Page: 1

How is the front row at the St. James for GYPSY?

Bettyboy72 Profile PhotoBettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was offered front row tix,left of center on the aisle for GYPSY? Too close? Stage too high?
Let me know. I want to experience La Lupone as close as possible, but I don't want bad sightlines. Any help is appreciated.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
veryownplanetz Profile Photoveryownplanetz Profile Photo
veryownplanetz
Stand-by
Stand-by
The stage is really high. I sat second row to the left side and I struggled a lot to see. I wouldn't recommend it.
singtopher Profile Photosingtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was in the front row, just left of center. While being five feet away from Patti as she sang the final note of Rose's turn was thrilling, it is hard to see a lot of stuff on the stage. The stage is very high and limits your view since there is no orchestra pit.
"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert
aliciag Profile Photoaliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I was sitting front row in the center part of the orchestra and I loved it. Sure there were a few parts I couldn't see in the back of the stage but I didn't think it was enough to hurt my experience of the show. And it was amazing to have them standing right at the edge of the stage singing in front of you!

It's totally a matter of preference... but I'd recommend it.
SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile PhotoSpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Unless you're 6 foot 5, I wouldn't reccomend it. And don't put you playbill on the stage.
He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.
Bettyboy72 Profile PhotoBettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've tried three dates in April and telecharge is telling me there are no orchestra seats available. Is the show selling that well. I was surpised. I tried online too and the same thing? They were pushing me towards premuim tix.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
courtnyj Profile Photocourtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, I'm sitting front and left of center tonight. I expect that my neck will hurt from craining to see but I'm looking forward to being up close since I've only seen this production from the nose-bleed section. re: How is the front row at the St. James for GYPSY?
courtnyj
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gah! Just got back! It was amazing!

Anyway, yes, the stage is high and yes I was deafened by the speaker in front of my face and blinded by the extremely bright footlights but it was worth it to experience that Rose's Turn up close! I mean wow! Had me in tears....

If you don't get the front row sit close to the front. It's really a different, more personal experience...if that makes any sense. I'm kinda still on a high from the performance and am having difficulty forming words...
ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Courtney. I was there too tonight in the front row! It was indeed amazing. I was expecting the view to be much worse. But I loved being that close.

I was in the direct center seat where Patti and the others talk to the "conductor."

It was also crazy when Patti ripped up June's letter and threw it directly and us.
courtnyj
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Haha, I have a piece of June's letter tucked into my playbill now. And the girl next to me got an apple tossed to her during the Minsky's garden of eden number.
Updated On: 3/25/08 at 12:43 PM
noahrp3
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Just so I can get a good perspective on the view, how high is the stage compared to the Palace for Legally Blonde (for those of you who have sat front row there)? Is the view better than Blonde? Worse?