Page: 1

Time Magazine: Is Al Gore the Answer

PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Time Magazine: Is Al Gore the Answer#1
Posted: 3/27/08 at 5:16pm
No Hillary/Barack sniping in this thread--just Gore Luv!

I've been dreaming about this for months.

snippet--entire article at link

===

Time Magazine: Is Al Gore the Answer

Wednesday, Mar. 26, 2008
Is Al Gore the Answer?
By Joe Klein

Unlike Barack Obama, Bill Clinton does not believe in "the fierce urgency of now." The former President has an exquisitely languid sense of how political time unfurls. He understands that those moments the political community, especially the media, considers urgent usually aren't. He has seen his own election and reelection—and completing his second term—pronounced "impossible" and lived to tell the tale. He remembers that in spring 1992 he had pretty much won the Democratic nomination but was considered a dead man walking, running third behind Bush the Elder and Ross Perot. He knows that April is the silly season in presidential politics, the moment when candidates involved in a bruising primary battle seem weakest and bloodied, as both Hillary Clinton and Obama do now. It's the moment when pundits demand action—"Drop out, Hillary!"—and propound foolish theories. And so I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I'm slouching toward, well, a theory: if this race continues to slide downhill, the answer to the Democratic Party's dilemma may turn out to be Al Gore.

This April promises to be crueler than most. The two campaigns have started attacking each other with chainsaws, while the Republican John McCain is moving ahead in some national polls. At this point, Clinton can only win the nomination ugly: by superdelegates abandoning Obama and turning to her, in droves—not impossible, but not very likely either. Even if Clinton did overtake Obama, it would be very difficult for her to win the presidency: African Americans would never forgive her for "stealing" the nomination. They would simply stay home in November, as would the Obamista youth. (Although the former President is probably thinking: Yeah, but John McCain is a flagrantly flawed candidate too—I'd accept even a corrupted nomination and take my chances.)...

Which brings us back to Al Gore. Pish-tosh, you say, and you're probably right. But let's play a little. Let's say the elders of the Democratic Party decide, when the primaries end, that neither Obama nor Clinton is viable. Let's also assume—and this may be a real stretch—that such elders are strong and smart enough to act. All they'd have to do would be to convince a significant fraction of their superdelegate friends, maybe fewer than 100, to announce that they were taking a pass on the first ballot at the Denver convention, which would deny the 2,025 votes necessary to Obama or Clinton. What if they then approached Gore and asked him to be the nominee, for the good of the party—and suggested that he take Obama as his running mate? Of course, Obama would have to be a party to the deal and bring his 1,900 or so delegates along.

I played out that scenario with about a dozen prominent Democrats recently, from various sectors of the party, including both Obama and Clinton partisans. Most said it was extremely unlikely ... and a pretty interesting idea. A prominent fund raiser told me, "Gore-Obama is the ticket a lot of people wanted in the first place." A congressional Democrat told me, "This could be our way out of a mess." Others suggested Gore was painfully aware of his limitations as a candidate. "I don't know that he'd be interested, even if you handed it to him," said a Gore friend. Chances are, no one will hand it to him. The Democratic Party would have to be monumentally desperate come June. And yet ... is this scenario any more preposterous than the one that gave John McCain the Republican nomination? Yes, it's silly season. But this has been an exceptionally "silly" year.

Is Al Gore the Answer?
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#2
Posted: 3/27/08 at 5:23pm
allen iverson is the answer. and he always will be.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#2
Posted: 3/27/08 at 6:08pm
"I've been dreaming about this for months."

Now I have "I Have Dreamed" from "The King and I" running in my head.
Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#3
Posted: 3/27/08 at 6:12pm
Gore doesn't have the chimichangas to run again. Losing again would send him over the edge (not that he isn't already there).
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#4
Posted: 3/27/08 at 6:32pm
Losing again? I still have a "Re-elect Al Gore" sticker on my car.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
DG
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#5
Posted: 3/27/08 at 6:34pm
"Let's also assume—and this may be a real stretch—that such elders are strong and smart enough to act."

I think we've seen what happens when they 'act'.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#6
Posted: 3/27/08 at 6:37pm
if winning prestigious awards and being more successful than ever is on the edge, sign me up!
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#7
Posted: 3/27/08 at 6:39pm
"I still have a "Re-elect Al Gore" sticker on my car."

I blame Hillary Clinton. (Actually those bumperstickers were first made for Bill's impeachment).
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#8
Posted: 3/27/08 at 6:39pm
Gore's gotten far too fat to be president. So, no. He's not the answer.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#9
Posted: 3/27/08 at 7:29pm
Thankfully not.
Poster Emeritus
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#10
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:13pm
He slimmed down for the Oscars last year.

time magazine: is al gore the answer

I think he and Tipper look hawt.
jessica0414 Profile Photojessica0414 Profile Photo
jessica0414
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
time magazine: is al gore the answer#11
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:28pm
I'm interning in DC right now and my office was talking about this yesterday. He may be seen by some people as too focused on one issue. I'd vote for him, though, especially if it would mean a united Democratic party. All of this spatting back and forth has gotten old fast, and it doesn't seem to be helping the Dems keep what they gained in '06.
"You don't just stop posting horse s*** on the web!"-The [Title of Show] Show
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#12
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:29pm
So what does this say about diversity in the Democratic Party? When the woman and the black man can't get the job done, the white man has to come bail them out?
South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#13
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:30pm
If Al Gore isn't the answer - what is?

McCain? - Only if you like senile , crazy people.

Obama? - Not for me.
Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
The Boy From Ohio Profile PhotoThe Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#14
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:36pm
PJ's fantasy comes true...
9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#15
Posted: 3/27/08 at 9:36pm
I think it's a dangerous assumption to believe that the entire party is going to unite behind someone who received no votes at all. Sure, there die hards who would vote for whoever is on the ticket, and Gore fans like PJ who were hoping for him all along. But will passionate Obama and Clinton supporters automatically fall in line?
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#16
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:10pm
100%.
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#17
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:13pm
A Gore/Obama ticket would be amazing!
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
christhefish Profile Photochristhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
time magazine: is al gore the answer#18
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:44pm
I met Gore two years ago during one of his presentions of An Inconvient Truth, I think he would be an amazing President. I don't know if he would run though. I would love it if he did.