It's quite good.
The Best Thing Right Now: Hair Revival!
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#3
Posted: 6/13/08 at 4:15pm
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour

General Petraeus liked it thiiiiiiis much.

broadwayrob
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#4
Posted: 6/13/08 at 4:15pm
great show ..

i personally love the John Doyle staging.

However, it's playing in houses that are WAY too big, sometimes 5 times the size it should be, for it to really move you the way it should.
anything you do let it come from you and it will be new.
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#5
Posted: 6/13/08 at 4:18pm
I just decided last night not to see it here in Denver. The Buell is way too big and it is an intimate show. As much as I want to see it again, I am passing on it.
Just give the world Love.
ragg_ballad
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#6
Posted: 6/13/08 at 4:41pm
i totally agree with what people have been saying. The new staging is brilliant in my opinion, and love all the actors and their instruments However, the theatres are HUGE. way too big for this show.

For example, I saw the tour in Chicago's Cadillac Palace Theatre, which seats about 2500. The stage was very wide and deep. The actual platform[wooden planks] ended up being centered on the stage and pushed back, leaving big gaps to the side and front of the actual "stage." This, plus the unnecessary orchestra pit, led to a big distance from the actual performers and the first row of the audience. I sat at the very back of the theater, and although I could see fine, you really do feel a sort of emptiness because of the size of the theatre vs. the size of the performance area.

But I really would recommend you see this production before it goes non-Equity. The current cast is great, and you should try to get as close to the stage as possible. There's no big scenery, so you won't be straining your neck or anything.
frogs_fan85 Profile Photofrogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#7
Posted: 6/13/08 at 7:30pm
I saw the tour in Boston on Halloween and I'm going again next weekend to Denver (not specifically for the tour, it's an added bonus to pre-existing trip). The Colonial in Boston wasn't that big and I was sitting fairly close so the show didn't get swallowed, at least from my perspective. I didn't get to see David Hess as Sweeney, so I'm looking forward to his interpretation, although I'm a bit wary based on what I've read here.
jaystarr Profile Photojaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#8
Posted: 6/13/08 at 7:42pm
Its a good show~love it.. yup and I saw it (same time) with frog_fans here in Boston!
They have most of the same cast from Broadway (like 4-5) of course minus Miss Patty. I dont know if they change the cast now. I saw it last year.

GO SEE IT!

J*

Updated On: 6/13/08 at 07:42 PM
frogs_fan85 Profile Photofrogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#9
Posted: 6/13/08 at 7:54pm
John Arbo left the tour and is currently in the pit at A Catered Affair. He was replaced by Stephen McIntyre, who was an understudy in the Broadway production. Understudy Jessica Wright has been replaced by Megan Loomis. Holdovers from the Broadway cast are Lauren Molina, Ben Magnuson, and Diana DiMarzio... and Judy Kaye, if you count her week long stint in June of 2006. David Hess, who plays Sweeney on tour, was also an understudy with the Broadway company.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#10
Posted: 6/13/08 at 8:13pm
I thought it was horrible. As someone who's seen the show a hlf dozen times in various incarnations I was completely and utterly baffle as to what was taking place. I can't imagine what someone seeing the show for the first time would make of it.

There was not one single effective moment- the blood pouring, the Toby unwrapping, the Coffin riding, the way no one looked at each other. It was bitterly disappointing.

Judy Kaye did a good job. I felt ashamed when she had to haul out that tuba for no reason whatsoever.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
SgtDonut Profile PhotoSgtDonut Profile Photo
SgtDonut
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#11
Posted: 6/13/08 at 8:36pm
It was my first time seeing Sweeney Todd and I thought it was fantastic. I saw it at the Cadillac Palace in Chicago.
The Best Thing Right Now: Hair Revival!
into_the_woods2 Profile Photointo_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#12
Posted: 6/13/08 at 9:22pm
it's disappointing to hear such negative reviews on what could be such a fabulous show...;-(
"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch
BDrischBDemented
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#13
Posted: 6/13/08 at 10:37pm
My opinion? Ben Eakeley is a SEXY beadle.

My other opinion? I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. I think this is more to do with my thoughts on the direction of the show as opposed to the actors or anything. "God That's Good" was particularly bizarre.
"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"
scaryclowns223 Profile Photoscaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#14
Posted: 6/13/08 at 10:45pm
I saw it in a HUGE theatre (Carnival Center in Miami, 2500 seats), but I had good seats, and I thought it was excellent. I didn't love David Hess, but I thought the rest of the cast was great and thought the direction (for the most part) was superb.

Go see this show, it is not to be missed.
lakezurich Profile Photolakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#15
Posted: 6/13/08 at 10:51pm
I saw the show at the Cadillac Palace, and although the set was swallowed up by the stage I thought the show was absolutely fantastic.
Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical
My.Small.Apricot
Understudy
Understudy
re: General Opinion On Sweeney Tour#17
Posted: 6/14/08 at 9:20pm
I saw it in Atlanta at the Fox Theatre. I liked it, but the venue with it's massive 4,000 seats ruined it for me. It should've played in a smaller theatre. Oh, and be prepared to be disappointed by David Hess as Sweeney! I did not enjoy his performance...