Page: 1

Sweeney Todd tour

sesot Profile Photosesot Profile Photo
sesot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sweeney Todd tour#1
Posted: 4/9/08 at 5:58pm
Sweeney Todd is coming to the Fox. Has anyone seen this touring production? Is the cast good?
BrodyFosse123 Profile PhotoBrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd tour#2
Posted: 4/9/08 at 5:59pm
You're kidding, right?

There are TONS of threads asking the exact same question and with long responses.

DO A SEARCH! re: Sweeney Todd tour

TooDarnHot Profile PhotoTooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd tour#2
Posted: 4/9/08 at 6:02pm
on a seperate note... I love the Fox.
sesot Profile Photosesot Profile Photo
sesot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd tour#3
Posted: 4/9/08 at 6:20pm
Brody, when I did a quick search and glanced at the responses- there were not tons of threads as you put it. One was asking about a DVD of the tour and not the actual show. The only one actually about the tour stated problems with sound in the theatre, so hard to get an accurate idea if the cast is good or not. I am not trying to clog up the board; I just want to know if I should spend money on this particular show.
frogs_fan85 Profile Photofrogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd tour#4
Posted: 4/9/08 at 6:26pm
I made the trip up to Boston from NYC on Halloween last year to see the tour. Half the cast is from the Broadway run. Lauren Molina (Johanna), Ben Magnuson (Anthony), and Diana DiMarzio (Beggar Woman) are reprise their roles. John Arbo who was Fogg on Broadway started the tour, but has since left and was replaced by Stephen McIntyre (who was an understudy on Broadway). Ben Eakley who plays the Beadle was also an understudy on Broadway. Katrina Yaukey as Pirelli is also familiar to the Doyle oeuvre as she was a cover in Company. Same goes for Keith Buterbaugh as the Judge, who was Harry in Company. When I saw the production, David Garry was covering for David Hess as Sweeney and I thought he was fantastic. Hess hasn't exactly gotten raves, at least from what I've read. Judy Kaye is phenomenal and has grown so much from the time that she covered for Patti in June of 2006, which I also saw. The guy playing Toby, Edmund Bagnell, was a bit over the top compared to the rest of the cast, but vocally he was very strong. This is my favorite production so maybe I'm a bit biased, but I think you should make every effort to see this. Overall the cast is very strong and made the production thoroughly enjoyable.

EDIT- Just to emphasize my point, I'm planning a trip to either Chicago or Denver to catch the tour once more.

Updated On: 4/9/08 at 06:26 PM
broadwayrules  Profile Photobroadwayrules  Profile Photo
broadwayrules
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Sweeney Todd tour#5
Posted: 4/9/08 at 6:53pm
I saw it and it was amazing, the cast was great, diffently see it!
crc03772 Profile Photocrc03772 Profile Photo
crc03772
Understudy
Understudy
re: Sweeney Todd tour#6
Posted: 4/19/08 at 2:30am
I have seen this show twice this week in Tempe, AZ. This show was absoulutely phenomenal. I have seen two other more "traditional" productions of Sweeney and to be absolutely honest this has to be my favorite. I think the strongest in the cast have to be Judy Kaye and Edmund Bagnell. I saw Judy Kaye in Souevenir not long ago and she never dissapoints to say the least, and Sweeney is no exception, from the moment she opened her mouth, I was totally astounded. Edmund Bagnell as Toby was also amazing, the emotion he displays (especially in Not While I'm Around) and that beautifully animate face. The first night I saw it we saw all the "original" touring cast members. The second time, there was a stand-by for the Judge and Jonas. We spoke with the cast after and David Garry said this was his first night ever playing the Judge and you couldn't tell as he was quite excellent. Eddie Cahill as Jonas was good too. The whole cast were all very nice and very willing to chat and sign autographs. I can honestly saw that there is no weak links in this production, in fact to the point that I will most likely see it on Sunday before it leaves for its' next tour stop. If you get a chance go see this, you will NOT be dissapointed...simply...amazing...
californiasnow Profile Photocaliforniasnow Profile Photo
californiasnow
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Sweeney Todd tour#7
Posted: 4/19/08 at 3:46am
I saw it when it was in LA last month. Some of the images are so haunting that I can't listen to the music without thinking of them. Pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. Judy Kaye is a revelation, especially in the final sequence. Also really loved Diana DiMarzio. To put it mildly, I found David Hess to be underwhelming. But the rest of the cast is so fantastic and the production was so remarkable, that I count this as one of my most memorable theater going experiences of the last several years. Definitely go... and since it's an intimate production, I would say closer seating would be preferable.
musicalsFan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
kel62286 Profile Photokel62286 Profile Photo
kel62286
Understudy
Understudy
re: Sweeney Todd tour#9
Posted: 4/19/08 at 8:54am
I am going see it at the fox too! I love that theatre! I only sat in the mezz for kathy griffin, but I am wondering in orchestra seats would be better. Anyone have suggesstions?
crc03772
Understudy
Understudy
re: Sweeney Todd tour#10
Posted: 4/19/08 at 1:30pm
kel62286, I would definately say orchestra seats would be much better. The first night I saw it we say in the 1st balcony and it was pretty effective, but last night we were sitting about 17 rows from the stage and definately it was way more effective. It is an intimate piece, almost chamber-like that can be enjoyed no matter where you sit, but the closer you sit the more likely you are to feel almost a part of the story. There are many "spectacles" that can be enjoyed even when you are far away. This isn't one of those "big" flashy shows, it's all about, the intimate, in-your-face creepiness of it all...(as you can tell I just can't talk enough about it...haha)
Aryn007
Understudy
Understudy
re: Sweeney Todd tour#11
Posted: 4/21/08 at 10:43am
Orchestra is much better. I saw this show last night at the Gammage Auditorium (a house that's much too big for this show) and I can tell you, this show needs to be seen right up close and personal for most any of the effect to be understood.

Overall, I found the show very alienating, awkward...

I'm not asking for a lot of flash and sparkly lights, but honestly, I think that characters should at least be permitted to look at each other during intense or intimate scenes, I wouldn't mind a scene change or two, and an opportunity to clap every now and again.

Rather then help the story along, I felt the instruments hindered the performance. It's unfair to say that the WHOLE show was awkward (some parts worked very, very well) but overall, I felt like I was sitting at some abtstract, symbolic-ridden, artsy concert version of Sweeney Todd.
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd tour#12
Posted: 4/21/08 at 10:52am
It opens here in Denver in June and is playing the Buell Theater. If I can't get seats in the front orchestra section, I doubt I will see it. The Buell seats over 2,000 and I think is too big for this show.
Just give the world Love.
Wildcard
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd tour#13
Posted: 4/21/08 at 12:03pm
This production was meant to be seen in a more intimate setting. On tour, I'm sure some theaters will be too massive for this show and it looses a lot of its impact. The cast of the tour is excellent although the style of the production will get lost on many audiences. I knew what to expect ofcourse but my bf said that this was one of the weirdest productions he has seen. In addition, I think the movie having come out affects how people will see this particular version of the show since what made it originally work was that your imagination can fill in the details. After the film, some people will have the movie images stuck in their heads.
sbflyfan Profile Photosbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sweeney Todd tour#14
Posted: 4/21/08 at 1:32pm
I completely agree with everyone saying the venues are way too big.

I saw the tour in Pittsburgh, PA which was a venue of 2,600+. By complete luck I happened to look for tickets online when they released the Orchestra Pit seats for sale, so I ended up front row. I can't imagine being in the second balcony for a show like this, and it's beyond me why they booked such large venues.

However, I would definitely encourage anyone to go if you can get seats anywhere in the orchestra or mezzanine. It really is a unique production and the cast members are excellent... you do need to use your imagination, but that's what makes it so fun. It's one of the best experiences I've ever had in the theater.
"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

Dr. Jennifer Rinaldi will live on forever. Someone get her a Tony.
Updated On: 4/21/08 at 01:32 PM
crc03772
Understudy
Understudy
re: Sweeney Todd tour#15
Posted: 4/21/08 at 2:27pm
I saw it a 3rd (and sadly a last time) last night and I sat right in the front row. It was an amazing experience being that close. Also, I agree with everyone about having to use your imagination...that is why we have what is called 'suspension of disbelief'...yes it's an "artsy" production, but I think overall it works very well...
JamesMacon Profile PhotoJamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sweeney Todd tour#16
Posted: 4/26/08 at 1:28am
Does anyone know if the show has any kind of student rush or does it differ from city to city?
me2 Profile Photome2 Profile Photo
me2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sweeney Todd tour#17
Posted: 4/26/08 at 11:23am
I saw the show. Judy Kaye and the rest were wonderful, but I hated the staging and had Kaye not been in it, would have completely regretted seeing it. I was pretty bored by Act 2 because the staging removes all the relationships, the horror, and the suspense.
Evita: Falling Through the Cracks