From Page to Screen to Stage: MARY POPPINS

Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
folkyboy Profile Photofolkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this was actually an interesting read. thanks for posting it! do they cover this stuff in the book?
Reginald Tresilian Profile PhotoReginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Very interesting, thanks.

I actually read the books as a child before I ever saw the Disney film. I loved both, but they were so very, very different. The Mary in the books is nothing like Julie Andrews--she's vain, sarcastic, quick to (savage) anger . . . And yet fascinating and fun. The children never quite lose their fear of her--or, at any rate, their fear of displeaing her. And yet they love her, and so does the reader. It shouldn't work, but it does; possibly because it captures so well children's bafflement with the adults in their world.

I dashed to London to see the original production, and while I enjoyed it, I have to confess that I felt it tried unsuccessfully to straddle the worlds of the books and the film. Not quite dark enough, not quite sunny enough, I found it just puzzling.

I haven't seen the Bway production. I understand some changes were made, giving it a more consistent tone.

Can anyone who has seen both enlighten us?
Not Barker, Todd. Profile PhotoNot Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Very nice read, really clarified that show for me. It's really sad, I think there's a good show in there, but the book is hopelessly muddled between the movie and the book.
PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-