How did Tammy Blanchard's Louise compare to Laura Benanti's

esparza 333
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I know another thread about Laura but i want to know.
Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.
Updated On: 4/14/08 at 02:36 PM
bjh2114 Profile Photobjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Elphaba3 Profile PhotoElphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can't compare them because I haven't seen Laura, but I saw Tammy three times and loved her!
givesmevoice Profile Photogivesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I liked Tammy, but I don't think she was nearly as strong as Laura is in the role. Laura draws attention, which is really hard to do when you're sharing a stage with someone like Patti. PLUS Laura made you remember why "Little Lamb" was written in the first place. and why the show is called Gypsy.
When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Laura's is tougher, very much "like mother, like daughter" as the script says. I felt her turning into Rose right there.

This is to take nothing from Tammy. Her performance and understanding of the character was strong and valid.

However I am beginning to agree with the critics who are saying Laura's Louise is the definitive one to date.

This is the 7th Gypsy I have seen. Plus the two filmed versions.
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
sondhead
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I liked Tammy lots, but I seem to be in the minority here. I also love Laura.

The thing I love about Tammy is she had a wonderful innocent vulnerability and seemed like.. retro.. out of another time. She also made a wonderful teenage Judy Garland because of this quality, by the way.

I'd say to compare them.. they're different, but both wonderful.
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ed_Mottershead
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've seen them all (Merman on) and Benanti is the best, by far. No argument. She now owns the role.
BroadwayEd
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I LOVED Tammy's performance, but Laura's is so brilliant that Tammy's pales in comparison.
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
She and Bernie looked alike, which is always a plus.

Bernie was the only reason to see the revival. And Julie Halston.
Smaxie Profile PhotoSmaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And the lamb.
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
flaemmchen Profile Photoflaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I haven't seen Laura yet, but the main issue I had with Tammy Blanchard's performance was that there was no transformation from the girl in the background to the magnetic stripper. I thought she was a wonderful Judy Garland, and I was horribly disappointed with her Gypsy.
"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth
Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And the lamb.

Otherwise, it was a completely underwhelming production. It's no wonder why Laurents hated it. And the minimalist staging was a precursor to the Doyle method.
Elphaba3 Profile PhotoElphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"the main issue I had with Tammy Blanchard's performance was that there was no transformation from the girl in the background to the magnetic stripper."

The main reason I loved her was because her transformation was brilliant. Tammy's performance was very subtle. I guess some people don't appreciate subtlety. From what I have seen of Laura, she overacts too much for me.
sanda Profile Photosanda Profile Photo
sanda
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tammy is great.

Laura's Gypsy is brilliant. But her take on Louise is a little old.

I like them both.
givesmevoice Profile Photogivesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
aw, I forgot all about Tammy's little bob. although now I remember wondering how her hair grew so quickly.
When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
antiandrewx Profile Photoantiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I didn't think Tammy did enough in the role. She never reacted to anything that was going on around her. Compare her during Everything's Coming Up Roses to Laura during Everythings Coming Up Roses and you can definitely see who the better Louise is.
bwaylvsong
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought they were both wonderful, and had very different interpretations of the role. Vocally, I preferred Laura, though.
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poorly. Although I know I'm in the minority in not liking Tammy's performance. very much.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
LeaGirl Profile PhotoLeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I didn't care for Tammy either, which was a let down because I was OBSESSED with her in that Judy Garland movie - and she's just GORGEOUS. Just a classically pretty girl all around. Also while we are on that supporting cast, I also didn't like John Dosset. They both lacked motivation - they were onstage doing what they were supposed to be doing but it wasn't always obvious why.

I think I'm in the minority for really enjoying Bernadette and enjoying Patti as well...ha.
Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight
CurtainPullDowner Profile PhotoCurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought Tammy was the best so far, next for me was Zan Charise,
I agree Benanti reads too old and she is way too beautiful and not shapely enough to be a stripper.
Her acting is ok up till the last scene where she starts screaming out of nowhere.
And Natale Wood comes in third.
wickedfan Profile Photowickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Benanti is absolutely wonderful in the role, but Tammy did a great job, as well. Her take on the transformation was different and much more subtle than Laura's or Christa Moore's (who Laurents has stated was his favorite Louise). Throughout her first striptease, it was as if she was in a trance, trying to take herself out of the moment, and then at the end snapping out of it and realizing that she enjoyed what she was doing. It worked, oddly enough. It was also a plus to see Bernadette in the "wings", and seeing her frustrations with how Louise was performing, knowing that she could do it better. It added a little something to the moment. She was a very solid Louise. Laura's better, but it's a little unfair to compare to them.
"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
musikman Profile Photomusikman Profile Photo
musikman
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I have yet to see the current Gypsy, so I can't give my opinion on that.

However, I really thought Tammy was terrific in the role. What I found so compelling in he performance was the change in her voice, not just her confidence as a person. From her childish speaking and singing which transformed into that full sound and voice.
The way she moved and spoke just blossomed (for lack of a better word) as the night progressed.

I remember thinking when she first came on that she was a bit boring and stiff in the role, but that choice made the transformation later on in the show that much more successful.
-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."
jake6970
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I really loved Laura in the role, but I felt that A. she screamed and over acted in the final scene and B. I didn't see enough of the original Louise in her Gypsy, and I love to see both played as the same person. I felt her Gypsy and Louise were too separate. I still LOVED her though.
theaterguy11 Profile Phototheaterguy11 Profile Photo
theaterguy11
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Whoever said the comment about the Mendes revival being minimalist obviously hasnt seen the current revival.

The sets are faaaaar worse and faaaar more minimal