Page: 1

New Amerykah part 1

Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New Amerykah part 1#1
Posted: 3/29/08 at 11:14am
Does anyone else love this album as much as I do?

I just got it last night, and I can't stop listening to it. It may be my new favorite album of Erykah's, more than "Worldwide Underground" which I though wouldn't be possible.

the Beats are insane, and her lyrics are so insightful without being preachy.

Get thee to a music store or Itunes as fast as thee can, and get a copy!!
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile PhotoCaroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Amerykah part 1#2
Posted: 3/29/08 at 1:17pm
I downloaded "The Healer" a few weeks ago and I've been playing it NONSTOP.

It is such an amazing song, I'm going to have to get the whole album when I scrounge up some bucks.
"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed
TonyaFanatic Profile PhotoTonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: New Amerykah part 1#2
Posted: 3/31/08 at 1:54am
Definitely a groundbreaking work from an artist who was beginning to get into that "weird" place.(Lauryn, I still love you girl....come home). She completely turned it around with this album and proved why she is a genius.
"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Amerykah part 1#3
Posted: 3/31/08 at 12:00pm
that's good to hear....i was waiting to see what the buzz was--not a huge fan of Mama's Gun
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Amerykah part 1#4
Posted: 3/31/08 at 12:45pm
Lildogs- you can definately tell she has grown much since 2000. New Amerykah sounds the same, but different at the same time as Mama's Gun. Meaning that she'll always sound like Erykah, and she'll have the Erykah groove.

But this album is further in the direction of where she was going with "Worldwide Underground" There aren't as many "Radio ready" songs in this album. and, IMO that's a good thing. Some people are complaining becuase they say they can't really sing along with certain songs. but that isn't the point of this album, really.

This album is a call to conscienceness. So the lyrics featured here are more complex, they are not simply love songs or, other "run of the mill" type subjects that songs are usually about. Don't get me wrong, though. The beats are hot. They are modern, yet they seem to borrow from "Back in the day" to use a Badu song title.

The result is a seamless album that smoothly travels from song to song, with a few interludes in between. The production makes it sound effortless, but you know it is just the opposite. They worked hard on the album, we, the fan are the wealthier for it.

My guess- the next album, part 2, will be much more "Club-conscience" and will please the fans who wanted to sing along more this time around.

well, i didn't mean to make a long-winded review, but there it is.
"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 3/31/08 at 12:45 PM
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Amerykah part 1#5
Posted: 3/31/08 at 1:36pm
"becuase they say they can't really sing along with certain songs. but that isn't the point of this album, really."

No, it isn't the point--if we could sing like Erykah, then we'd be up there. Who buys an album to sing along to? Besides THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER....
uncageg Profile Photouncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Amerykah part 1#6
Posted: 3/31/08 at 4:25pm
It is excellent!!! I can't wait for the next two. From what I hear, part 2 is due out at the beginning of the summer and part 3 in the fall. I thought there were only two CD's but I now hear there is a 3rd one. I can't stop listening to it! it's brilliant.
Just give the world Love.
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Amerykah part 1#7
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:15pm
bump
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Amerykah part 1#8
Posted: 5/18/08 at 3:26am
Just found out I am seeing her on June 2nd here in Denver as a gift for my birthday!!! Can't wait. I will find this thread afterwards and report on the concert! (I have seen her twice)
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: New Amerykah part 1#9
Posted: 6/3/08 at 6:25pm
Well I saw her last night, and Oh. My. God!! She was incredible. This is my 3rd time seeing her. In reading reviews of the stops before Denver, she was doing an hour and 45 minutes. She gave Denver 2 and 1/2 hours last night. She came on at 9:30 and walked off the stage just after midnight. But not before tearing the place apart and then diving off the stage into the crowd to finish a song while they were carrying her around over their heads. Standouts were the new retro live version of "Apple Tree", her opener "New Amerykah" (Which she rocked the house with) and "Danger" (from the EP) The crowd went nuts when she started "Danger". The venue was a small one (The Fillmore) but holds probably about a thousand or so people. it was a warm evening and their air conditioning was on the fritz. By the time the place filled up, it was sweltering. Condensation was dripping from the pipes above our heads. After 2 songs, she ran up to the mic and yelled "S**t it's hot in here"! She then asked for a t-shirt (3 were tossed from the audience) She pulled a large one over her head and just below her breasts, unzipped the poofy electric pink top she was wearing, pulled it out down under the t-shirt and tossed it. She then pulled the t-shirt collar down around her shoulders and tossed the head piece she was wearing and continued on. The crowd, of course went wild". She also did a killer version of "Orange Moon" and "Bag Lady". She did a song a lot of people didn't recognize, some seem to know the words, and we were wondering if it was just an old song we didn't know or something from the second CD. All in all, a fantastic concert despite the heat which made us want to pass out....but we stayed woke!
Updated On: 6/3/08 at 06:25 PM