Page: 1

Box office pick up times: ever enforced?

TonyVincent Profile PhotoTonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Box office pick up times: ever enforced?#1
Posted: 6/11/08 at 12:48pm
Lately, a number of the tickets I've ordered through student discounts, TDF, papering services, etc., have required me to pick up my tickets "no later than 30 minutes before the performance" or similar. I've gone out of my way to make sure I adhered to the time restrictions, although it often hasn't seemed necessary when I got to the box office.

Has anyone seen this rule actively enforced? Will they deny giving you tickets if you're not there before the specified time? (Note: I'm not talking about outside pick up locations, just the box office.) I can understand they want you to be early to spread out congestion, keep comped tickets from being too conspicuous, etc. But unless this rule has been enforced on anyone, there are times where it would be much more convenient to show up 15 minutes before than 30 or 45 minutes before as they suggest.
DefyGravity777
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I showed up 30 minutes after curtain for Les Mis(darn traffic...lol)and they still gave me my ticket. Also for Legally Blonde I was there about 5 minutes before curtain and I had no problem. I was stagedooring Wicked that day on Annaleigh Ashford's last day and it took forever for her to come out.
Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!
verynewyorkcurious Profile Photoverynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They won't not give you your ticket. I've done 5 minutes prior to curtain..I've also done 2 minutes, and even had time to pee. It doesn't really matter as long as you're not late, I don't think.
mikem Profile Photomikem Profile Photo
mikem
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was at an Off-Broadway show, and someone whom I believe was papered got to the box office about 22 minutes before showtime, and they told that person that she would have to wait until just before curtain to see whether there were tickets available or not. They made it clear that because she wasn't there 30 minutes beforehand that she was no longer guaranteed a seat and she would only get one if they didn't sell that seat to someone else.

Tickets that have actually been paid for (TDF, Goldstar, etc) might be different.
"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
TonyVincent Profile PhotoTonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good to know. I won't go out of my way next time.

Interesting, mike. Although, if they're papering, 99.9% they're not going to sell out and there will be a seat available for you.
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If you already paid for your ticket, they could care less IF and WHEN you pick-up your tickets. They simply state that 'pick-up 30 minutes prior to curtain' in order to give the box office personnel enought time to have all the 'will call' tickets for that night's performance all sorted out, etc. Unless its a last-minute internet purchase, I sometimes get my ordered tickets a week prior to the performance date (yes, they already have them printed and waiting).
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I once showed up really late to an Off-Broadway show for which I had obtained a ticket through a papering service -- I got there about five minutes before curtain. The box office lady gave me a hard time about it, but I still got my ticket.

The papering services always say pick up between 60 and 30 minutes before curtain, but some of the box offices don't even open up until 30 minutes before (Rattlestick is one, if I recall correctly). So, it really depends on the house.

Also, keep in mind that some of the houses have your name on a list and print off the tickets once you arrive, so you might get better seats by showing up early.
LifeofTheParty2 Profile PhotoLifeofTheParty2 Profile Photo
LifeofTheParty2
Stand-by
Stand-by
if your tickets are paid for, it doesn't matter when you pick up. In some theaters, even once the box office is closed, it is someone's job to stand there with the paid-for tickets throughout the end of the show (I was once that person). In my experience, you can still purchase tickets, if they're available, up until the box office shuts things down. But for some papering services or specific discounts, I have seen people told they have to wait until just before the show after they missed the half hour mark. It really does depend on the house and how badly the show is selling.
StarUsher Profile PhotoStarUsher Profile Photo
StarUsher
Stand-by
Stand-by
Keep in mind things may vary from box office to box office. I worked at the Public and they seemed to follow the rules pretty closely, I worked at the Pearl and they were not as strict with certian things...As several have mentioned, the box offices leniency will often depend on how well the show is selling. They are more inclined to bend the rules if they need to fill seats, not so much if they are sold out or close to.