Page: 1

Elaine Stritch Doesn't Know Where Her Tony Is and Doesn't Care

nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Great interview. The part about the Tonys is fascinating.
Stritch Interview
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks, Elaine, for my new signature.

She's one tough cookie.

Interesting what she says about Tina Fey.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Ryan4
Stand-by
Stand-by
Love her as I do in pretty much everything she does, she's gotta get over the Tony thing. She sounds like a spoiled brat. She wasn't getting a lifetime achievement Tony - there were other people who needed to make speeches that night too. For someone who's apparently got so much humor about life, she seems to hold a lot of grudges.
Patash Profile PhotoPatash Profile Photo
Patash
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Amen to that Ryan. It was about a lot of performers and other artists -- it was not Elaine Stritch Night. As an actress she should know that even if she is the star of a show it doesn't give her the right to improvise and take over a production on her own. What part of the speech time limit did she think specifically didn't apply to her because she was the most special person of the night?
And the comment about Radio City Music Hall -- what legitimate theatre is she suggesting would offer the opportunity of seeing the awards to so many people?
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The funny part is, Elaine Stritch technically didn't even win a Tony.

The award for Best Special Theatrical Event goes to the producers of the show.

They let Elaine make the acceptance speech, but technically she is not a Tony Award winner.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BINGO. I never understand the "Everyone else get 45 seconds, I get to talk as long as I want" philosophy of some winners. She wouldn't have been cut off if she'd gotten up and said her piece in the allotted time like everyone else.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Regarding her Tony Acceptance Speech, she acts like she's the only one that was ever cut off. Remember Harvey Fierstein getting cut off by the orchestra a few years ago ("That's a scary orchestra")? Remember Halle Berry at the Oscars: "You can't rush me 'cause I'm the first black woman..."

The fact is that the Tony Awards never score big ratings for the networks and as a result they are always pressured to keep it within the time limit. Stritch doesn't care to remember during the 90s when the show was 2 hours and being rushed so that the 11:00 news could start on time. (The year Smokey Joe's Cafe performed, they cut their material to save time).

Perhaps the reason Stritch never got a Tony despite top-notch performances was that everyone was tired of her being such a crank.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Ed_Mottershead
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Are you thinking of Ain't Nothing But the Blues back in 1999?
As I recall, a number from Smokey Joe's Cafe opened the 1995 show when it was running against Sunset Boulevard. Their opening number resulted in immediate increased ticket sales and contributed to the show's longevity, which ended up being much longer than SB's.
BroadwayEd
Updated On: 6/23/08 at 12:13 PM
heathurrr
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
AHAHA. I LOVE her.
was sad to hear she doesn't expect to come back to 30 Rock, though.
"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)
sondheimfan2 Profile Photosondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Love her (which I do) or hate her. The theater community won't see the likes of her again for quite some time.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"As I recall, a number from Smokey Joe's Cafe opened the 1995 show when it was running against Sunset Boulevard."

Yes, the men opened the show with "On Broadway", but I thought later on the whole cast was supposed to perform because "On Broadway" didn't include any of the women. Maybe I'm mistaken.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
clintonct
Swing
Swing
I posted this on talkin'................

Just a heads up, I am a Stritchie fan, and not affiliated with the Hartford Stage..... so ..... .....................

Come on Connecticut. Checking out the Hartford Stage website, and there are still good seats left for this weekend. Ms. Stritch deserves a SELL-OUT!

Hartford Stage

Page: 1