Page: 1

Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom

DickonDefysGravity Profile PhotoDickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom#1
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:07am
Why were Ripley & Skinner nominated together for the Best Actress Tony?
The characters were completely different. I think they both deserved seperate nominations.
And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom#2
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:10am
Yes, they were nominated together.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
HeyMrMusic Profile PhotoHeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom#2
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:17am
I think it's pretty ironic since the point of the musical is show how they are two separate people who want different things out of life. It's not like they were sharing roles, they play two separate characters. But obviously since they are joined at the hip, they can share a Tony nomination.

~Steven
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom#3
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:20am
I think it's the smartest thing the producers did. Even if they weren't gonna win anyways, making them two different entries would have split the votes much more. At least with a single nod they actually had a shot at winning.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
DickonDefysGravity Profile PhotoDickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom#4
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:21am
:/
And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom#5
Posted: 3/17/08 at 9:43am
It's not as crazy as ALL the Von Trapp children in the original Sound of Music sharing a single Tony nomination for "Best Featured Actress in a Musical."

???

And they weren't even joined at the hip. And two of them were boys!
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
divarobbie2 Profile Photodivarobbie2 Profile Photo
divarobbie2
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom#6
Posted: 3/17/08 at 10:20am
The thinking behind Alice & Emily's joint nomination is that each performance was an extension of the others. Not only did they have to act, sing and DANCE with another person against them, but they had to feed off each other in ways no one has had to do in theatre before to make thier performances believable, as sisters connected who really do "share everything." On the flip side, I never really understood why the Drama Desks nominated Alice Ripley but not Emily Skinner. The fact is, they were giving a performance built from each others work. A joint nomination made perfect sense.
AC126748 Profile PhotoAC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom#7
Posted: 3/17/08 at 10:23am
Emily Skinner missed a lot of performances due to vocal problems. Alice Ripley did not. Many times, Tony/Drama Desk voters would go to see the show and Emily would be out. That's one of the reasons that Alice was nominated for the Drama Desk and Emily was not, and--I would assume--why it was petitioned hard that they be nominated jointly at the Tonys.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
WonderBoy Profile PhotoWonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom#8
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:15pm
I still think they should have won even thought there was some steep competition that year.
"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns
AC126748 Profile PhotoAC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom#9
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:20pm
That category did have an excellent line-up:

Betty Buckley
Marin Mazzie
Natasha Richardson
Emily & Alice
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Alice Ripley & Emily Skinner Tony Nom#10
Posted: 3/17/08 at 3:04pm
There was no way Natasha Richardson wasn't going to win. I wish it had been Mazzie though, just because she's a personal favorite.
Besty, you are so right.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"