific and I wanted to see his confession, but apparently I was pretty much alone.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-11-18 18:18:27

PalJoey, I did too! I think because he's so heavily implicated in Act I, it's a little less "fun" to choose someone who was sort of expected? Maybe? I don't know. I'm seeing the show for the 2nd time in a few weeks, I'd love to see Andy as the murderer, though Jessie Mueller was absolutely hilarious when I saw it, and I had absolutely no complaints.

Posted by BroadwayChica 2012-11-18 18:29:33

When I saw the show on Friday, the obnoxious audience member next to me clapped REALLY loudly for Andy Karl as Datchery, and when he was one of the only ones that did so, said "Well, *I* like him!"

Posted by PalJoey 2012-11-18 19:54:03

His line about his eyebrows and Jessie Mueller's about her "geographically" ambiguous accent were the two funniest moments in the show.

Other than the cow.

Posted by beaemma 2012-11-18 19:56:45

If the Roundabout ever does GYPSY, that cow will come in handy!

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-11-21 06:03:59

11/20 evening:

Posted by Kelly2 2012-11-21 10:34:17

PalJoey, I agree, LOVE the "geographically ambiguous" moment. I wish their parts were big enough to justify being in contention (as a duo!?) for Featured Actor/Actress because to me, they are just a comedic tour de force and were one of my favorite portions of the show.

I hope when I see it again that I see Rosa as the murderer, I've heard her confession is hilarious and I'd love to hear the fabu Betsy Wolfe sing more.

Posted by viola13 2012-11-21 17:51:53

11/21 mat

Re-reading this thread, may be interesting to some people that Jasper came in second place for the murderer, behind by about 20 or 30 votes I think. I know in my section he got the most votes, and was praying the rest of the audience would vote more interestingly. lol.

Posted by wickedfan11 2012-11-21 20:07:58

Does anyone know who Datchery and the lovers were last night (11/20)?

Posted by ghostlight2 2012-11-21 21:27:58

Bazzard was Datchery, Helena and Deputy the lovers (I think).

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-11-21 23:02:56

Great show again tonight! Forgive me, I LOVE this show and production...

MURDERER: The Reverend Crisparkle
LOVERS: Puffer and Bazzard (tie between Durdles and Bazz, audience member selected Bazzard at the Chairman's urging)

Glad I was able to see someone else's confession besides Rosa's, although Betsy Wolfe is brilliant. Gregg Edelman was hilarious, and as expected had a glorious voice to boot.

Cheers,
The Balladeer

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-11-24 00:13:02

11/23 evening

MURDERER: Helena Landless
LOVERS: Puffer and Deputy

Posted by bigbandsound 2012-11-24 12:44:46

11/23 matinee

MURDERER: Rosa
LOVERS: Helena/Durdles

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-11-24 14:17:04

I've seen this show quite a bit already and I have to say the audiences really make it or break it. The two more touristy audiences (post-Sandy, post-Thanksgiving) I've been a part of have voted for the crazier, funnier combinations: Helena and Neville as lovers, Helena as murderer, rather than what I feel is turning into the usual: Rosa as murderer, Helena as Datchery.

That's my theory, although I know there's no science to this by any means.

Posted by Phillytheatreguy10 2012-11-24 22:52:37

11/24 Matinee

Datchery- Bazzard
Murderer- Rosa Bud
Lovers- Helena/Deputy

Posted by capnkidd 2012-11-25 00:24:31

Eve:

Datchery - Bazzard

Murderer - Helena

Lovers - Puffer and Deputy

Posted by dtzumbrunnen 2012-11-25 18:53:01

11/25 Sunday Matinee

Datchery - Helena Landless

Murderer - Puffer

Lovers - Rosa Bud and Neville Landless

The cast was noticeably excited about the Rosa and Neville combination, and said this was the first time in the run that this pairing has happened and they'd been waiting for it! Betsy and Andy were cracking up - very fun to see!

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-11-25 20:30:49

If I remember correctly, the dialogue between Rosa and Neville was very heartfelt rather than funny in the 1989 Script. Did they keep this tone? What is the exchange like between the two?

Posted by dtzumbrunnen 2012-11-25 21:59:45

While the language was certainly heartfelt, because Betsy and Andy had been hamming it up so much trying to get the votes (it was a "run-off" for each of them - the voting was so tight in the larger group), they were both a bit giddy and the entire cast was egging them on - their actions were definitely over the top (i.e. Betsy jumped into Andy's arms). As they were getting through their song there we a few moments when they both were visibly trying to keep it together and not completely bust out laughing.

Since they are one of the "natural" combinations that doesn't come up very often, they were both just so excited to actually play out this scene together!

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-11-26 17:17:55

I don't think whether an audience is primarily consisted of tourists or not really determines who gets voted for what. If that were the case, I would think Bazzard would get voted for everything all the time, as the author is constantly suggesting that the audience vote for him, as he is "longing to play a larger part". I think Helena might be a less obvious choice, and Rosa certainly is a less obvious choice for murderer. With that logic, Neville and Jasper should be voted as murderer every night.

I actually saw Drood last Wednesday night with what seemed like mostly tourists in the audience, and Crisparkle was voted murderer.

Meanwhile setting next to me were obvious fans of the show, and they were clamoring for Rosa to be the murderer, because that is their favorite confession.

Who really knows?

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-11-27 02:15:24

in the original production Bazzard was reportedly voted as Datchery something like 80 percent of the time, which of course takes him out of the running as murderer. What I consider the "classic" Drood ending (ie the most common) is Bazzard as Datchery, Helena or Rosa as Murderer and Puffer and Durdles or Deputy as the Lovers.

Posted by PalJoey 2012-11-27 13:43:01

Neville still has never been the murderer?

Posted by nasty_khakis 2012-11-27 13:45:39

I saw Neville as the murderer at one of the very first previews.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-11-27 22:52:43

I guess the show may not be extending... at least not any time soon... there are ads of the show popping up online and they added a banner that says "Limited Engagement." Granted, that's what it is, but it's being reiterated...

Posted by HOUFlip04 2012-11-28 19:50:40

Heard the understudy for John Jasper, Spencer Plachy, went on for both shows today. Did anyone go and see him?

Posted by wickedfan11 2012-11-28 20:15:53

Does anyone know the results from last night's performance and today's matinee?

Posted by Blockhead24 2012-11-29 00:21:28

HouFlip04, Spencer was great.

11/28 evening show
Lovers: Helena and Deputy

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-11-29 23:55:08

11/29 evening

I think Durdles and Neville need to start 'fixing' the votes.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-11-30 00:13:17

Yeah. I was there as well tonight.

This makes 3 out of 4 times I've seen Rosa as the murderer. I was rooting for Helena myself. Oh well. Next time.

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-11-30 00:41:52

Stephanie was also telling everyone at stage door to tell everyone they knew to come see it. This didn't give me hope for an extension.

I really hope their numbers are better for the holiday season, I know they weren't great for Thanksgiving week.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-11-30 11:33:05

Was talking about the voting with a friend in the show and the way it works is that whoever is the murderer is put in the "#1" slot the next night, as the person who is #1 historically has never won because the audience is still a bit disoriented and confused by the process at that point. They do have a few different rules like that to try to ensure that the same ending isn't chosen every night, but obviously just reading this thread you can see some favorite endings and most common pairings have developed over time. It's unfortunate because some of the funniest endings in the script are ones that have rarely or never been chosen! Though I do love Helena and pretty much anyone as the lovers and thought she and Deputy made a particularly funny pairing.

Oh and for those talking about an extension, the cast is contracted through 3/10, so if there were an extension, that would be when it would extend until, beyond that contracts would need to be renegotiated.

Posted by little_sally 2012-11-30 21:09:07

I really hope this can extend until the end of June because I'd like to see it win Best Revival.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-11-30 23:02:13

11/30/12 Performance:

Lovers: Puffer and Durdles

Was able to go again tonight--my friend had an extra ticket. Will Chase was out tonight. He was definitely missed. Apparently, Neil Patrick Harris was there. I still wanted to see Helena's confession, or at least Neville's.

Posted by dtzumbrunnen 2012-12-01 12:17:17

Yeah, Spencer was alright, but didn't have that villainous quality. Even the boos and hisses for him were lacking compared to Chase. It was also weird to see in the opium den scene, the dream sequence Jasper did have a mustache, while during the rest of the show, he does not.

NPH was there. We were in line for the bathroom together until he got whisked away to some magical VIP urinal downstairs.

Posted by alliez92092 2012-12-02 01:13:42

12/1/12 Matinee Performance:

Lovers: Rosa and Bazzard

This was my first time seeing any production of this show and I had a blast! The first act is a little slow but for the most part it's super fun and the talent level of the cast is out of this world. A really great afternoon at the theater.

Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-02 06:48:44

I was at the matinee as well and loved it. (I saw the original cast back in the day, and have fond memories. ) There was a GREAT talkback session at the end and the actors there were quite generous with their time.

Mentioned was that it was the first time for their cast to have Rosa and Bazzard as lovers. It was a hoot. I'll elaborate is anyone wishes

As far as I could tell it was sold out or darn near close.

Posted by SonofMammaMiaSam 2012-12-03 09:33:48

I was also there for Mat. on Saturday and it was a sellout. I loved that we got the Rosa/Bazzard ending.

Posted by eperkins 2012-12-04 23:12:42

12/4 Results:

MURDERER: Princess Puffer
LOVERS: Rosa Bud & Master Nick Cricker (the red head boy)

Posted by abbagirl 2012-12-06 00:21:46

12/5 Results:

Murderer: Neville Landless (yay!)
Lovers: Puffer & Rev. Crisparkle

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-12-06 00:59:36

Yay! That sounds like such an interesting show!!! I saw the matinee today.

Lovers: Helena and Neville (LOL!!)

Posted by abbagirl 2012-12-06 01:03:47

Oops, forgot it was a 2-show day! :) Yeah, I was really excited for Andy winning as murderer, although I still really wanna see the Helena/Neville lovers combo, heh...

Posted by PalJoey 2012-12-06 07:26:31

I can't believe someone actually got to see Andy Karl's confession! What was it like?

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-06 07:51:01

Oh, you guys are so lucky! A friend is taking me tonight on a comp and I was praying to see Andy's confession! No chance now because of the way they shuffle people Sad. I second PalJoey, how was it?

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-12-06 11:03:23

Aw, yay! I saw it the first time it happened back in previews. I remember it being pretty hilarious, although I'm sure it is even more so now, because Andy Karl's obviously having such a fun time hamming it up in that role.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-06 11:08:42

I'm sure whatever ending I see tonight will be delightful! I've seen Helena and Puffer as the murderers and Neville and Puffer/Helena and Deputy as the lovers, so I'm just hoping for a new one tonight, though I certainly cannot get enough of the lovely Jessie Mueller (as evidenced by my avatar).

Would love to see Helena/Neville as the lovers, I'm sure it's hysterical. Neville was the runner up when I saw Helena and Deputy and even Andy Karl and Jessie Mueller's interactions during the voting were hilarious.

Posted by xoffender45 2012-12-06 13:54:05

I hate to ask this question on this thread, but I didn't want to open up a whole new one. I had purchased 3rd row aisle orchestra seats, only to find out I could buy tickets for a lot less through Hiptix Gold, so I did, and they refunded the difference, but now I'm sitting second row center in the mezzanine. In terms of view, and audience participation, how good or bad are these new seats? I've only ever sat in the very very back of Studio 54, so I don't know

Posted by Rainbowhigh23 2012-12-06 15:23:42

I much preferred the show from the orchestra section. I sat in both orchestra and last row of mezzanine and the show plays more to orchestra, and the actors walk through the crowd to explain the voting. Orchestra left will get you Stephanie J. Block as Alice Nutting!

Posted by xoffender45 2012-12-06 15:49:39

I figured it would be played more towards the orchestra, but for a $150 difference in prices, I'm willing to watch the action instead of taking part!! But does this mean that the actors don't come up to the mezzanine?

Posted by notzach2 2012-12-06 16:00:11

The actors do go up in the mezzanine. Before the show, Alison Cimmet, Kyle Coffman, Eric Sciotto, Jim Walton, Spencer Plachy, and Nick Corley are upstairs. And during the voting, the front mezzanine is split down the middle between Eric Sciotto and Kyle Coffman. Having sat 6th row orchestra and several rows in the front mezz, they're really very equal. I don't really see this "playing to the orchestra" idea. They play to the whole theatre, if you on an in aisle in the orchestra, sure, there's a chance you'll be touched or spoken to by Stephanie or Andy, or someone. But in the mezzanine, the actors talk to everyone as well. Enjoy the show!

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-06 17:02:57

xoffender, is there someone specific you want to be nearby or do you just want to feel a part of the participatory action in general? I'm sure someone here probably has a good knowledge of the blocking to specify which actors enter from where and what seats are closest to them. I can't say I remember a lot of that specifically beyond seeing Will Chase and Stephanie J. Block spend a good deal of time within the first few rows of the right orchestra.

Posted by sidwich 2012-12-06 17:16:13

I sat on the right aisle of the orchestra, and Will Chase was out and interacting with that part of the audience for quite a while before the show started the day I saw it. He was out way before any of the other actors that day, joking about how we were the people he was going to be spitting on at that performance. (And WOW, he wasn't kidding. He spits A LOT when he sings.)

Posted by wickedfan11 2012-12-06 17:59:03

How is interaction in the first few rows on the left aisle of the orchestra?

Posted by abbagirl 2012-12-06 18:19:11

Yesterday I saw Stephanie literally sit down in an empty seat next to someone up there (first few rows on the left of orch) for a while before the show, lol...

Posted by xoffender45 2012-12-06 21:05:42

Kelly2, no one in particular. Just wanna feel like part of the action. I'm guessing sitting in the middle of the row instead of an aisle lessens my chance even more. How far is the mezzanine from the stage?

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-06 23:24:14

12/06/12

So thrilled to finally see Betsy Wolfe's confession and hear her belt a little bit more. What a fabulous voice/talent. This show really is pure theatre magic, down to the very smallest details. An embarrassment of riches, indeed.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-07 12:45:40

Oh and xoffender, to answer your question the view from the front of the mezzanine is great, though I couldn't tell you exactly which row it hangs over at the theatre. I would venture to say that no matter where you sit, you feel like a part of the action, but if you really want to interact with the actors before the show and the like, the aisles in the orchestra seem to be the place to be.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-07 18:25:51

Also! Now I'm stalking this thread but I have a question: do they still give out the faux programs for the Music Hall show as they did during previews or has that been discontinued?

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-12-07 23:39:55

Awesome show tonight!!! The cast was on fire!

Lovers: Rosa Bud and Neville Landless

Finally got to see Helena as the murderess! So fantastic! Jessie Mueller has an amazing voice and a fantastic actress! The Lovers were hilarious, however, it was a tie between Neville and Durdles, but not really, as the audience really wanted Durdles, so the Chairman asked an audience member to vote. The audience member chose Neville, which prompted the audience to "boo" the audience member and Neville! Hilarious! It was a great night and audience!

Posted by SisiBelle 2012-12-08 22:04:52

12/07/12 matinee

Rosa Bud was a very close 2nd for the murderer according to the boards leaving the theatre; iirc, there were 2 votes difference.

Posted by little_sally 2012-12-08 22:12:26

Kelly, when I went last week, they did not give out the programs.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-09 12:49:08

Little_sally, interesting. I wonder if it's worth mentioning the only time I received one of the faux programs was when I sat in the mezzanine, I didn't notice if they were distributed in the orchestra as well. Sad that they discontinued using them, if they have, they were cute.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-12 17:35:34

Caught the matinee today last minute, finally saw Andy Karl's brilliant confession. Well worth the wait, he is hilarious and so completely committed. Excellent use of eyebrows and walking stick.

12/12/12 matinee:
Murderer: Neville Landless

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-12 18:48:53

Oh, and caught a peek at the board from last night, Rosa was the murderer and Bazzard was Datchery.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-13 10:17:56

Totally gonna keep this thread alive myself. According to twitter, last night's murderer was Rev. Crisparkle. What is his justification for the murder, does anyone know?

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-12-13 10:25:30

Thanks for keeping up updated!

Posted by PalJoey 2012-12-13 10:32:23

I'm so jealous you saw Andy Karl's confession.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-13 11:23:36

PalJoey, this is his 2nd time in the past week or so, I believe, so maybe your chances of seeing it are improving. He was only about 20 votes behind Betsy Wolfe in the count I saw for Tuesday night's murderer.

EDIT: Here's a quote from Betsy in a recent interview regarding Andy's confession:

"If you were in the audience, who would you vote as the murderer?
Wolfe: The one that doesn't get chosen as much as I feel like it should is Andy Karl, who plays Neville. And maybe that's because I've seen his confession, and it's really actually quite funny. And I don't think people expect his confession to be funny because he's one of the more obvious villains of the piece, but his confession is quite enjoyable and quite funny. He rarely gets to do it. He has such great comedic timing. This cast is full of gems. You can't go wrong."

http://www.backstage.com/interview/mystery-edwin-drood-star-betsy-wolfe-trusting-her-instincts/

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-12-13 11:29:04

Kelly,

Thanks for keeping us posted! I am glad someone else is obsessed with this production as I am!

I too am jealous you got to see Neville's Confession.

The jist of Crisparkle's confession is that he murdered Drood because he saw him as a threat in wooing "Rosa's Mother" (Rosa). But as we all know, it's really Rosa and not her mother, so Drood wasn't a "threat" at all. It's a funny and well acted and sung confession by Gregg Edelman.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-13 11:41:46

I confess to being completely obsessed, though I sadly probably will not be able to see it again for quite some time, so you'll have to keep this thread updated on my behalf!

The rest of Betsy's interview is pretty interesting as well, I didn't realize she was ending up as the killer almost 50% of the time.

Posted by balto2 2012-12-15 08:42:21

Friday, December 14th

LOVERS: Puffer and Deputy #2

Deputy #1 -Nicholas Barasch- was in the show through the Cemetery scene. His understudy -Kyle Coffman- finished out the first act and was announced at Intermission to replace for the 2nd Act. Anybody have any idea what happened?

During the Lovers voting, Puffer won overwhelmingly. The cast overwhelmingly threw support to the Deputy understudy and it appeared to be complete genuine enthusiasm and excitement to watch the two give their song. Definitely fun for us too.

Posted by tripelite 2012-12-15 16:04:16

12/12/12 evening:
Murderer: Rev. Crisparkle
Lovers: Puffer and Neville Landless

It was a great (and apparently unusual) combination. Helena seemed thrilled to be selected as Datchery. Crisparkle won by one vote - I'm a Gregg Edelman fan, so I like to think I put him over the top. Puffer and Neville made a dynamite combination as the lovers. Andy Karl was hilarious, and the even the cast seemed to have trouble containing their laughter.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-15 16:06:02

Oh, I love Puffer and Neville as the lovers! Such a fun combination! I'd love to see Gregg Edelman's confession one day, to me he's such an unsung hero of this show. His comedic timing is flawless.

Posted by PhyllisRogers-Stone 2012-12-16 02:18:46

Saturday, December 15th (Evening)

LOVERS: Puffer and Crisparkle

I don't know if this usually happens, but it was almost a tie between Helena/Puffer and Crisparkle/Durdles (Robert Creighton's u/s was on) as the lovers. Both had to go through two rounds of applause and finally ended with one member of the audience choosing! Gregg and Chita were hysterical.

I thought that Puffer would've been the murderer, as my section and the section near me seemed to vote for her overwhelmingly (I voted for Andy Karl!). Rosa won by a landslide, however (over 200 votes). Interesting that Helena/Neville each got the same exact number of votes.

Tonight was my first time at the show. I enjoyed it immensely!

Posted by Blockhead24 2012-12-16 11:32:14

Eric Sciotto is going on for Andy today! Anyone going?

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-16 12:29:24

How exciting! Lots of understudies lately. Good luck to him, I'm sure he will be wonderful.

Posted by wdwfreak 2012-12-16 17:51:43

I was there today and WHAT A SHOW!

First off with the voting,
Datchery- ROSA BUD!!! (Honestly been waiting for this to happen! This was the first time this has happened)
Murderer- Princess Puffer
Lovers- Helena and Bazzard

Eric was really good as Neville. Doesn't have the funny part that Andy has, but I'm sure it will change. It was his first time on. He sung the role really well though!

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-16 18:12:41

Wdw, Rosa as Datchery?? How fun! How was that? Glad to hear Eric did so well, especially on such short notice. I'm sure with more time+rehearsal he'll develop his own humor/quirks in the part.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-12-16 18:42:13

I am so jealous that you got to see Rosa as Datchery! I had been hoping to see that forever! How was it? Please elaborate! Does Betsy Wolfe belt most of that, too? I love either Helena or Rosa are Datchery!

Posted by AC126748 2012-12-16 18:47:25

What other understudies have gone on lately?

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-16 18:53:12

AC1, Nick Corley was on for Robert Creighton for both shows yesterday, as well as the substitution of Kyle Coffman for Nicholas Barasch mentioned previously in this thread on Friday.

I also heard that Alison Cimmet made a very funny Princess Puffer right after the hurricane.

Posted by Elder Katt 2012-12-18 17:51:45

How do they handle the scene between Puffer & Rosa when the latter is Datchery?? I've been so curious to know.

Posted by theatreguy 2012-12-18 17:55:14

Rosa exits halfway through "Garden Path to Hell" and Puffer finishes singing to herself.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-18 17:57:39

Are there maybe some germs running around backstage? :) Kyle Coffman will be on for Deputy tonight!

Posted by Elder Katt 2012-12-18 18:11:31

theatreguy, thanks for that. Does Puffer just talk to herself or talk to the audience about who Datchery is, then?

Posted by notzach2 2012-12-18 18:17:53

No, there was actually a really hysterical scene right after "Garden Path to Hell." Rosa says something to the effect of "Things are not always what they appear to be. Let me show you!" and then runs offstage and motions for Helena to come onstage. Helena then introduces herself as Rosa's friend and then claims she overheard Puffer's story and asks her what else happened. Chita then got a little tripped up so Jessie had to lead her along most of the way for the rest of the scene. The scene may have been just as funny as Betsy's Datchery song.

Balladeer -- Betsy's Datchery is mostly belting. Breathtaking.

Posted by Elder Katt 2012-12-18 18:34:23

That's awesome! Thanks for describing.

Posted by EponineAmneris 2012-12-18 23:15:29

Literally JUST got back from tonight's show.

Rosa was the murderer, Bazzard was Datchery and Helena and Durdles were the couple.

Posted by wickedfan11 2012-12-19 07:22:54

I just bought a front row ticket for January 31. I can't wait!

Posted by GilmoreGirlO2 2012-12-19 10:25:18

I was there the night of the 15th, front row (I was the audience member who got to pick Puffer as one of the lovers) – what an amazing experience. I was charmed by every single person in that cast and had a brilliant time throughout. I highly recommend sitting near the front if you can – I feel like I caught a lot that I would have otherwise missed, mainly the hilarity that comes out of Betsy Wolfe’s mouth (not to mention Stephanie belting five feet from you is an experience not to be missed). I hope the show continues having a great run and gets extended again. Wish I was able to come back and see the different outcomes!

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-19 17:37:13

12/19/12, matinee

Oh my god. I just need to express somewhere how brilliant Peter Benson's confession was. One of the funniest I've seen, though Neville's remains my favorite. It's a ridiculous and delicious slow descent into utter madness. The cast seemed to be very amused by the ending and there was a ton of breaking character going on, not sure what it was but the energy was just great. Brava! I promise I will stop seeing this show now. Maybe.

Posted by broadwaydevil 2012-12-19 20:46:30

Has anyone sat on the extreme right of the orchestra about 7-8 rows back? How is the view? Is it at all obstructed?

Posted by obsessedjb 2012-12-20 22:56:51

12/20

Datchery: bazzard
Murderer: rosa bud
Lovers: crisparkle and Helena

Posted by Born in a Ditch 2012-12-22 00:40:34

12/21
Lovers: Puffer & Deputy

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-12-22 15:20:02

Wait! Is this the first time Crisparkle and Helena have been voted LOVERS?

I was there a couple weeks ago and he was in the top three, but it turned out to be Helena and Deputy. I said something to Gregg Edelman at stage door and he said that he and Jessie kept pulling for it, but it hadn't happened yet.

It's one of the pairings that is naturally in the story (like Neville and Rosa) so I was wondering what their song was like.

Posted by wickedfan11 2012-12-22 17:26:38

Janine DiVita is making her debut as Edwin Drood tonight!

Posted by wickedfan11 2012-12-22 17:26:41

Janine DiVita is making her debut as Edwin Drood tonight!

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-22 17:42:08

Ooh, if anyone sees her definitely report back, would love to know how she does.

Go Janine!

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-12-22 23:08:32

D: Bazzard
M: Rosa
L: Helena and Neville Landless

Janine did a good job. I can't even imagine what a hard job that is and the nerves you probably have, even with notice. Her singing was good and I think she only dropped one line, but she just doesn't have that sparkle (or belt) that SJB does. (I say this knowing Drood is almost a thankless role in this production...kind of gets outshined by everyone else.) I have to say that I really missed Steph the most in the Christmas dinner scene. It just wasn't as fun to watch Janine and Andy be mad at each other.

Speaking of, I've seen Helena and Neville as lovers twice, but I swear tonight was even more hilarious than before. Their reactions and chemistry as brother and sister are so, so spot on--Jessie hit him tonight when he was trying to kiss her--I totally buy them as having that brother and sister bond. I think that may be the hardest I've laughed at the theater in awhile.

ETA: Macaco J. Block was also out this evening.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-22 23:56:32

I am so jealous! Helena and Neville as the lovers are the only ending I want to see that I haven't managed to catch! I sadly can't justify going anymore to attempt it but maybe someone will make it possible to "see" it anyway.

Posted by bestfreakinshoes 2012-12-23 00:08:00

There's already audio floating around.

The really sweet thing about it is how much they DON'T want to kiss each other, but then at the end, after the song is over, Andy dips Jessie and kisses her. Cutest.

Posted by supersam1026 2012-12-23 00:24:41

12/22 Matinee (Stephanie J. Block was in)
Murderer: Crisparkle
Lovers: Puffer and Bazzard

Posted by wickedfan11 2012-12-23 13:00:50

Janine is on for Stephanie again today.

Posted by supersam1026 2012-12-23 13:07:32

Oh, and after the matinee yesterday a few members of the cast participated in a talkback with the audience, they said that between all 3 things voted on by the audience there are 326 different endings!!! Guess this thread will be able to go on for quite a bit! Just thought this would be an interesting fact for you Drood fans

Posted by jewishboy 2012-12-23 18:36:21

I saw the show today. I did miss Stephanie's spark in the book scenes, but Janine's "writing on the wall" was as good as I could have hoped for. I thought that last note sounded glorious!

Datcharey: Bazzard
Murderer: Chrisparkle!

The lovers song was great, it seemed like the whole cast was losing it with the audience. I was so glad Gregg Edelman got picked as the murderer. He was on fire today and might have been my all around favorite cast member.

Posted by BwayBaby18 2012-12-26 02:46:29

Has anyone noticed if certain crowds vote certain ways? I saw the show last month on a Sunday and again on the 23rd with a very similar out come (only difference was Helena [which i am pretty much sure had a big part to do with my obnoxious cat calling]).

Have there been any obvious patterns?

Posted by florida theatre kid 2012-12-26 23:56:57

12/26, 8 p.m.

Lovers: Rosa & Deputy

Amazing performance, and Betsy was hilarious during the love sequence at the end.

Posted by florida theatre kid 2012-12-26 23:57:03

12/26, 8 p.m.

Lovers: Rosa & Deputy

Amazing performance, and Betsy was hilarious during the love sequence at the end.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-27 01:04:30

I find it so odd that Helena is Datchery so often it seems! I've seen her do it only once myself, but it seems so set up in the script for it to be Bazzard, and I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread that in the original production, he was chosen like 80% of the time.

Bwaybaby18, re: certain crowds, I'm not sure about that. I did notice that the most "unusual" endings that I saw (Neville as the murderer, separate time Neville/Puffer as the lovers) were crowds that were not really theatre crowds, lot of blue haired matinee ladies, students, that kind of thing. I dunno if that's related or at all playing a part though.

Posted by wdwfreak 2012-12-27 01:11:37

^ Well, I've seen the show 7 times now. The first time I went was the only time I had Helena as Datchery. The next 5 times it was Bazzard, and the final time it was Rosa.

I don't know how it was done in the original, but it seems what they say before Bazzard the whole why else is he in the book thing, convinces a lot of people that he is Datchery.

Posted by TheBalladeer 2012-12-27 01:30:22

Well, I have seen the show 7 times as well...(Crazy, I know....) and Helena has been Datchery 4 out of the 7 times I saw it.

Bazzard should easily be Datchery almost every time, as Kelly2 mentioned, the author is almost telling us to vote for him. However, early in Act One, there is a hint/mention of Helena disguised as a boy highlighted by a musical sting/chime that Jessie Mueller brilliantly uses to the maximum effect. Maybe the audiences are really paying attention to detail. That, and I think Ms. Mueller is very likable and funny from the instant she steps on stage, so people like her and root for her to do more in the show.

As for the murderer outcomes, if Rosa ends up being voted for the night before, she will most likely not be the murderer for the performance directly after...I feel like if a character is very popular, and they have a number from 4 and up, they have a really good chance of being the murderer, especially if the audience is not as theatre-savvy.

Crisparkle has a great final statement that always goes over well....so does Helena and Rosa.

So jealous you got to see Rosa as Datchery. I wonder how THAT happened, and how do we get it to happen more often?!?!?!!

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-27 23:12:30

For anyone interested, some fun facts:

http://alisonpoole.tumblr.com/post/39009829814/droodawards

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-28 12:49:45

For those who asked about the logic/math behind the choices, I've got some info for you coming very soon!

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-28 17:26:31

And just to add, my math totally works. I'm 3/3 with my most probably picks winning murderer this week according to the Drood twitter.

Posted by The Josh 2012-12-28 22:39:13

12/28

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-28 22:45:24

Oh man, that makes me really irrationally happy because it means if you use my math to predict the results, you would've been right about 4 of the 5 known outcomes for this week.

Here's the post with all the breakdowns: http://alisonpoole.tumblr.com/post/39094305500/the-big-fat-edwin-drood-math-post

Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-29 00:09:09

Pleased to have been at the only Rosa/Bazzard performance. It really was a hoot.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-29 11:01:20

I bet! I just feel lucky enough that the couple times I saw it, I was able to see different endings each time. :)

Posted by shrekster224 2012-12-29 23:59:02

12/29/12 Matinee

(Same line up as opening night)

Wow! What an afternoon of theater. I tried to to read too much about the show, but I did watch the promo video and ended up reading the NYTimes review, but it was still like watching from a clean slate, which I usually do not do. This whole cast is absolutely amazing, and I would honestly watch any of them do the endings because they are all that talented. Had not experienced Jessie Mueller as a performer before, but I am definitely a fan!! She delivered throughout the whole show and I could barely take my eyes off of her. Glad she was voted murderer because her confession was great. Besty Wolfe was fantastic and hilarious, and Moonfall was chill-inducing. Andy Karl was a riot, but he did look disappointed when he wasn't voted for anything. I voted for him as the male lover as I thought more would, but Deputy had family in the audience, so he got a loud reaction along with Durdles, then there was a tie-breaker and it was about even, so Jim Norton just chose Durdles. Rob Creighton is truly a great actor, and he and Chita gave quite a Perfect Strangers reprise. Chita was on fire for this show! I know some have said that she has been vocally off, but she sounded fine even though she spoke-sung most of it. Didn't enjoy Peter Benson at first, but he really grew on me, especially during Out on a Limerick as Bazzard. Will Chase, IMO, gave a terrific performance! I thought it was well manicured, yes, but also very effective. Interesting how the ensemble is sort of divided up into two male dancers (Coffman and Sciotto), two male singers (Walton and Plachy), two female dancers (Schmidt and Lewis), two female singers (Cimmet and DiVita). I would love to see Eric Sciotto on for either Neville or Jasper at some point.

Stephanie J. Block: wow, can she sing a song. I was surprised the actual role of Drood was as small as it is! Was expecting her to carry the show being in the title role, but I guess I also didn't expect the murder to be in the first act. She has such a charm to her and an incredible presence.

The characters and performances given made the afternoon enjoyable and fully worth the price of admission! I'd love to go back soon.

Posted by givesmevoice 2012-12-30 00:42:31

12/29/12 Evening

SO glad I was finally able to catch this and it was just as much fun as I was hoping.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-30 11:15:44

I'm taking a friend this week for her birthday, I really hope we catch a good one, though IMO there are no bad endings.

What do you guys think is the best ending for someone who's never seen it before? My first thought is probably Rosa as the murderer, but then again I think Helena or Neville would be fun too.

Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-30 11:51:04

Honestly -- I don't think it matters. The experience is new and fresh and fun.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-30 11:55:43

True. I mean, I've never not enjoyed an ending, so I'm sure the same would be true for most people.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2012-12-30 12:06:03

I know nothing about this show but it seems fun from the little bit of what I've read. Is it interactive or how does that work?

Posted by rhdery 2012-12-30 22:57:38

It is interactive at times. I almost don't to say too much as the surprise aspects are as always part of the magic of theater. I finally saw it today and it is great theater. Here's how we voted:

Murderer: Rosa Budd

Lovers: puffer and cricker the younger

Posted by bjh2114 2012-12-31 02:11:00

How did they handle the female lover voting for that one? Since Helena was Datchery and Rosa Budd was the murderer, did they just say "So... pick a man to be in love with Puffer!" ?

Posted by ChairinMain 2012-12-31 05:00:25

the Datchery is still a candidate for lover, I think. Unlike the Murderer, there's nothing to say he/she isnt available for a little romance.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-31 08:59:02

I believe there was one evening where Jessie Mueller (Helena) was both Datchery and one of the lovers.

Posted by bjh2114 2012-12-31 09:02:59

Oh that's hilarious. I would love to see that.

Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-31 09:07:25

The whole show is not interactive. The audience (as you see from the results) determines each perf "whodunnit" and a few other endings. Dickens died before he finished writing Drood, so the conceit is to leave it up to the audience.

There are only a few moments when individuals are singled out. (and very few at that)

Posted by bjh2114 2012-12-31 09:10:31

Dramamama, I have no idea if that was directed towards me... but I have seen Drood and completely understand the concept lol. I just didn't know that if a girl is picked as Datchery, she is ALSO eligible as one of the lovers. I just assumed that once someone was picked for something, they were out of the running for all other things (though I guess that only applies to the murderer, NOT Datchery).

Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-31 09:45:29

No, not you BJH -- someone was asking about the show being interactive. I think I was responding to UCJRdude.

Posted by notzach2 2012-12-31 14:12:34

If one of the ladies is chosen as Datchery, she is still in the running to be one of the lovers because there's only three of them. But if one of the men is chosen as Datchery, he is left out of the lover voting.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-31 14:37:54

To be fair, it is very rare that Helena is chosen as both. I believe it has only happened one time. I think the audience generally wants to give someone different a chance.

Posted by rhdery 2012-12-31 19:02:30

Hey, BJH-- yes, Helena was in the running also. That's how they did it, so we had two to vote for. It was hilarious and interesting, and I am glad the audience went for something a little different as it was very interesting to me plus I have a thing for crossdressing in shows!

Posted by wickedfan11 2013-01-02 17:10:07

According to the Drood Twitter account (@EdwinDrood54), Rosa Bud was the murderer at the 12/30 matinee and last night (1/1), and Puffer was the murderer at the 12/30 evening performance.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-02 23:33:46

Tonight's performance was by far the most energetic I have ever seen, and during the lovers, the vamp was full of ad-libs and lasted at least twice as long as I've ever seen. At one point Will was busting a gut and said "I can't do this." and walked off to go sit down offstage. Fave ad-lib? Andy Karl calling Chita his "lamb vindaloo".

The crowd tonight was also amazing, so so into it! Wow! Took a friend to see it for the first time and she loved it.

1/2/13:

Posted by ghostlight2 2013-01-03 00:37:55

The weds matinee was Puffer as murderer, Bazzard as Datchery, and the incestuous Landless lovers.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-03 08:49:47

Jealous to have missed the incest love again. Still laughing about last night, to be honest. The line I couldn't remember someone posted on Twitter, which involved Andy Karl doing a bit of a snake charmer dance and then telling Chita "I'm sure you could charm the pants off my pet cobra." Died!

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-04 06:23:13

PalJoey, I wasn't there last night but a friend was and it seems Andy Karl was the murderer!

1/3/13
Murderer: Neville

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-04 06:32:26

Damn...that kid playing the Deputy certainly earns his pay! :)

Posted by broadwaydevil 2013-01-05 17:53:44

It was a raucous, good time again.

1/5 Matinee

Lovers: Helena and Durdles

Posted by OKBroadwayFan 2013-01-05 23:56:14

Great Show!
Tonight's results 1.5.13

Datchery-Bazzard
Murderer-Rosa Bud
Lovers-Helena & Neville Landless

Posted by carolineorchange21 2013-01-06 09:40:41

1/3/13

Datchery- Bazzard
Murderer- Neville Landless
Lovers- Helena Landless & Deputy

Jessie Mueller, fabulous as expected.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-06 15:24:59

So for all of you who have seen different endings or seen it more than just once, what pairings/murderers have been your favorites?

Puffer/Neville is my favorite lover pairing by a mile, and IMO Neville, Helena, and Rosa's confessions are the best.

I've only seen it 4 times but I've been lucky enough to see a different ending each time.

Posted by Blockhead24 2013-01-06 15:29:00

I loved Crisparkle and Helena as the lovers and Rosa Bud's confession.

Posted by wonderfulwizard11 2013-01-06 18:08:05

1/6/13

Murderer: Helena, who won with 186 votes, I believe

Such a terrific show- it's been one of my favorites for a while, and I was so thrilled to see it. And so happy that Helena was voted murderer- Jessie Mueller's voice is beyond terrific.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-06 18:16:30

Helena's confession may be my favorite, Jessie just has such a powerful voice. That last note is just perfect.

Posted by ssbutterfly 2013-01-09 06:07:01

I was at last night's show. It was my first time seeing it and I was totally blown away! I was so pleased with the results! There was a tie for Datchery between Puffer and Helena so The Chairman picked a woman to be the deciding vote. She chose Helena. There was also a tie between Deputy and Durdles for the Male lover and I got to be the deciding vote! I picked Deputy. It was such a fun night!

Murderer: Neville

Posted by Emmaloucbway 2013-01-09 21:13:49

Alison Cimmet is on for Princess Puffer (Chita Rivera) today. Was anybody there? How was she?