Page: 1

Cry Baby

Mistress_Spouzic Profile PhotoMistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Cry Baby#1
Posted: 4/8/08 at 2:41am
I attended Cry Baby tonight with GMF and BG2.

I was pleasantly surprised that the show was not half as awful as everyone here seemed to imply, though it certainly had many flaws. There were plenty of good things to enjoy about the show- the dancing was amazing, the sets were gorgeous, the ensemble was really top notch. Alli Mauzey and Carly Jibson, back in the show after her concussion, were both hysterical. The goodie goodie boy band with Christopher Hanke was perfectly cheesy. Chester Gregory was amazing as always but grossly underused. There are lots of funny lines and things to watch (especially in the background with the ensemble having fun) to make you laugh.

Unfortunately the two leads lacked a certain amount of charisma needed to carry the show- after all Cry Babys popularity, in my opinion, was mostly due to Johnny Depps performance and this production like the movie needs someone who could be weird wild and still endearing and in such a huge theatre, you need a lot of charisma for it to carry well (I was sitting last row orchestra). Through no fault of the actor's I kept thinking that Cheyenne Jackson would be perfect in this role, and of course that was in part thanks to my remembering his performance in All Shook Up. James Snyder has a good voice, he really does, and hed be fabulous on a cast recording, hes just missing that something extra special on stage.

One thing I kept thinking was that you can really tell that theyve been working on the stuff that was falling flat but that still left the good stuff which with a bit of extra attention of their own could be great.
Updated On: 4/8/08 at 02:41 AM
jeffrey1dog Profile Photojeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Cry Baby#2
Posted: 4/8/08 at 3:30am
Hey Mistress Spouzic - It was great meeing you guys at Splash tonight. I saw CB Saturday & really enjoyed it re: Cry Baby. GMF & his pal John were not so kind, but I expect he'll post his review here soon.

I only thought of Cheyenne Jackson in the role of CB for a second when Snyder did a number that was very Elvis-like. As you can see by my avatar I'm a big CJ fan, but wouldn't want to see him in this show. He's perfect as Sonny in "Xanadu' & I want him to stay right there for now re: Cry Baby ... he's my baby daddy!

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)
aliciag Profile Photoaliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Cry Baby#2
Posted: 4/8/08 at 8:06am
I'm glad you enjoyed the show! I kind of feel like I should see the show again to see the changes and catch Carly Jibson. And I totally agree about the ensemble, my eyes were constantly being drawn to them... loved the choreagraphy!
Mistress_Spouzic Profile PhotoMistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Cry Baby#3
Posted: 4/8/08 at 1:54pm
it was great meeting you as well! I will have to make an effort to come to Musical Mondays more often.