Page: 1

Marcy in the Galaxy with Donna Lynne Champlin

HarryPotter01 Profile PhotoHarryPotter01 Profile Photo
HarryPotter01
Swing
Swing
All right. I know that I haven't been on here in awhile, but I've been busy writing a new play. (Don't worry, I'm not writing to semi-anonymously push my own project -- I'll do that later. Promise!)

Here's the deal: I saw MARCY IN THE GALAXY last night. Donna Lynne Champlin is giving THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SEASON. The reviews should begin coming in tonight, and I hope to G-d they support what I say, because OH MY, Oh My, OH MY!

THIS PERFORMANCE IS NOT TO BE MISSED! DLC won The Obie last year for THE DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS, with Michelle Pawk! Her final song of the show is a breakdown that rivals Patti's in GYPSY. Swear to G-d!

The piece itself is incredibly inspiring for all of us who aren't yet "where we want to be" in our chosen artistic pursuits -- not matter where it is we already are. There's a song sung by the main character's mother about all the mothers of famous artists and how they felt about the safety and stability of their children. It will break your heart! The direction is spot on. The whole thing is just...WOW!

But because the piece is Off-bway, it threatens to fly under the radar in this season of huge musical openings. Thus, I have taken a break from the rewriting/re-working of my new play to come on here and post. The show runs through April 20 and they have $10 student rush tickets an hour before curtain. And if you're in a show yourself or if you think it's too hard to fit this 90 minute musical in between running to see SOUTH PACIFIC, GYPSY, and AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY, there are Monday night shows, so... Go! Go! Go!
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am in 100% agreement. This is a performance not to be missed. Ms. Champlin in stellar, moving, and precise with this performance. It's just a master class for acting in the musical theatre.
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Donna Lynne is awesome. I'm sad I won't be able to see this before it closes.
A work of art is an invitation to love.
246012 Profile Photo246012 Profile Photo
Swing
Swing
I agree as well! This show is so beautifully crafted and the entire cast is phenomenal! It will totally hit home for all artists in this city. Go see it!
LimelightMike Profile PhotoLimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Could is POSSIBLY make 'the big move' somewhere down the road, or get an extention Off-B'way? I'd LOVE to have this piece ON BROADWAY, to be completely honest. Admittedly, I have yet to see it, but I've HEARD it and Oh-Em-Gee. That's all I'm sayin'!
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not with the Times review. I think Isherwood was clearly off his antidepressants when he saw the show. he seemed to miss not only the redemption of the character, but he missed the mirror being held up to him by Marcy. What an insanely wrong review!
jbdc
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Donna Lynne is always genius, and she is wonderful in Marcy in the Galaxy. (And she's one of the nicest people in musical theatre.) Don't miss this show. I was blown away by her.
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
for all who are interested, the show is on tdf.
ZiggyCringe
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
I didn't feel Isherwood's review for this show was totally off.

I agree, Donna Lynne is an amazing performer. I felt she was truly transcendent in this show, and I urge people to go see it for her. She is always completely in the moment, and her performance is a master class in acting a song.

However, I found the show depressingly ballad-heavy, and problematic in its construction. While I was able to emphasize with Champlin's portrayal of Marcy, I think in anyone else's hands that character would be deadly.

It was a show that I found a lot to like about, but one that didn't ultimately work, for me.