Page: 1

Today's Birthdays 7/2

do_re_milla Profile Photodo_re_milla Profile Photo
do_re_milla
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Today's Birthdays 7/2#1
Posted: 7/2/08 at 11:58am
Hermann Hesse 7/2/1877 German novelist and poet; awarded Nobel Prize for Literature (1946); Steppenwolf

Tyrone Guthrie 07/02/1900 - May 15, 1971 producer, writer, director - The Matchmaker; Tamburlaine The great (Anthony Quayle, Coleen Dewhurst, William Shatner); The Tenth Man (Gene Saks, Jack Gilford)

Alan Webb 07/02/1906 - Jun 22, 1982 performer - orig The Night of the Iguana; UTBU (It's "Unhealthy To Be Unpleasant") [w/Margaret Hamilton, Tony Randal, Doris Rich & Thelma Ritter] PLEASE MUSICALIZE THIS PLAY!; I Never Sang for My Father (Lillian Gish, Hal Holbrook, Teresa Wright)

Danny Scholl 07/02/1921 - 6/21/1983 performer - Texas, L'il Darlin'; Call Me Mister

Medgar Evers 7/2/1925 - 6/12/1963 American civil-rights activist; assassinated in 1963, source material

Joseph Harris 07/02/1927 producer, gen. mgr; Father of Jeremiah J. Harris – M. Butterfly; 1987 Pygmalion (Peter O'Toole, Amanda Plummer); origs Dancing at Lughnasa; Glengarry Glen Ross; On the Twentieth Century; Chicago; Mame; The Apple Tree; Sweet Charity; The Miracle Worker; Silk Stockings; All Good Americans (Jimmy Stewart)

Brock Peters 07/02/1927 - 8/23/05 performer; Sang background vocals on Harry Belafonte's hits "Banana Boat (Day-O)" and "Mama Look At Bubu"; He provided the singing voice for the song "Whizzin' Away Along De Track" in Carmen Jones (1959), performed on screen by Roy Glenn; Read the eulogy at the funeral of Gregory Peck, on June 16, 2003. Peters played Tom Robinson in To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - the black man accused of raping a white girl that Atticus Finch (Peck's character) defended in court. – Mister Johnson (Robert Earl Jones [James's pop], Earle Hyman); The Body Beautiful; Kwamina; 1972 Lost in the Stars (Damon Evans]; film's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD; Carmen Jones; The L-Shaped Room; Star Trek: Deep Space Nine; Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country; Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home; Murder, She Wrote; Lost in the Stars; Soylent Green; Major Dundee; Porgy and Bess

Peter Conlow 07/02/1929 performer, choreographer - NEW FACES OF 1956 (w/Inga Swensen, Jane Connell, John Reardon); Copper & Brass (Nancy Walker); Take Me Along

Kenneth McMillan 07/02/1932 - Jan 8, 1989 performer – Streamers; American Buffalo

Michael Glenn-Smith 07/02/1945 performer, composer, lyricist; in his "100 Songs That Deserve to Be All-Time Show Favorites," Peter Filichia wrote of Glenn-Smith's performance of "Orphan in the Storm" (Celebration): "Michael Glenn Smith shone when delivering this offbeat Jones and Schmidt entry." - Celebration (Susan Watson); Fantastiks [replacement many times]; Philemon (Dick Latessa, Leila Martin); Vaya Con Dios, Las Vegas

Ron Silver 07/02/1946 performer; President of Actors' Equity Association (1991-2000) - Hurlyburly; Social Security; Speed the Plough; tv's & film's The West Wing; Rhoda; Silkwood; Reversal of Fortune; Veronica's Closet; Ali

Kathryn Erbe 07/02/1966 performer; Wife of Terry Kinney - The Grapes Of Wrath; The Speed of Darkness; 1995 A Month in the Country (Helen Mirren)

Jarrod Emick 07/02/1969 performer - Damn Yankees; Boy From Oz; Ring of Fire

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KREBSIE - I MISS YOU! Have a wonderful time in Italia.

SHOWS THAT OPENED ON JULY 02:

1929 Show Girl - Ruby Keeler starred in Flo Ziegfeld’s production of Show Girl which opened in New York City. Critics liked the show.

1968 Tartuffe at the Vivian Beaumont - perf'd in French! How was it?

1985 Singin' in the Rain with Don Correia; Mary D'Arcy, Austin Colyer, Richard Fancy, Faye Grant, Peter (Slutsker) Marx and Jacque Dean

ON THIS DAY:

1881 President James A. Garfield was shot by Charles J. Guiteau at the Washington railroad station; Garfield died that September.

1937 aviator Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared over the Pacific Ocean while attempting to make the first round-the-world flight at the equator. Their remains have yet to be found.

1947 An object crashed near Roswell, N.M. The Army Air Force later said it was a weather balloon, but eyewitness accounts gave rise to speculation it might have been an alien spacecraft.

1961 Author Ernest Hemingway shot himself to death at his home in Ketchum, Idaho

1963 - The Importance of Being Earnest, starring Mia Farrow, opened. Farrow got good reviews from the critics and a new show biz career was underway.

1987 Michael Bennett performer, director, choreographer, dies, at 45, from complications caused by AIDS. Bennett made his Broadway debut as a dancer at 18 in Subways are for Sleeping, also worked on Follies (choreographed and co-directed with Harold Prince), A Chorus Line, and Dreamgirls.

1997 Actor James Stewart died at age 89. 1 of my all time fav actors. Have been searching for man like him for years! Still haven't found 1. Always loved seeing him read his little poems on The Johnny Carson Show. stage's & film's Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, Harvey [film & stage]; Philadelphia Story; Divided By Three (Judith Anderson)

(sources, IBDB, IMDB, NYT On This Day, playbill.com & 440.com’s Those Were The Days)

Milla
TotallyEffed Profile PhotoTotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Today's Birthdays 7/2#2
Posted: 7/2/08 at 1:10pm
It's my birthday. re: Today's Birthdays 7/2