Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A Gritty Social Drama: CATS#1
Posted: 3/29/08 at 4:03pm
Brilliant. That's all I can say.

"He's got nine lives!"
"They shot him nine times!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5dtdbXcgnE
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Gritty Social Drama: CATS#2
Posted: 3/29/08 at 4:30pm
Come on! This is FUNNY!
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
paradox_error Profile Photoparadox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Gritty Social Drama: CATS#2
Posted: 3/29/08 at 5:13pm
They're my boys! I love the Chaser boys, they're the best political and social commentary Australia has to offer...
This isn't their best work, though. Not by a long shot.
AND every episode of the show has one segment called "If Life Were A Musical", where they film themselves performing fully choreographed routines, with original music, to unsuspecting workers, students, bystanders...It's very cool. The season finale had a major routine with about 50 participants performing in the main shopping street of Brisbane, just randomly, with no indication that anything out-of-the-ordinary was going to happen...
Thanks for posting this, and reminding me of my love of the Chaser's. I can't wait for next season!
Raspberry Profile PhotoRaspberry Profile Photo
Raspberry
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: A Gritty Social Drama: CATS#3
Posted: 3/29/08 at 5:15pm
Hmm... I do like the part where he quotes the Jellicle song.
"I just want a story and a few good songs that will take me away. I just want to be entertained. I mean, isn't that the point?"
-Man in Chair
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Gritty Social Drama: CATS#4
Posted: 3/29/08 at 5:31pm
I've been watching some more. They're hilarious!
Are the DVDs released?
Defying_Gravity_Girl Profile PhotoDefying_Gravity_Girl Profile Photo
Defying_Gravity_Girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Gritty Social Drama: CATS#5
Posted: 3/29/08 at 5:32pm
Haha! OK, its funny!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

www.writersinlove.com
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: A Gritty Social Drama: CATS#6
Posted: 3/29/08 at 6:59pm
I loved it but it would have been so much better if there was more from the show, the plot was obviously different - the only real link was that they are cats (and the Jellicle and 9 lives bits). Believe it or not Cats has a plot, and it isn't striking factory workers.
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Gritty Social Drama: CATS#7
Posted: 3/29/08 at 7:10pm
CATS does have a plot. It has an extremely detailed through line narrative if you choose to look closely enough. It's clear to me that a great deal of thought went into the devising of the order in which things needed to occur in order to tell that story better. It starts off during "The Invitation to the Jellicle Ball" letting you know exactly what the story is and then by the end of the night raps things up with the prostitute Grizabella's being chosen to start life anew.

It is very much a "concept" show due to the fact that T.S. Eliot had drawn up "sketches" for the purpose of using and incorporating the poems into an "evening" and I've always been rather impressed as opposed to finding it ludicrous that Webber, Nunn and Lynn were able to construct an evening of musical theatre, after Eliot's death, with the ban that the Eliot estate put on the inclusion of original material. They were therefor forced to create a "plot" using the unpublished poems of Grizabella, Eliot's "Rhapsody on a Windy Night" and fragments based on two phrases:

"Jellicle cats come out tonight, Jellicle cats come one come all. The Jellicle moon is shining bright, Jellicles come to the Jellicle Ball".

and the unpublished idea of Eliot's that a cat would eventually travel "Up, Up, Up past the Russell Hotel. and "Up, Up, Up to the Heaviside Layer".

It is very much a story of redemption and exceptance that ends up being a heavy subject matter for a show that is often considered to be a children's musical.
theaterdude87 Profile Phototheaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Gritty Social Drama: CATS#8
Posted: 3/29/08 at 8:02pm
that was great. especially because they had the makeup and costumes.
for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Gritty Social Drama: CATS#9
Posted: 3/29/08 at 8:22pm
Obviously, this clip really has nothing to do with CATS.

Except the make up and costumes.
paradox_error Profile Photoparadox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: A Gritty Social Drama: CATS#10
Posted: 3/29/08 at 8:43pm
I don't know about DVDs, but they vidcast all their shows. Go to their website, and you can download the episodes...
I have them all, at least from the last 2 seasons! re: A Gritty Social Drama: CATS