Question about drug testing

Mistress Overdone Profile PhotoMistress Overdone Profile Photo
Mistress Overdone
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Question about drug testing#1
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:33pm
Okay, here goes...

A few weeks ago I went to the ER for an insanely painful back injury. I was prescribed a mild narcotic to help me deal with the pain.

In the meantime, I've been looking for a job, and I'm realizing that once I get an offer, I'll most likely have to submit to a drug screening. I'm wondering a few things:

1.) If I took my last pain pill Sunday morning, how long will it take for the drug to clear out of my system?

2.) Can a workplace deny employment for a drug that has been legally prescribed?
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Question about drug testing#2
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:37pm
1) Depends on the drug. And it depends on what kind of drug test it is (hair, urine, blood, etc)

2) No. You may have to prove that you have a prescription. Usually before a drug test you are asked what prescriptions you're taking.

It also depends on what they test for. Not all drug tests test for the same drugs.

Mistress Overdone
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Question about drug testing#2
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:45pm
Well, urine screen has been the method of choice for jobs I've had in the past.
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about drug testing#3
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:22pm
I doubt seriously if you have anything to worry about. You could probably reasearch how long it takes the drug to get out of your system. Besides that, it was nothing illegal.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about drug testing#4
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:27pm
As long as you have a prescription or doctor's note, you shouldn't have a problem. Usually they ask beforehand if you are on any medication.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about drug testing#5
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:50pm
If you have a prescription there should be no problem.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
christhefish Profile Photochristhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about drug testing#6
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:53pm
I spend a signifigant protion of my day doing tox-screens (urine drug screens) I can answer most any question you have.
- Most narotics when taken orally remain in the system for a realtivly short time. Two days maximun more like 24 hours.
-Like many of the people above me have already mentioned you don't have to worry about what is in our system as long as you have a prescribtion for it. I work in a substance abuse clinic so we require a copy of the actual script singed by the Dr. you will probably be fine with just the pill bottle.
- Also I would recomend drinking a lot of water before you are screened. This really doesn't do anything to your toxcity level but for the person that actually has to screen your urine they will really appricate it. Trust me when its watered down it doesn't smell nearly as bad.
Mistress Overdone
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Question about drug testing#7
Posted: 3/27/08 at 11:29pm
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I was recently laid off, so I'm on edge anyway; and tomorrow I interview for a job I really, really want. I've never taken an illegal drug in my life, but drug tests have always made me paranoid, so given my recent medical incident I'm extra-paranoid. Geez, I'm just one giant ball of nerves!
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about drug testing#8
Posted: 3/27/08 at 11:37pm
Take some illegal drugs. You'll be less nervous.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
courtnyj Profile Photocourtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about drug testing#9
Posted: 3/27/08 at 11:58pm
lol munk.
East Village  Profile PhotoEast Village  Profile Photo
East Village
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Question about drug testing#10
Posted: 3/28/08 at 12:14am
Its times like this when you have to look deep inside and ask yourself what would Courtney Love do?
ThatBroadwayBitch Profile PhotoThatBroadwayBitch Profile Photo
ThatBroadwayBitch
Understudy
Understudy
re: Question about drug testing#11
Posted: 3/28/08 at 10:50am
she'd pop some pills. and sing really, really flat.
get all the bitchy dish at: thatbroadwayblog.blogspot.com
husk_charmer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about drug testing#12
Posted: 3/28/08 at 10:56am
To echo the drinking water, it will also ensure you fill the cup.

Apparently, if you don't fill it, they call it "Failure to take a drug test"...learned that the hard way. (In my defense, it was a random drug test, and I had gone pee 2 hours before they pulled me)
http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer
ThatBroadwayBitch Profile PhotoThatBroadwayBitch Profile Photo
ThatBroadwayBitch
Understudy
Understudy
re: Question about drug testing#13
Posted: 3/28/08 at 11:00am
all my high school boyfriends used to buy that stuff from GNC that could make you "pass a drug test." I always wondered if that stuff messed with your digestive system or kidneys.
get all the bitchy dish at: thatbroadwayblog.blogspot.com
Kasie Profile PhotoKasie Profile Photo
Kasie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about drug testing#14
Posted: 3/28/08 at 11:07am
Don't drink too much water though, it will just dilute it and you'll have to do it again.
thetheatrekook Profile Photothetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question about drug testing#15
Posted: 3/28/08 at 11:12am
Very true Kasie, I was just about to reply the same thing! Dilute = bad bad bad. And most companies have a cap (in my case, my company only allows 2 dilute drug screens before your offer is automatically revoked.)

(I work with traveling medical professionals who have to take a new drug screen for every assignment they accept.)

If your drug screen does hit because of your meds, you will recieve a call from an MRO, and you will have to fax in proof of your prescription. If all is well, they will clear you, no problem.

Defintely let your potential employer know ahead of time - because an MRO will have a longer turn-around...if they know this is going to happen, it will look MUCH less sketchy than if it were to just be delayed (never a good sign, in my experience!)
www.kickfornick.com
Mistress Overdone
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Question about drug testing#16
Posted: 3/28/08 at 4:24pm
So, after all my paranoia - this company doesn't even do drug testing, just an exhaustive background check. But the interview went VERY well - I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Question about drug testing#17
Posted: 3/28/08 at 4:49pm
Time to roll a doobie!