Page: 1

anyone know anything about "waves" (national theater of great britain)?

whatever2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
it's coming to lincoln center's great performers series next season (though, oddly, it will be at the duke on 42nd street and not at lincoln center).

http://www.lincolncenter.org/show_events_list.asp?eventcode=17090

the website doesn't say much ... wondering if anyone's familiar with this production? single tickets go on sale this week.
"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)
helloagain
Understudy
Understudy
Singlehandedly the most interesting, fascinating and enthralling pieces of theatre I have seen! it was done by quite a prolific director in england called Katie Mitchell, and is preformed with lights, props, and cameras. I can hardly do it justice by explaining it. It is Virgina Wolfe's The Waves, which is told through six interior monologues and is completely narrative, the book is read while people preform with sound effects cameras and props. I would watch this to get an idea of what it is like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDTPw6OMJy8

but I can honestly say that it is not theatre but a completely new art form she has created and I would HIGHLY recommend that everyone sees this production, not to be missed. I know I don't post often here but I have been a lurker for quite a while and I feel strongly about this production!

Updated On: 5/26/08 at 01:12 PM
joshy Profile Photojoshy Profile Photo
joshy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I found this production fascinating and moving, but it is pretty esoteric and a lot of people will find it boring or pointless. There were quite a few walkouts in the interval when I saw it. But it's so unique, anyone who is interested in how directors can push the boundaries of theatre should see it. Knowing Woolf's work, obviously The Waves especially, helps too as you understand more the effect all the technical trickery is trying to create.