Page: 1

Has the tony committee ruled on any of the following?

buddharich
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Will Arthur Laurents (he was nominated for the 1975 Angela Lansbury revival) be eligible for best director of a musical?

Which categories for the following (lead or featured)? James EArl Jones (Cat On a Hot Tin Roof), Laurie Metcalf (November), Daniel Breaker (Passing Strange), Harvey Fierstein (A Catered Affair), Eve Best (The Homecoming), Kate Fleetwood (Macbeth)??

Which shows will be eligible for best orchestrations??
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why wouldn't Laurents be able to get nominated. Tony rules state that in order for a show to be considered a revival by the Tony committee it has to be three years between the original production and the revival. That being said he can and most likely will get the nomination. Will he win it is another question.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Eve Best is a Leading Actress, because when they committee met to consider The Homecoming, they ruled McShane was eligible for Leading Actor, with all of the other men that were above the title eligible for Featured Actor. The rest of the cast's eligibility was consistent with the opening night credits, where Best was above the title, making her a Leading Actress. It's a shame, because she could probably have won the Featured Actress award, but now may not even be nominated for Leading Actress.
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
winston...dude.

The question isn't whether GYPSY will be nominated for Best Revival (which it will), but the question is whether Arthur Laurents will be eligible for a nomination in the Best Director of a Musical category, being that he has directed the show before.

I don't believe that any of the other shows you mentioned have had rulings yet, with the possible exception of THE HOMECOMING.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
adamgreer Profile Photoadamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't see why Laurents wouldn't be eligible. The committee nominated James Lapine for directing both the original and revival of Into the Woods.
Updated On: 3/30/08 at 12:48 PM
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But those productions of INTO THE WOODS were markedly different.

GYPSY...not so much.

But still, I agree. He will probably be named eligible for a nomination, but will not get nominated.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But this GYPSY revival is pretty different from Laurent's last 2 revivals. New staging, new set/costumes, the orchestra is on stage, a few cuts, a couple line changes, and a new ending. I think it's a enough to make him eligible.
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh don't get me wrong, I totally agree that he will be eligible. I just think the chances of him getting the nomination over, say, SOUTH PACIFIC, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE, PASSING STRANGE, A CATERED AFFAIR, and IN THE HEIGHTS is pretty slim.
Smaxie Profile PhotoSmaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Forgot about Lapine's nomination for the Woods revival, although in look and tone, that production was quite different from the original. I don't think a different physical production, some cuts and the orchestra onstage are enough to justify a Laurents nomination. Plus, given that Bartlett Sher and Sam Buntrock are likely nominees for their work on South Pacific and Sunday in the Park With George, it would be nice to recognize the contributions of directors to new musicals for the other two slots.
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
BroadwayChica Profile PhotoBroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Laurents should be eligible, (it's 2 different productions, regardless of the fact that he directed both) and may prove a sentimental favorite among voters. But if you ask me, no one deserves this award over Sam Buntrock.