Page: 1

In The Heights 3/25 review (possible spoilers)

Baiseur82 Profile PhotoBaiseur82 Profile Photo
Baiseur82
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Fist of all let me say that I have never before been in The Richard Rogers Theatre and I was very impressed. What a beautiful house! The second thing I saw was that AMAZING set. I was literally blown away by it. I was really stunned I don't think I have seen such a nice set in a long time. The lighting was also really great, especially the scene with fireworks.

As for the show... I was blown away. What an amazing original show this is! I was honestly getting chills throughout the entire show. The show felt so authentic to me, nothing seemed forced or over acted. And the cast is all truly amazing. the stand outs to me were (and there are a lot)
Robin DeJesus Sonny: I was really blown away by him what a talent he has
Mandy Gonzalez Nina: her "Everything I know" brought me to tears (which is hard to do)
Olga Merediz Abuela Claudia: when she sang "Paciencia y Fe" there was a solid 1 minute applause after, I had chills the entire way through the song.
Karen Olivo Vanessa: incredible words can not describe how awesome "It won't be long now" was. (That is my favorite song from the demo)
Lin-Manuel Miranda Usnavi: Absolutely stunning. In my opinion one of the most talented guys on Broadway right now. When he rapped (which I am not a fan of rapping at all) I was totally enthralled by it.
In my opinion they already have the Tony for best new musical in the bag, and I would also think that Lin-Manuel has the Best actor Tony locked up. Other deserving performances would be Robin DeJesus and Karen Olivo.
I would definitely say that if you have not already seen In The Heights get down to the Richard Rogers Theatre and check it out!

-Jeremy

"I'd rater be nine peoples favorite thing, than a hundred peoples ninth favorite thing"
Updated On: 3/26/08 at 01:52 AM
obsessedjb Profile Photoobsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
um Karen sings "It Won't Be Long Now" and Mandy sings "Everything I Know"
InThePark Profile PhotoInThePark Profile Photo
InThePark
Understudy
Understudy
And Janet Decal isn't Abuela Claudia, Olga Merediz is, but I understood what you meant anyway. Thanks for your review!
Who says four chairs and a keyboard can't make a musical?
Baiseur82 Profile PhotoBaiseur82 Profile Photo
Baiseur82
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Sorry for the mistakes, I'm an idiot, they are fixed though.
"I'd rater be nine peoples favorite thing, than a hundred peoples ninth favorite thing"
broadwayman17
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Glad to hear you loved the show, I had almost all the same reactions as you did when I saw it a couple weeks ago.
Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm glad to hear you loved this show.

Olga Merediz is going to give Laura Benanti some fierce competition for Best Featured Actress in a Musical. I think they are both marvelous, but I'm rooting a bit more for Merediz.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
crushgroove
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Agreed foster....I'm hoping for a tie...I love both of them
dancingthrulife04 Profile Photodancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Agreed,Foster.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show!
http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
broadwayfan7 Profile Photobroadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for your review! I loved this show so much!
"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."
Mealz1042 Profile PhotoMealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was actually quite delightfully suprised by karen's performance as well. that girl can sing.
<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)
Ole Chum
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
i havent seen in the heights yet but it looks like there is zero chance karen olivo will get tony recognition given how tight this years race is, even tho i think she has one of the best voices ive ever heard live.... she needs a star vehicle of her own and quick!
Yankeefan007
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Megan Mullally was there last night.
FIERCEY516
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
am I the only one who thought it was a bad soap opera on Telemundo or one of those Spanish television channels??

I actually really enjoyed the music. the rap/reggae/salsa/pop fusion was VERY cool but the show and the book are just so weak... maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I was hispanic.

the fact that the musical uses a city "blackout" as a device to propel the story forward is weak and not believable.

Also, I think it was the arrangements that made the score SO vivrant and exciting. I've had the pleasure of hearing the Demo Recording of "ITH" and when it's so bare and raw, without all of the instruments, it's extremely unimpressive and bland.

sorry to be so negative but the fact that this show COULD win the Tony just because it's a huge step for Hispanics on Broadway rubs me the wrong way. No one should take it personally -- I just think the musicals need to be judged based on material, NOT politics or ethnicity.
mejusthavingfun Profile Photomejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I was hispanic."

Nice touch.
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think one's ethnicity determines whether or not you'd like something. I loved In the Heights and I'm neither latino nor hispanic.
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
bwayfascination
Understudy
Understudy
I don't think you need to be latino to get it - most of us come from families who immigrated to this country with the same challenges and dreams these folks have. I just loved that the stories were real - the kinds of things that happen to real people. It's not "grand" drama - it's real drama. It didn't seem "telemundo" to me. If you really pay attention to what is going on, the story doesn't get "resolved" - people have made progress in their lives but the stories are not buttoned up for any of the characters. That's just one reason I loved this musical so much.
dancingthrulife04 Profile Photodancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm sorry you didn't like it but I really don't feel that ethnicity would have anything to do it.
http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Testing1232 Profile PhotoTesting1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
<< I don't think one's ethnicity determines whether or not you'd like something. I loved In the Heights and I'm neither latino nor hispanic >>

Totally agree !!! The thing that is so wonderful about this show is that it seems to appeal to the masses. Was at the matinee, and the age range was 6 to 86, and all ethnic backgrounds. So good to see !!