Page: 1

HAPPY 4TH! We (PS) have a 3 pm show today!!

thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WhizzerMarvin Profile PhotoWhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just rushed and got front row!
Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
verynewyorkcurious Profile Photoverynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tiny, I apologize for not saying goodbye. My friend was already waiting for me at 42nd street.

The crowd grew comfortable as the show went on. The audience didn't know what they were in for at the beginning so it was a little quiet. They were cheering and screaming at the end of Act 1.

Wow. Colman Domingo completely blew me away today. Franklin during Arlington Hill was perfection. Not only Colman though, but the regulars have really perfected their roles, noticeably Rebecca Naomi Jones. Truly great performers + band at the Belasco.

I love love love the added part to Arlington Hill. Such a shame that we won't have a recording of that. Amazing.

Stew looked like he was lacking energy when he came out, but I don't think he's ever sounded as good as he did today.

I wish Keys was longer today. I liked that they changed it up, although no matter what they do to it, it will always sound great (except shortening it). The stage just exuded energy during Keys. I've always said before that the show could be louder, but today Keys was too loud.

Daniel Breaker was out today. His understudy, Lawrence Stallings, was decent.

The show is truly amazing. I love this show more now than I did before. I could only stay for Act 1 today, but this isn't the last time I'm gonna be seeing PS.
Updated On: 7/4/08 at 09:58 PM
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No prob, VERY NY! I actually was sitting right across the aisle from you during Act I. Did you see that couple, a couple of rows ahead and to the left?? Wow! My fave audience members so far. Groovin and shoutin' in complete heavy rock unison during Keys/Amsterdam! Met them afterwards. (He was a friend of Lawrence, the understudy)

Stew always *seems* like he lacks energy at the very beginning, but trust me, it's like that ALL the time, and it's his L.A. VIBE thing. People forget that he is NOT a neurotic, high strung NYer! He is extemporaneous in his greeting always! Throws the audience into a tizzy. (on purpose, of course).

I agree, the perfs were great today... (except)a bit of a mess during one of the Berlin scenes (w.Daniel's understudy) because of those damn Klieg light things that he has to "handle". But only I noticed.

Also chatted with a coupla Colman's friends today also. Really nice...no wonder he was on fire!

I think the Spike Lee Film is really going to accentuate the book/lyrics in a very intimate and moving way. Especially Arlington Hill, and the Stew/Mom scenes in Act 2.

Anyway, nice seeing you (again), and liked your restaurant suggestions on some other thread on the OT Board. I'm a cooking freak, and LOVE any GOOD Asian, Malayasian, Indonesian, Phiipino, Vietnamese Restaurants. Check out my fave (el cheapo/good, foodie website:http://www.cheapassfood.com)
Updated On: 7/4/08 at 10:22 PM
Heybeenfood Profile PhotoHeybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Anyone know when Daniel will be back? I wanna go back this week, and I don't want to miss him.
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tiny, I talked to that couple while they were at the box office. The woman was super excited about her friend going on. They were great.
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'll let you know tomorrow night.
colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wish I had seen this earlier, I was at the matinee today. It would have been nice to meet some of you guys.
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How did you like it?
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
hi Colleen!
colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I left feeling pretty neutral. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I got what the show was trying to do, but I felt like it was a bit too meandering at times.

I am glad that it is out there, it definitely fills a theatrical void and attracts an audience that may not otherwise go out and see a Broadway show.

But the cast was phenomenal, most of the music was great, my only complaints really would be with the book.
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
gregj63
Stand-by
Stand-by
Give the show some time in your mind. Listen to the cast album.

The first time I saw it I enjoyed it, but a few days later realized how much I really liked it and was thinking about it, and after another viewing or two I became the somewhat fanatical fan that I am.

This show grows on you.
WhizzerMarvin Profile PhotoWhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was there yesterday too, and I couldn't agree more about the entire cast having honed their performances. I wanted about another ten minutes of Coleman's "What's inside is just a lie." He was just brillant today.

De'adre Aziza was cracking me up all over the place. Her Edwina and Sudabey characters are just so spot on.

Rebecca Naomi Jones has added so many layers to Desi since the last time I saw the show. The vulnerability that she brought to the role was quite touching.

I was kind of disappointed that Daniel wasn't in, but Lawrence Stallings was pretty good. I don't know if he's had much opportunity to go on, and he did have pretty big shoes to fill. Daniel has a way of holding my complete attention, so this time I was able to pay more attention to the rest of the cast, and quite happy for it.
Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
HeybeenF...Breaker is out for the weekend. Will be back in on Tuesday.
StateOfJade Profile PhotoStateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was at the box office during the show and overheard an eensy bit of Lawrence singing...didn't sound bad to mine ears :). I'm also very curious to see Kelly McCreary go on.
"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did you buy tix, Jade? Yeah, Lawrence has an excellent voice (especially the high register) and fabulous dance skills.
StateOfJade Profile PhotoStateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nah, I decided against it and am going this week instead.

In other news, the release party is SOLD OUT! I'm glad I bought my tix when I did!
"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1