Page: 1

oh bammy, maybe you should stop talking for a bit

papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how on earth did i manage to miss this gem from yesterday:

during an interview about his speech, bammy tried to clarify what he said about his grandmother by offering that, "she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction that's been been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society."

please, baby, please, give us this one in the general election.
all white people are racist!
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
that surprised me when he said that too, papa
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
maybe he is just a typical black person.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fox’s Chris Wallace Takes Fox And Friends ‘To Task’ For ‘Two Hours Of Obama Bashing’

On Fox and Friends this morning, hosts Steve Doocy, Brian Kilmeade, and Gretchen Carlson spent multiple segments sensationalizing a comment Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) made yesterday, in which he referred to his grandmother as “a typical white person” in some of her racial reactions. Obama made the comment while discussing his recent speech on race relations in America on a Philadelphia radio show.

When the trio welcomed Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace onto the show, instead of previewing his show this weekend, Wallace announced that he was going to take his fellow Fox hosts “to task” for their “excessive” and “somewhat distorting” coverage of what Obama said:

Hey listen, I love you guys but I want to take you to task if I may, respectfully, for a moment. I have been watching the show since 6:00 this morning when I got up, and it seems to me that two hours of Obama bashing on this typical white person remark is somewhat excessive and frankly I think you’re somewhat distorting what Obama had to say.
Video
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
mejusthavingfun Profile Photomejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not sure how racist it is but look at her response:

"Is this guy kidding? Back in the late 1970s, early 1980s, I lived on 95th and Columbus in New York City; long before it went chique. I took a subway from 42nd Street to get home after working on Broadway late at night. I walked home from the subway alone. I rode with African Americans, walked down the street past midnight in an area that wasn't near safe, with African Americans walking beside me and behind me. I'm a whitey white Scots-Irish broad and I was never afraid of an African American coming towards me, and never once crossed the street."

Right and I have some yellow cake uranium to sell her. She had a good argument but man she lost me with that bit.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
because there's no chance a 527's gonna do that in the fall. nope, none. there's also little or no chance that such a negative ad coupled with rev. kill whitey would crater what little support bammy's got among white voters who in 2004 constituted 77% of voters.

that said, two hours is excessive when we should save it for the fall when it will be much more effective.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
To his credit Obama was keen to distinguish the ideas on race held by baby boomers and older Americans during his recent speech. There is a stark contrast between that group and younger Americans when it comes to race relations.

There's a large swath of olders Americans who could, if they dared admit it, say that they've never had a guest in their homes (including beds) of "another flock" (or places of worship). Many of those older voters are still around who heard some variant of "we don't lay or pray with 'em" from their parents and other family members.

I'm leery of treating the subject of race relations in the US with reckless abandon just to score a few political points with bww posters.

I'd like to hear McCain and Hillary elaborate on how race has impacted their life at length to dispell the notion that the black or brown candidate alone has to broach the topic. Only a few years agos some azzholes of McCain's own party delivered a low blow by sliming his adopted daughter due to her ethnicity.

Trying to paint Obama as a hater of whites will not play well in this election. Too many Americans are sick of the race-baiting. Honestly, I don't believe it has any place on bww.com either but let each poster follow his or her own conscience.
#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
mejusthavingfun Profile Photomejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I heard someone speaking on npr about this today. He was talking about the dynamic of the black people that lived during segregation and the white people that stood for it. About how today both have to stand side by side integrated and pretend like it never happened. Like the past is off-limits. It creates this extremely hot-button issue that sets off both sides.
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think this one is being blown out of proportion.

All you need to do is run's a clip of Bill O'Rielly comments about his experiences when having lunch with Sharpton to demonstrate that some (but not all) people have built-in institutional biases.

It was not the best thing to say, but if you are talking about someone who grew up when his Grandmother did, then I think the comment is relatively harmless.

papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh please, you think an ad about this will not play in the general election? johnny mac can deny it and talk about how awful it is and ask them to stop running it and whatever 527 can just ignore him.

people here talk about how racist america still is and then pretend that pandering to race and race baiting will not work in an election? which is it folks?

and you don't have to paint him as a hater of whites, you just have to raise doubts in peoples' minds about who and what he is. bammy himself has said that he is a canvas upon which people project their own hopes and dreams. well, guess what? they will project their fears and biases on that canvas as well and when they do, it will not look so hopeful.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Updated On: 3/21/08 at 05:01 PM
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"people here talk about how racist america still is and then pretend that pandering to race and race baiting will not work in an election? which is it folks?"

Let me respond on to you Papa directly. I personally have never once suggested that America is overtly racist in 2008 so the charges don't stick where I'm concerned. Now the favor I'd like to ask of you is point out why I should vote for McCain.

Pointing out the purported sins of Obama or Hillary won't influence my vote one bit. I'm a grown man who needs no preparation for reality as its painted by others.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i don't really care who you vote for as long as you vote. i stopped trying to influence anyone's votes on here back in 2004. i'm just enjoying the spectacle and doing my part to help muddy the waters and stir up as much divisiveness within the democratic party as i possibly can.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"i'm just enjoying the spectacle and doing my part to help muddy the waters and stir up as much divisiveness within the democratic party as i possibly can."

The option is yours. I hope the spoils are worth it. Just keep in mind that after the election we all have to live together bro. Try to enjoy your weekend.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
take a look at paljoey and i as an example of two people who survived an election season together and we were at each other more brutally than anyone before or since. and that includes the sock puppets.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wait a minute! Now it's the can't we all just get along ploy?
Why can't Obama sever his ties with the racist pastor? His speech didn't make that clear to me. All I got from it was that he's incapable of controlling himself. Especially with regard to racists. He's apprently drawn to them, and there's nothing he can do about it. He even compared the racist pastor to his own grandmother. He seems to confuse those that you choose (a pastor), with those you don't (a grandmother). Odd, to say the least.
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just when I was about to power down this pc...

If Obama, McCain or Clinton disavows every individual in their families, inner circle, place of workship or place of employ that has ever used a racial epithet, referred to a homosexual male as a faggot or spoke of another individual(or group) in a disparaging way who would be left?

It's one thing to point out a candidate's personal foibles, weaknesses or deficiencies but another to make them pay for the sins of every supporter that we find reprehensible. We don't live in a perfect friggin' world. Ergo we gotta take the good with the bad.

Applying today's standard, the majority of our past presidents wouldn't stand a chance of even getting past the Iowa caucuses today. Is it lost on this audience that some of our past presidents were slave holders, adulterers, compulsive gamblers, draft dodgers, race-baiters, wife beaters and/or unrehabilitated substance abusers?

I mean where does this notion come from that there is a mythical perfect person that is going to run for the highest office in the land? Lofty ideals are find provided they're ground in reality. It bears repeating that politics is about compromise. If the two sides are unwilling to make any concessions for the greater goal, we get gridlock.

That's why I praise Obama for at least claiming that he's willing to step across the aisle when necessary to bring about positive change. And, McCain still is the only top-tier Repub with a humane perspective on immigration reform. Though I'm a Dem it annoys me that McCain is caving into pressure from the fanatical neocon fringe of his party.

I have zero interest at this point in some ideologue too stubborn or stupid to compromise to the betterment of the nation as a whole. If the Rush Limbaugh's, Ann Coulter's and Sean Hannity's of the world know so damned much about how the federal government should be run, why don't they toss their names in the hat for once? Same question is put to their disciples on here that falsely believe that smearing democratic candidates via hyperbole makes them appear enlightened.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i don't smear democrats with hyperbole to appear enlightened. i do it because it's fun.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, papa, my GOD, you and your "bammy" threads.

Every time that guy blows his nose, you start a new bammy thread.

I'm going to start a new thread every time I watch a movie on TCM.

LOOK OUT.

That will be a whole lotta threads!!
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i look forward to it, besty. i usually like your taste.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i look forward to it, besty. i usually like your taste.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort