Page: 1

Potential Lead actress in a Play tony nominees

buddharich
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Curiously, only one new play has any lead actresses in it; why do broadway playwrights pretty much only write about men?? hmmm...

LEAD ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Eve Best, The Homecoming
Margaret Colin, Old Acquaintance
Clare Danes, Pygmalion
Deanna Dunagan, August: Osage County
(Kate Fleetwood, Macbeth (lead or featured?)
Jennifer Garner, Cyrano de Bergerac
Laura Linney, Les Dangeureuses Liaisons
Frances McDormand, The Country Girl
S. Epatha Merkerson, Come Back, Little Sheba
Amy Morton, August: Osage County
Anika Noni Rose, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
and...
Christine Baranski, Boeing-Boeing (lead or featured?)
the women of Top Girls (will any be considered lead or will they all be considered featured? Mary Beth Hurt, Martha Plimpton and Marisa Tomei are well known - Mary Catherine Garrison, Jennifer Ikeda, Elizabeth Marvel and Ana Reeder are less well known - all featured?)

Who have I left out??

WHO I THINK WILL BE NOMINATED: Eve Best, Deanna Dunagan, Kate Fleetwood (if she's considered lead), S. Epatha Merkerson, and Amy Morton

Updated On: 4/12/08 at 09:11 AM
Smaxie Profile PhotoSmaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
CATHERINE Baranski???
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
buddharich
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Christine Baranski - that explains why when i was typing that name it didn't seem right!! (:

I think i forgot an actress or two??
adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Amy Morton will be nominated and probably win for August: Osage County. There is not a chance she'll be over-looked.
WestonBoy Profile PhotoWestonBoy Profile Photo
WestonBoy
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Deanna will most likely be featured, with Amy Morton in leading - allowing both ladies to take home the award.
adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Deana is not going to be Featured. The committee ruled both she and Morton are eligible for Best Leading Actress in a Play.
Updated On: 4/12/08 at 09:39 AM
LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile PhotoLaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
S. EPATHA ALL THE WAY!
aliciag Profile Photoaliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
That's Claire Danes for Pygmalion. I don't know if Jennifer Garner would be featured or not but she was Cyrano.
Yero my Hero Profile PhotoYero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I believe the committe also ruled that Eve Best was Featured. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."
IdinaBellFoster Profile PhotoIdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jennifer Garner will be considered for Lead Actress, considering that the producers of Cyrano De Bergerac never petitioned for her to be Featured.
"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
defyingravity11 Profile Photodefyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Martha Plimpton for Cymbeline.
"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott
scaryclowns223 Profile Photoscaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No, they ruled that Best was a leading actress, kind of a strange decision.

My nominations would be as follows:

Deanna Dunagan, AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
Amy Morton. AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
S. Epatha Merkerson, COME BACK LITTLE SHEBA
Anika Noni Rose, CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF
Eve Best, THE HOMECOMING

If Elizabeth Marvel blows us away (and I've heard she'll most likely be the leading actress from that show), she might grab Best's spot. Laura Linney could also take it.

However, I saw THE HOMECOMING, and Eve Best really does deserve the nomination.

Oh, and my pick to win is Deanna Dunagan, hands down.
buddharich
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I've edited my original post to reflect the mistakes I made - thanks for the input!! (and for being nice about it!)

Martha Plimpton in Cymbeline will be in LEAD category? I thought it might be featured.

I read Top Girls so many years ago, I can't remember if there was a lead role - I might re-read it now just to see. I'm unfamiliar with Elizabeth Marvel? Is she a NYC actress??

Also, who was the co-star in Old Acquaintance? I've always had a gay man crush on Margaret Colin (since way back when she was on As the World Turns!), but I can't remember who played the other woman in it?? (I've read that play, too, and love the Bette Davis-Miriam Hopkins movie! Didn't see the broadway production, but i know it got terrible reviews.)
buddharich
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I've edited my original post to reflect the mistakes I made - thanks for the input!! (and for being nice about it!)

Martha Plimpton in Cymbeline will be in LEAD category? I thought it might be featured.

I read Top Girls so many years ago, I can't remember if there was a lead role - I might re-read it now just to see. I'm unfamiliar with Elizabeth Marvel? Is she a NYC actress??

Also, who was the co-star in Old Acquaintance? I've always had a gay man crush on Margaret Colin (since way back when she was on As the World Turns!), but I can't remember who played the other woman in it?? (I've read that play, too, and love the Bette Davis-Miriam Hopkins movie! Didn't see the broadway production, but i know it got terrible reviews.)
scaryclowns223 Profile Photoscaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Harriet Harris was in Old Acquaintance. I don't see her being nominated though...
buddharich
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
this is a list of all the POTENTIAL possible tony nominees for this year - including the ones who won't get nominated.

I take it Harriet Harris played the Peggy Wood/Miriam Hopkins role and Margaret Colin played the Jane Cowl/Bette Davis role.

Laura Linney doesn't seem right for her role in Les Dangeureuses Liaisons (to me anyway)...