Page: 1

Speechless...

BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Speechless...#0
Posted: 1/12/04 at 3:16pm
Oh my gosh, I am overwhelmed! As soon as I walked in the door from school, my mom had a BIG smile on her face...I knew something was going on. I asked her what and she sat me down. "Derric, what would you like more than anything for your birthday?" I am so used to thinking small that I said see Urinetown in Cleveland. WRONG. My next guess: NYC? YEP! MY DREAM COME TRUE!!!! She has some connection with a neigboring high school's art deptartment and they are taking a three day trip there. They have extra seats and I go asked to go! I AM SO FREAKING excited. Speechless... The sad part: the only show we would get to see is RENT. Speechless... RENT is good, but there are so much better shows out there. I thought of this:

a) am gonna want to see more shows/do more things
b) school rules
c) do not know anyone

Then I said

d) IT IS NYC!! The place I want to live and have not even visited.

Should I go??
CCM '10!
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Speechless...#1
Posted: 1/12/04 at 3:20pm
My question to you is why would you want to live in NYC if you haven't even visited?

I would go just because it allows you to experience something new.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 1/12/04 at 03:20 PM
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Speechless...#2
Posted: 1/12/04 at 3:23pm
Ummm, it is where I want to start my career...love cities...who knows, I might hate it, but I need to find out somehow.
CCM '10!
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Speechless...#3
Posted: 1/12/04 at 3:27pm
I would definitely go just for the experience. I live in NYC and it's a great place to visit, much different when you live here.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Craig Profile PhotoCraig Profile Photo
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Speechless...#4
Posted: 1/12/04 at 3:31pm
I agree. I actually grew up here and after a few years post college HAD to move away. Just moved back and love it. It's not for everyone, and can depend many factors such as age, economics, etc..
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
BroadwayDiva Profile PhotoBroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Speechless...#5
Posted: 1/12/04 at 3:35pm
I think you should go. RENT is an amazing show, and to see it in NYC is really great.

Also, it's a really good experience.
I have my books and my poetry to protect me...
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Speechless...#6
Posted: 1/12/04 at 3:54pm
I had a similar experience when I was in high school to spend one night in NYC and see Les Miserables. The experience changed my life forever. You should definitely go! It won't be long before you're back again.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: Speechless...#7
Posted: 1/12/04 at 4:06pm
Trust me, I know RENT is a great show...I just saw it Saturday for the second time.
CCM '10!
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: Speechless...#8
Posted: 1/12/04 at 4:54pm
You should experience the city. And, I know exactly how you feel about wanting to live in NYC regardless of having been here ever--if you want to be a Broadway, off-Broadway actor, it's what you do. Plus, I have yet to meet an actor who doesn't fall in love with the city when they come here.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Speechless...#9
Posted: 1/12/04 at 4:57pm
LIGHTING DESIGNER
CCM '10!
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Speechless...#10
Posted: 1/12/04 at 4:57pm
go!!!!
New York is one of the most amazing places. Just look at my message board signature... that says it all. And RENT is phenomenal. Definitely go and experience the city. The opportunities in New York are endless.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
sorry forgot--let me rephrase by saying that anyone who wants to work on Broadway/Off Broadway, etc. =)
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Speechless...
CCM '10!
StraightToHeaven
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
As for not knowing people, I bet alot of the kids going on this trip are passionate about theatre like yourself and I'm sure you can find lots to talk about and meet some knew people. I'm going on a theatre trip to London in the spring where I'm not going to know anyone but I'm being optimistic about it because alot of the kids I'm going with obviously love theatre. Also, you said you just saw Rent with the touring cast (touring cast--correct?) so maybe it will be cool to see a totally different cast and you can compare and contrast different interpretations.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ya...I told my mom I am going...I might not get the chance again until I am out of high school.
CCM '10!
redmustang
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
How old are you, BwayTheatre....11??
ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It loses its magic when you actually live here. But it's still a great place to be... many opportunities... still not the same as those days when you visit as a child with those big stars in your eyes, hoping to one day reside in the city that never sleeps. Ah, well... we all have to grow up at some point, right? Sometimes I still glance up at night and gaze at the buildings and think about how I used to daydream about living here. But the moment goes just about as fast as it came. LOL.

I'm not jaded -- like I said, it's still a great place to be... it just loses something when you actually live here.
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's very exciting for you. Go and have a rockin' time. Don't forget to take as many pics/vids that you can. What cool parents you have. Good for you.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh for cryin' out loud. Of course go. Next time you might have to pay for it out of your own pocket. Maybe you can get permission to skip RENT since you have already seen it and get a ticket for something else? I am sure one of the adults that are going would rather see Wicked or Taboo or Ave. Q. It's worth asking. Why only one show in three days? When is the trip?
PEACE.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am 15. I will be 16 when I go.
CCM '10!
jo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Go and enjoy New York's bright lights re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Speechless...

I came from far away ( actually to study in Massachusetts)- and visited NYC for the first time before I went to my school - came back to NYC to work there afterwards - came back on business a few times later on - and now enjoy returning to this city for pleasure -especially for the attractions of the Great White Way!

Have a great time!

Jo