New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson endorses Barack Obama!

artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
http://tinyurl.com/2baf63

"New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson endorsed Barack Obama's bid for the Democratic nomination for U.S. president, Obama's aides said on Friday, in a big boost for the senator.

Richardson's endorsement has been fiercely sought by both Obama and his rival Sen. Hillary Clinton in part because as a Hispanic he is seen as influential within the Latino community, which could be a key voting bloc in the November presidential election."

In other good news, the first real post speech polls are shifting back in Obama's favor. I expect the numbers to shift even more after Obama's appearance last night on Larry King. King asked all the questions that people here and elsewhere say have been left unanswered, such as why he didn't speak up to Wright.

If you didn't see it, I recommend you try and find a video. I'll post a link if I come across one.

POLL SITE
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Updated On: 3/21/08 at 07:57 AM
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: You can't keep a good man down#2
Posted: 3/21/08 at 8:22am
This is HUGE news for Obama, and a blow to Clinton. Will be interesting to see how the superdelegates respond to this, and if this gives Obama a boost with Hispanic voters. If Obama does get the nomination, an Obama/Richardson ticket would be very strong. Link to Times article below.

Art - this is big news...you may want to edit your thread title to be more explicit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/us/politics/21cnd-endorse.html
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You're right, mad. Done.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
cubanpab Profile Photocubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
great news. I really like Bill Richardson, and being a hispanic myself if Obama/Clinton doesnt work out, Obama/Richardson would be very cool too...
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
At this point, I think Obama/Clinton or Clinton/Obama are becoming less and less likely by the minute. Now that Clinton/Richardson is also highly unlikely (although Richardson has said nothing negative about her), Obama/Richardson looks pretty good right now. Should she get the nom, who (other than Obama or Richardson) would be a likely VP nom?
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
in other good news, the first real post speech polls are shifting back in obama's favor.

ok, one, the polls you link to are not showing any significant movement and actually show him down to both johnny mac and blondie. two, only two of those polls are even taken day after the speech. three, if you want to look at a more recent poll, try rasmussen's as his is the most recent - 3/20.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

those show no significant change either. bammy's lead over blondie is down to 3 and he trails johnny mac by 7.

rcp's average shows johnny mac trending up vs. bammy the day after.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html#polls

and rcp's average has bammy up by 3 over blondie with only two post speech polls included.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/democratic_presidential_nomination-191.html#polls

it's too soon to make any determinations about the speech and its effect. but if you want to cite polls then you ought to acknowledge that the early results don't look real flippin' good for bammy. hell, he's still only drawing 36% of the white vote - among democrats. good luck winning a national election with that.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
me likey an Obama-Richardson ticket...hell yeah!!!
#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
me too javy!! i'm still holding out for an Obama/Clinton ticket tho, but like madbrian said, i dont see it happening...

If Clinton gets the nom, I'd say Clinton/Edwards? i dont know. Edwards hasnt endorsed either candidate yet right? I'm sure he's waiting to see who the nominee is so he can pick his side.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love Richardson and was hoping he'd endorse Clinton. Oh well.
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Richardson was my favorite out of the entire field and would have gotten my vote had I lived in an early primary state. To see him on anyone's ticket will make me very, very happy.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Good news, to a point. I think Richardson's stall until after the Texas primary was unfortunate. He might've been statistically useful had had worked the border communities on Barak's behalf.

Far more troubling is McCain's surge ahead of both Clinton and Obama this week -- at least 8 points -- even after McCain "misspoke" about who's a Sunni, who's Shia (demonstrating who's a Bush III). He's sucked up all the Independent vote, too, as I read and saw.

So McCain is on the rise. Big shock. Just proves that putting a white man in a bullet-proof vest for some desert-backed photo ops still suggests "toughness" and "leadership" to the same 75% of the increasingly clueless nation who don't know the body count in the occupaion, whoops, war.

The Democratic hare continues to gnaw its foot off while the old white tortoise creeps toward the finish line. Nothing on the horizon suggests a reversal of that.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 3/21/08 at 11:55 AM
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
auggie--many of my gop colleagues who were slow warming to mcCain have done an about face now claiming that he'd be a much better commander in chief than dubya. the gop faithful take the commander in chief title seriously. they are not about to turn the occupation, oops, war over to either hillary or obama if they have the final say.

please don't let hillary or obama grow desperate and climb onto a tank ala dukakis for the photo-op from hell.
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i'm watching his endorsement live on CNN right now... and its very good so far... very moving. and the crowd is going crazy!

javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
pablo--i really wish big bill had stepped up before the TX primary. oh well, it was his call, not mine.
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
javy, i agree... but god damn that was a good endorsement! did you watch?

Barack is speaking now
Updated On: 3/21/08 at 01:06 PM
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
no, i'm stuck on a boring azz teleconference...i'll have to peep it at youtube later.
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Perhaps the timing couldn't possibly be better? While the endorsement probably would have helped in Texas, Obama needs something RIGHT NOT to regain momentum.
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
it was great, funny, moving, inspirational... and he spoke in spanish during parts of it which i thought was cool...
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I wouldn't worry too much, Auggie--McCain has no place to go but down...I hear Cindy is into that.
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
With respect to the timing, Candy Crowley sums it up well:

"This is an endorsement that may help with the Latino voting bloc around the edges, but if that were Richardson's target he would have done this before the New Mexico and Texas contests, both of which Obama narrowly lost, largely due to the Latino vote. So this is a larger message to superdelegates, those elected officials and party officials who in the end may well decide who the nominee will be."
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
thats an excellent point. Richardson is a smart man and a wise politician, he knows what he's doing.
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I thought he was the most qualified of all the candidates in both parties.
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
which is exactly why he didnt stand a chance lil
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I thought he was the most qualified of all the candidates in both parties."

me too followed by Kucinich...however, obama struck me as the greatest agent of change which i'm all about now...i've never heard any democrat utter a harsh word about bill richardson or belittle his political or intellectual heft.

i'll really like for him as VP to mediate a peaceful armistice between the Colombian government & the FARC rebels because the violence is spreading to other parts of the region which plays into the wingnut Chavez's hands.

i know i'm getting ahead of myself here but the prospect of an obama-richardson ticket is simply too good to be true.
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've always thought he'd be EITHER candidate's choice.