Page: 1

NY Times Extensive Article on Cast Albums of Current Shows

Gypsy9 Profile PhotoGypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In today's on-line NY Times there is an extensive article on the Original Broadway Cast Albums of A CATERED AFFAIR, IN THE HEIGHTS, and PASSING STRANGE. Also highlighted are details of the SOUTH PACIFIC and GYPSY revival cast albums. There are several interactive posts, with musical highlights from certain shows from this season.

I was taken aback by the mentioning that the cast album of the revival of GYPSY will have new orchestrations by Jonathan Tunick. WHY??? The original orchestrations by Sid Ramin and Robert Ginzler have been used for the current production and are definitive IMO. Also, they are adding songs cut from the OBC of GYPSY, and that sounds interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/27/theater/27cast.html
"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 6/27/08 at 09:34 AM
Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You misinterpreted the article - the line is

"It will include several never-before-recorded songs that were cut from the original production, with new orchestrations by Jonathan Tunick..."

...meaning that the new songs will be orchestrated by Tunick.

Unfortunately, the HUGE glaring error in Holden's piece is his mention that "Passing Strange" won the Tony for best original score.
jrblover Profile Photojrblover Profile Photo
jrblover
Swing
Swing
And it also seems like he purposely discredits a lot of the In the Heights score to explain why Passing Strange "won."
Ed_Mottershead
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And, why may I ask, isn't Xanadu mentioned? I've have loads of fun with the recording and fail to see why it wasn't included. Unless he was limiting his discussion to shows that have opened in the latter part of the season, but that still doesn't wash.
BroadwayEd