Page: 1

Things to do in Boston?

madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Things to do in Boston?#1
Posted: 3/25/08 at 10:43pm
I haven't been to Boston in many years, and I need to travel there next month on business. Appreciate any recommendations on things to do, places to go, etc., considering that I'll be there midweek (Monday-Thursday). Staying at the Boston Park Plaza.

Thanks.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
ashley0139
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Things to do in Boston?#2
Posted: 3/25/08 at 11:10pm
Newbury St (shopping), Faneuil Hall and that area, North End for good Italian, the aquarium, and lots of historical stuffs.
"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Things to do in Boston?#2
Posted: 3/25/08 at 11:16pm
Boston Common is lovely in warmer weather, but it's nice in early spring depending on the kind of winter Boston's had.
TheHumanTorch Profile PhotoTheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Things to do in Boston?#3
Posted: 3/25/08 at 11:23pm
i don't know where you are from, but I would definitely stay away from the north end if you are looking for an authentic Italian meal. Being a native New Yorker, but having lived in Boston previously, I can say that the North End is just not for me.

I really enjoy shopping on Newbury Street, plus hanging out in the Commons or Gardens.

If you plan on going out at night, just remember that the T ends at 12:45 am...
verynewyorkcurious Profile Photoverynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Things to do in Boston?#4
Posted: 3/25/08 at 11:24pm
I'm a New Yorker, but I lived in Boston for a year, and visited recently.

I love Boston. It's small..you can actually walk from one end to the other in a very short time. There is such history to the city, and great buildings. There aren't very many tall buildings, which is part of what's so great about it.

What I did the last time I was there with a friend of mine: We had noodles at the Vietnamese place in Chinatown, then we walked through Downtown Crossing toward Faneuil Hall. Walked around Quincy Market, then walked towards the park. Walked through the park, and up towards Beacon Hill, which is where a lot of rich folk live. It's absolutely charming in Beacon Hill, one of the most beautiful areas in Boston. Then we walked down Charles street, which is probably my favorite street all of Boston. They have these charming little stores, and also a really old post office which looks awesome.

Then towards Newbury Street to check out some of the stores. We pass the original Cheers, which is on Beacon street. There is no tax on clothes (no matter how much) in Boston, and tax for everything else is only 5% (unless they've raised it). From the end of Newbury (Mass Ave), we walked to the Prudential Centre. There's not much there, but I think there's an observatory deck, which I have yet to visit.

We then took the #1 bus from Massachusetts Ave to Harvard Square, where I would hang out the most when I used to live there. I love Harvard Sq. There are good restaurants there. One that I used to go to a lot was 9 Tastes Thai Restaurant. It is decent. This past trip we wanted to check out Wagamama, which is a chain noodle place that originated in London. It was just okay, a little too fast food. I talked to the nice people at the G-STAR store on Newbury, and they recommended a bunch of places at Harvard Square:

Om, High-end looking Indian
Charlie's Kitchen
Daedalus, Greek, I think
Grafton St. Pub, Bar + Burgers
Cambridge 1, Pizza, I walked passed this..it looked awesome
Border Cafe, Mexican that's supposed to be good

My friend and I then had dessert at Finale, which I've been to a couple of times. Dessert was good, service was excellent. It looks really high end, but all the people in there were college students who wore hooded sweatshirts.

Then we walked towards Central Square to have a drink. The bar was a generic sports bar, but it was cheap. Then we took the red line to South Station to head back to the city.

re: Things to do in Boston?
The post office on Charles Street

re: Things to do in Boston?
Dessert at Finale
Updated On: 3/25/08 at 11:24 PM
peach
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Things to do in Boston?#5
Posted: 3/26/08 at 11:05am
Check out some the restaurants, galleries and boutiques in the South End (adjacent to Back Bay/Park Plaza area where you are staying). The best restaurants are in the South End (try Union on Washington and Gaslight on Harrison among others).

Also, shopping on Newbury Street is always good. Faneiul Hall area is fun once in a while, but it will be full of tourists.

If the weather is nice, stroll through the Public Gardens and Boston Common during the day (at night you should avoid the parks for safety).

Check out Harvard Square too. Great, fun little neighborhood. Have hot chocolate at Burdick's!

Hope you enjoy your stay! re: Things to do in Boston?
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Things to do in Boston?#6
Posted: 3/26/08 at 11:13am
Park Plaza's a pretty good location. That's where I stayed the last time I was there on business. (but be warned -- although I was fine, some of my coworkers had some service issues there)

I love the library, which isn't far from there.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Things to do in Boston?#7
Posted: 3/26/08 at 11:24am
Have jaystar give you a guided tour!
PEACE.
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Things to do in Boston?#8
Posted: 3/26/08 at 2:08pm
i was just there yesturday :)

i went to chinatown. i needed a hello kitty fix.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Things to do in Boston?#9
Posted: 3/26/08 at 2:11pm
Go to a massacre.
Throw a tea party.
Get caught in a siege.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Things to do in Boston?#10
Posted: 3/26/08 at 2:12pm
You forgot "eat a chocolate-covered, cream-filled donut."
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Things to do in Boston?#11