Page: 1

Another Tony Debate: Morton or Dunagan

Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Another Tony Debate: Morton or Dunagan#1
Posted: 6/5/08 at 9:45am
For me, it's Morton all the way. Without her, this show would have very little heart. Dunagan is great but when I saw it (a couple of days ago) she seemed a little too aware of where the laugh lines were, how to work the audience, actor-y little tics here and there. I mean, she was great but Morton blew me away...I prefer it when the "acting" is invisible.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Morton gave the dramatic performance of the season.
Smaxie Profile PhotoSmaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nevertheless, it will go to Dunagan. The voters like acting they can see. (Nothing against Morton, who is excellent).
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
frogs_fan85 Profile Photofrogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dunagan's role is much flashier, but Morton's role is more subtle, developed and nuanced, as is her performance.

EDIT- I'm seeing the show again tomorrow, so who knows, maybe my opinion will change with a second viewing. It has been over seven months seen I've seen the show, so it'll be good to get a fresher impression.
Updated On: 6/5/08 at 10:24 AM
broadwayjim42
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When I saw it in January, I thought it was the other way around. I hope Dunagan wins.
adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I want Morton to win, but it looks like it's going to be Deana Dunagan. I won't be too disappointed, since both women were excellent.
Amneris Profile PhotoAmneris Profile Photo
Amneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
they are both outstanding but, I loved Amy Morton...plus if she's staying with the show..just saying :) my vote would go to Amy.
CurtainPullDowner Profile PhotoCurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Morton.
verynewyorkcurious Profile Photoverynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'll be happy with either, but will be slightly happier if it goes to Deanna Dunagan, who I thought was flawless.

I think it's going to Amy Morton.
LadyRosecoe
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I think it will go to Deanna Dunagan, but Amy Morton was the true shocker for me. I went in excited to see Dunagan, but I left raving about Morton. I did not expect her to command the stage in such natural ways that would steal my attention away from Violet.
musikman Profile Photomusikman Profile Photo
musikman
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Here's hoping for a tie because they were both outstanding!
-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."
antiandrewx Profile Photoantiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Both are deserving, but I'm rooting for Ms. Morton.
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Loved them both also, but I want Morton to win. Could we possibly be looking at a tie? It has happened. Very few times though.
Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 6/5/08 at 02:42 PM
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile PhotoWiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dunagan will win...and rightfully so.
Current Avatar: Cynthia Erivo, bringing down the house in The Color Purple.
Theatreboy49 Profile PhotoTheatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think its going to go to Dunagan partly cuz she won the Deskie for it. Both women are superb from what I hear and Im happy for whichever one wins.
<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 07.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado
cubanito2 Profile Photocubanito2 Profile Photo
cubanito2
Swing
Swing
Is it possible that Morton and Dunagan will split their votes and leave room for someone else to sneak in?
frogs_fan85 Profile Photofrogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That could happen and Eve Best might end up winning because of it.
A Grey Spring Profile PhotoA Grey Spring Profile Photo
A Grey Spring
Stand-by
Stand-by
I love both, but my favorite is Morton, I've never seen anyone command a stage that well before. Dunagan will most likely win the Tony, which is highly deserved. She is fantastic and deserves all the kudos she has recieved thus far.
BwayLover Profile PhotoBwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think DD will win, but my vote and my heart belong to Amy Morton. She absolutely BLEW ME AWAY, I had to go back and see it again just to see her performance. Dunagan(who I also admired) will probably win because her role is, like it's been said, flashier. I'm okay with that though, because I'd much rather see her win than the two of them splitting the vote.
"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "
Updated On: 6/5/08 at 04:13 PM
obsessedjb Profile Photoobsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My heart wants Morton to win but my head says Dunagan will win. Either way I will be happy.
auggie Profile Photoauggie Profile Photo
auggie
Understudy
Understudy
Morton

Most believable piece of acting I have seen in a long time.
donna_darko_23 Profile Photodonna_darko_23 Profile Photo
donna_darko_23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Another Tony Debate: Morton or Dunagan#21
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:00pm
Everyone thinks that Deanna will win. Maybe this will be the "upset" category and Amy will win. Granted, I also agree that Amy was amazing, and would be thrilled if she won. But, everyone is expecting Deanna...I think Amy might pull the win.