"Rose’s Last Turn" - A Photo Diary of Patti LuPone's Final Day in GYPSY - New York Magazine

logan0215 Profile Photologan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
X-posting this as the majority of you may be avoiding threads regarding the "Stopping the show" incident (although this falsifies the claim that New York Magazine was there that day).

http://nymag.com/arts/theater/features/53603/
I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
...so can the rumors of the photographer being there at the incident be true?
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
PiraguaGuy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Rose’s Last Turn' - A Photo Diary of Patti LuPone's Final Day in GYPSY
Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08
Updated On: 1/25/09 at 11:39 PM
logan0215
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What is with the reading comprehension on this board???

a. There was A PERSON taking photos the day the show was stopped.

b. Lie-tellers were claiming that the photographer was there for an article in New York Magazine which therefore vilifies LuPone.

c. This articles shows that there was a photographer at the final performance of the show (the day AFTER the "stopping the show" incident) from New York Magazine.

d. The photographer who caused the show to be stopped is still at large and for all intents and purposes was NOT from the media.
I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock
Updated On: 1/25/09 at 11:42 PM
April Saul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think what this proves is that even if these photos were taken at a performance the day AFTER Lupone's rant, which is what some people are saying, it's easy to see why there'd be a misunderstanding here. And like I just said on the other thread, it makes you wonder why the photography would be so INCREDIBLY upsetting to Lupone on Saturday night if it was fully sanctioned on Sunday afternoon...unless we're talking obnoxious flash photos from up close!
BroadwayBound115 Profile PhotoBroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That is actually a really nice compilation of photos.
logan0215
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Because flashes from the mezzanine would be better?

And what do you mean "what some people are saying?" These photo are chronicling the final performance of Gypsy. They were sanctioned photos by the production team that Patti was fully aware of being taken.

The person taking photos the Saturday before had no such sanction and therefore threw Patti for a loop (no pun intended).
husk_charmer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For the Win:
http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer
NGeorgiaBwayFan Profile PhotoNGeorgiaBwayFan Profile Photo
NGeorgiaBwayFan
Stand-by
Stand-by
Loved this photo diary -- beautiful work.

I can't imagine letting anyone take my picture before I got out of bed.

(Also, I loved that there was a shot of the girls inside the cow.)
"Like the good Lord says . . . Ya gotta take the rough with the smooth, Baby!" Madame Rose
logan0215
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The photo of Emma Zaks (dare I speak her name? its like saying YOUTUBE aloud on BWW) is breath-taking and shockingly Lovett-esque.
April Saul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No, of course, it's not okay for an audience member to take flash OR non-flash photos from the orchestra OR the mezzanine. But the NY Magazine photos debunk a lot of statements I've read here about how NO photog would ever be allowed to do this, etc. and CALL ME CRAZY BUT I WAS ACTUALLY THINKING THIS MIGHT ALL BE A MISUNDERSTANDING GIVEN THAT THERE IN FACT MIGHT HAVE BEEN TWO INCIDENTS OF PICTURE-TAKING IN BACK-TO-BACK PERFORMANCES OF GYPSY WITH BOTH A SANCTIONED AND AN UN-SANCTIONED PHOTOGRAPHER!!

Or maybe it's just that you guys like to fight and call each other names on this board...I give up!
PiraguaGuy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
At large...LOL.
Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08
logan0215
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Law & Order: Patti-Lu
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For anyone ever curious as to what it feels/looks like to stand on a Broadway stage and look out at a packed house:

LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Or maybe it's just that you guys like to fight and call each other names on this board...I give up!

You've been here for almost two years and you're just now figuring this out?
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
April Saul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol..Lizzie, you are absolutely right, I guess they just bring out the mom in me!
JaredBway
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
"For anyone ever curious as to what it feels/looks like to stand on a Broadway stage and look out at a packed house:"

that maybe what it looks like, but a photo can never even begin to make you feel what it really feels like to be standing in that spot, esp. under that condition. it's a feeling ill never be able to quite put into words. although it wasn't with this show, its still an amazing feeling none the less
skb2010 Profile Photoskb2010 Profile Photo
skb2010
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MTF3, I found a new profile picture for you.

I didn't even recognize her. Guess she didn't need Elle.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I? I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LuPone gauged the mood of fans outside as “just over the top. They were grateful, thankful that they had this theatrical experience. That says a couple of things: We did a really good job, and the theater is in a really bad place.”

Does anyone know what she means by that?
logan0215
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I LOVED that quote.

She means she's grateful people appreciate the performance/show so much, but the fact that such adoration is being piled on to the show may mean that there isn't really much else out there to compare it to. The fact that one show is being lifted so high up by fans may speak to the quality of what is out there on Broadway right now.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i think you're right, Logan. But what does this mean?

"Parting is such sorrowful sweat."
logan0215
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A beautiful, beautiful typo.
RomanBartelli
Swing
Swing
The pictures of Patti rolling around on the floor... her crazy red prison door... the note from her written in lipstick on the mirror.

SHE IS CRAZY! And I love her.
givesmevoice Profile Photogivesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I would assume the picture of her laying on the floor of her dressing room is of her stretching...but I can't for the life of me figure out what muscle group she'd be stretching. her neck?
When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
legally_popular Profile Photolegally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
^haha, I was wondering the same thing!

Gorgeous photos though.