On the Playbill website
Poster Emeritus
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anna Nicole Smith The Opera#2
Posted: 4/4/08 at 9:44pm
That's just disturbing.
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
broadwayrules  Profile Photobroadwayrules  Profile Photo
broadwayrules
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Anna Nicole Smith The Opera#2
Posted: 4/4/08 at 9:51pm
That really is disturbing.
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anna Nicole Smith The Opera#3
Posted: 4/4/08 at 9:54pm
Mark-Anthony Turnage is composing the score for the new work, which will be staged at the Royal Opera House featuring a 90-piece orchestra.

90?! For real? Is that an instrument per one of her lovers?
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
MrSweetNAwful Profile PhotoMrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anna Nicole Smith The Opera#4
Posted: 4/4/08 at 10:04pm
god help us all

I mean, Jerry Springer was plausible and apearantly successful, but this? I just can't see it.
You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott
theaterkid1015 Profile Phototheaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anna Nicole Smith The Opera#5
Posted: 4/4/08 at 10:47pm
No, blaxx, in order for that, we'd have to square that number.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anna Nicole Smith The Opera#6
Posted: 4/4/08 at 10:56pm
I have a feeling that we'll all be saying that this show is gonna suck and then we'll all be surprised.

If not, let the pecking begin!
Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
BkCollector
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Anna Nicole Smith The Opera#7
Posted: 4/4/08 at 11:04pm
Jerry Springer was a smart, and incredibly well-crafted musical. I'm looking forward to this next one.
slimandslam Profile Photoslimandslam Profile Photo
slimandslam
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Anna Nicole Smith The Opera#8
Posted: 4/4/08 at 11:27pm
It's certainly ripe for operatic treatment, as was Jerry Springer. The story highlights passions, personalities, and situations that are so outsized as to demand an art form that can match any over-the-top situation yet devised by human imagining.

(Re "outsized": someone take the bait, please.)

What's odd is that Richard Thomas, who wrote the music for Jerry Springer: The Opera, is apparently only writing the libretto for ANC: The Opera. I thought the music was JS's strong suit, with the libretto (by Stewart Lee and Thomas) being very clever but not as clever (or as profound) as it wanted to be. With a new composer, will ANC repeat that pattern, or will it reduce its strengths from one to none?
whatever2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anna Nicole Smith The Opera#9
Posted: 4/4/08 at 11:27pm
jsto was brilliant.

clearly, thomas has a knack for tapping into the tragically operatic (or is it the operatically tragic) in the american zeitgeist. let's hope his sophomore effort lives up to the high hopes those familiar with his work no doubt will hold!
"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)
slimandslam Profile Photoslimandslam Profile Photo
slimandslam
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Anna Nicole Smith The Opera#10
Posted: 4/4/08 at 11:33pm
Re Richard Thomas and American pop culture: any word on how his Britney Spears ballet is coming along? (See artcle here: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2008/01/jerry_springer_the_opera_compo.html)

Or maybe he's just having us on, pulling the US's collective chain with press releases and party comments, and is actually working on a song cycle for tenor and string quartet, based on the works of Rimbaud.
whatever2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anna Nicole Smith The Opera#11
Posted: 4/4/08 at 11:48pm
it had a one-night workshop in london in february, i believe. i suspect it's not going anywhere ... kind of like its subject's career.
"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)