Page: 1

Cry-Baby (Chester Gregory's final performance tomorrow)

bwayguy22089
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Hey. I'm not sure who out there is a huge fan, but just letting people know that tomorrow at 8 is Chester Gregory's final performance in Cry-Baby Cry-Baby (Chester Gregory's final performance tomorrow)
SgtDonut Profile PhotoSgtDonut Profile Photo
SgtDonut
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Who does he play?
The Best Thing Right Now: Hair Revival!
bwayguy22089
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
He plays Dupree.
gottadance2 Profile Photogottadance2 Profile Photo
gottadance2
Understudy
Understudy
Will he be performing "A Little Upset" on the Tonys? Has that happened before where a performer who is no longer in a show has come back to perform? I know it's only the next day but he will have left the show Saturday according to your post.
broadwayjim42
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Semi-huge fan and I wish him the best in "Shrek."

My daughter and I have very fond memories of him...he participated in a dance workshop/Q & A session with other "Hairspray" cast members for my daughter's summer theatre trip with school a few years back. As Madeline Kahn once said...what a nice guy.
bwayguy22089
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I believe he will be at the Tony Awards
SgtDonut Profile PhotoSgtDonut Profile Photo
SgtDonut
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Oh hell no. I bet you haven't seen Cry-Baby. Have you?
The Best Thing Right Now: Hair Revival!
pli1018
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Wow I can't believe he's leaving so early! I mean Sutton is leaving Young Frankenstein in July and isn't Kecia still in Chicago?

If they happen to produce a cast recording, I really hope they include Chester on it, he was great vocally. There was nothing else for him to work with other than that though...
SirNotAppearing Profile PhotoSirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Honestly, cartanega, you can say you don't like a show, but it's douchey to wish that it closes. Like it or not, there's a cast up on stage at the Marquis performing their brains out (well, maybe not James Synder) and a giant crew supporting them. All those people worked really hard to get to where they are and they'd be out of jobs.
mike51079
Swing
Swing
I saw Cry Baby in previews and really hated it, but Chester was one of the bright moments. I also saw him sing at a fund raiser for NYMF and was impressed. I imagine he's moving on to bigger and better things and good for him. I do agree that it's awful to hope for a show to close since people would be out of jobs, and with a Tony nomination looks like this one may be around longer than we all think.
zepka102 Profile Photozepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
pli, I think someone said that Cry Baby was already recorded, so he would be on it.

I am surprised he's leaving so early too. Great talent... I'm sure he'll be better in Shrek though (since he didn't have much to work with presently).
::bust a move::
Noel&Cole
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Wow Cartagena...if a show closing is your dream that not only makes you a terrible person who I hope bad things happen to but how sad your life must be that your dream is for a show to close. You have a dream for lots of actors, crew and musicians to be out of work? Investors to lose their money? Creative staff seeing there hard work dissappear? That's what you dream about? I feel sorry for you.

Updated On: 6/13/08 at 04:38 PM
into_the_woods2 Profile Photointo_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
so cool that he is moving on to play donkey in shrek. sad that he wasn't in crybaby for all that long
"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch
liotte Profile Photoliotte Profile Photo
liotte
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chester has been working on his own album too. He has a release party and concert for it on July 8th, so come check it out!
SirNotAppearing Profile PhotoSirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Donkey was frickin' MADE for Chester.
masb19872
Stand-by
Stand-by
Wow. Who's replacing him? I'm sure he'll be fantastic in Shrek though.
TooDarnHot Profile PhotoTooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've been in love with the this beautiful Hershey candybar ever since he sang his little heart out, as Seaweed in HAIRSPRAY.

amazing.
pli1018
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Nice analogy TooDarnHot, ha ha!
jaystarr Profile Photojaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dwayne Clark will be the new Dupree per playbil:
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/118675.html

Dwayne Clark
re: Cry-Baby (Chester Gregory's final performance tomorrow)