Page: 1

Dave sees Juno tonight....and really likes it!

dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Dave sees Juno tonight....and really likes it!

So Tonight I got to see Juno, yes, the show I was begging for someone to go with me too last week. Thankfully I did find a friend to go with me, and I got that incredible 10 dollar discount! (My friend also loved it by the way.) I can’t seem to find that original thread, but whoever told me thanks so much!! I was in row F in the mezzanine and it was a great seat.
Sadly the night did not get off to a good start. I got trapped on the subway for some terrible reason and wound up being 10 minutes late. I know, I hated to be that obnoxious person, but it really wasn’t my fault. I missed the opening number, but it sounded incredible from behind the door to the mezzanine.
Anyway once we got seated we heard Celia Keenan-Bolger’s “I wish it so” which was my first exposure to the gorgeous music. I love encores because you get to see the orchestra on stage and the sound is so much fuller with the added musicians. It is a treat to hear such a full sound of such a rarely performed show.
The highlights:
1. Victoria Clark! I only saw her from televised version of Light in the Piazza, but I immediately fell in love with her. Seeing her live was a complete and utter treat. I was blown away by both her singing and her acting. She truly is a gift to the stage. (And a sweetheart at the stagedoor! She was catching up with one of her old students which I thought was really cool!)
2. The Dancing. Absolutely fantastic. From my favorite scene, “On a day like this” to “The Ballad if Johnny Boyle” I was blown away. The guys holding the door at the end of the first act was fantastic and Tyler Hanes’(Soo nice too at the stage door who I loved in A Chorus Line) one-armed ballet just really made this show shine. It was absolutely thrilling to watch.
3. Michael Arden’s “One Kind of Word”. Beautiful voice, and a gorgeous song!
4. The duet between Victoria Clack and Celia. “Bird upon a tree.”
5. The beginning of the second act. I loved that they used the record skipping here, which was funny since at least two of the cast members were from The Drowsy Chaperone.
6. Conrad John Schuck. A good drunkard. Great voice and a strong actor.

Problems:
1. Pacing. It was a little erratic at times. I don’t know how well it would go over with today's Broadway audiences. Not the fastest moving show.
2. Ending. Didn’t quite work for me. I think that may have just been me though.
3. Melodrama. The show can easily be predicted five minutes in. Not saying that it hampered my enjoyment of the show, but there really weren’t any surprises.

I know this is an odd number of thins to write about, but that’s all I can think of right now. I really liked this show and will definitely get the recording when it comes out. Conrad told us at the stage door that there definitely is going to be one! They had just found out today! At times, this felt like the best of a classic musical, and even when it didn’t I was enthralled due to the superb cast on stage. This was a much better experience than Applause and I encourage everyone to see it! If you are a fan of the “classic Broadway musical” then this is surely for you! Let me know your thoughts and if you have questions.

Ps. Jay sorry to kinda steal your format, but I figured it was ok since you aren't seeing this one!

Updated On: 3/28/08 at 12:33 AM
CurtainPullDowner Profile PhotoCurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Way to go Dave.
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Thanks!
pharmer2000 Profile Photopharmer2000 Profile Photo
pharmer2000
Stand-by
Stand-by
I was there on thursday also, and I really enjoyed it. The performances were incredible! What a cast!!!
noodles2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
i too agree, it was just fantastic. a great night at the theatre.
AC126748 Profile PhotoAC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'll be very pleased if there is a recording made. It seems logical that the Marc Blitzstein estate would put up the money for a "definitive" recording, since the existing one isn't very good.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
jaystarr Profile Photojaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am glad you like it, Dave! too bad I cant see this .. I am on self-imposed Broadway hiatus...lol!

J*
frontrowcentre2 Profile Photofrontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is there much more score than is on the original cast album?

I have always loved it and made sure to pick up the CD when it came out. (I knew that one would not last long in the catalogue.)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

TomMonster Profile PhotoTomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I, unfortunately, found the whole evening to be quite the snooze fest. Great sound and all, but the show is tedious and just badly constructed. As lovely as the score is, it does nothing to propel the action.

I do hope they record it, though.
"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Tom, sorry you didn't like it. I was actually very worried my friend would feel that way but she loved it. But what you said seems to be the sentiment the critics felt when it was originally released. (based on the article in the playbill).
But for a show that only ran 16 performances I thought it really was a lost gem. My expectations were also low after Applause.

Jay: Hope you have a great time this weekend. I may see you if yr around times sq at 2. Goin 2 the lion king!

Thanks noodles!
Pharmer: Nice meeting you! Even though i didn't know you were a bww-er.
miss pennywise Profile Photomiss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought it was brilliant.
"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
miss pennywise, I totally agree with you!
miss pennywise Profile Photomiss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was really tired and almost didn't go. Thank goodness I didn't give in to my fatigue. I would have missed an extraordinary event.

Victoria Clark is perfect...such a focused and beautiful actress. She completely loses herself in every role she assumes, which, to me, is the greatest compliment one can give a person who has chosen acting as their profession. It should also be every actor's objective.

Dave...re: Dave sees Juno tonight....and really likes it!
"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
folkyboy Profile Photofolkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i loved it too! Michael Arden's "One Kind Word" really just had me enthralled and Tyler Hanes's dream ballet was AMAZING! i wish they'd record it though. re: Dave sees Juno tonight....and really likes it! i can't get over how moved i was by it all.

i was crying by the end!
dave1606
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
i really thought it was a pretty darn powerful show. Thank god it sounds like the ARE going to record it. At least that's what Conrad told me!
folkyboy Profile Photofolkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well during the talkback they said they weren't. which is why i'm under the impression they will not.
singingbackup Profile Photosingingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw it Sunday night, and thought they did a beautiful job. Lots of highlights were already mentioned, but the Bird In the Tree duet between Victoria and Celia was so beautiful it stopped the show. (Very poignant moment beings the two were reunited from the Piazza out-of-towners and this was the last night they were going to be mother/daughter--we didn't want it to end.)

givesmevoice Profile Photogivesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw the Saturday matinee and absolutely loved it. City Center was the emptiest I've ever seen it though, which was a little upsetting [until my friend and I upgraded ourselves to front mezz seats from the rear gallery].

as beautiful as the score was, as wonderful as the performances were...I understand why it didn't do well. and I don't know how well I think it'd realistically do if it happened to be revived.
When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
singingbackup Profile Photosingingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It was nice to "Revisit", but agreed that it doesn't warrant a revival.
everythingtaboo Profile Photoeverythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
nice review, dave. saw it friday night and really found the score quite enjoyable. didn't know anything about the show at all going in, but i'd never been to city center as an adult and with that cast - who could resist! although with ticket sales, apparently a lot of people could...

not knowing anything about the show, i wasn't prepared for the show to take such a tragic turn - while i do agree the meldrama could be seen miles away, i didn't expect the ending to be so dark.

anyway, the score was gorgeously arranged and sung beautifully. the choreography was strong and ably performed, and the performances were stellar all-around. i'll definitely be paying more attention to the encores! productions now, to see more little gems that deserve to be revisited.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008