Page: 1

My New York vacation

Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My New York vacation#1
Posted: 7/7/08 at 7:54am
I'm writing this from my hotel room. Today I go back to Massachusetts but I just had one of the most amazing New York weekends ever.

Saturday night, I saw Gypsy. And how nervous was I that La LuPone would be a no show? The answer to that is VERY! Thankfully the only person out was Marilyn Caskey. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she's amazing but she ain't playin' Mama Rose.

First of all, the cast was absolutely amazing. Patti is a freaking force of nature. Rose's Turn took my breath away. And Boyd and Laura...somebody pick me up off the floor.

Tony Yazbeck has quite a career in front of him as does Leigh Ann Larkin. And how adorable are Sami Gayle and Emma Rowley?

My one quibble: It really annoyed me how they kept talking to an invisible conductor when the man is upstage with the rest of the orchestra.

I didn't stage door though. It was pretty late and the crowds were insane.

Yesterday, I saw In The Heights. Seth Stewart and Krysta Rodriguez were out that day.

Not a weak link in that cast. An amazing score. I'm sorry, I'm no good at going into specifics. At least not THIS early in the morning. My history of theatre professor gave us this paper we would use when we had to write papers on shows we saw. If I had it with me, I would go into specifics. Perhaps I will. Hmmm.

Anyway, I got a lot of pictures of the cast at the stage door and so did my dad. I'll upload them.
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
jaso937
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: My New York vacation#2
Posted: 7/7/08 at 9:22am
I'm so Glad you enjoyed yourself! I'm planning a trip there in August to see Gypsy and Passing Strange and possibly In the Heights if i can't get rent tickets. hopefully ill have as great a time as you!
jordangirl Profile Photojordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My New York vacation#2
Posted: 7/7/08 at 9:56am
Glad you had a great time. I was at Gypsy Saturday night too. I'm consistently more impressed with Laura, Sami Gayle, and Boyd than anyone else. (Yes, even Miss Thing ~ who was ever so slightly off pitch on some "money notes" on Saturday sadly. :P I think my parents and sister are probably the only people in the world who haven't seen it yet who couldn't care less if she's in. I see the show in spite of her. Just don't get the big deal.)

LOVE ITH though. It's definitely on a repeat viewing list for me.
Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
broadwayfan7 Profile Photobroadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My New York vacation#3
Posted: 7/7/08 at 10:36am
So nice to hear you had a fun weekend. I look forward to your pictures!
"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My New York vacation#4
Posted: 7/7/08 at 5:06pm
Yeah, and another thing, my parents and I walked past Jackie Mason on the street.
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My New York vacation#5
Posted: 7/7/08 at 5:39pm
Ok, could someone help me out on how to upload pics onto this thing?

Updated On: 7/7/08 at 05:39 PM
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My New York vacation#6
Posted: 7/7/08 at 6:46pm
Ok, could someone help me out on how to upload pics onto this thing?
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/7/08 at 6:53pm
Updated On: 5/3/09 at 06:53 PM
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My New York vacation#8
Posted: 7/7/08 at 10:13pm
Krysta Rodriguez - she was in Spring Awakening right? Wow, two Tony award winning shows in a row.
dramamama611 Profile Photodramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My New York vacation#9
Posted: 7/7/08 at 10:18pm
Well, Krysta did do A Chorus Line in between. But yeah, pretty cool to be involved in the back to back winners of Best Musical.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
little_sally Profile Photolittle_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My New York vacation#10
Posted: 7/7/08 at 11:17pm
And she just finished up a show for the Summer Play Festival. It's so great that she's been constantly working for the past three years or so.
A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: My New York vacation#11
Posted: 7/8/08 at 9:42pm
That girl's going places.

One thing about In The Heights: I think Carlos Gomez was having some vocal difficulties because his voice cracked during Inutil. Other than that, he turned in a stellar performance along with the rest of the cast.