PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Starting with those on BroadwayWorld?

===

Clinton and Obama Agree to Reign in Their Trash-Talking Supporters

Associated Press - March 14, 2008 4:14 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - Presidential rivals Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton can agree on this: They sometimes disagree with their trash-talking supporters -- and they will try to cool it.

Advisers to the Democratic candidates shed some light today on the private chat the candidates had Thursday on the Senate floor.

The talk lasted several minutes in view of reporters watching on the balcony above. The reporters could see them talking, but could not hear what they said."They approached one another and spoke about how supporters for both campaigns have said things they reject," said Clinton spokesman Phil Singer. "They agreed that the contrasts between their respective records, qualifications and issues should be what drives this campaign, and nothing else."

An Obama adviser, speaking on a condition of anonymity about the private conversation, gave a similar account, while stressing that it was Obama who approached Clinton on the subject. They committed to making sure that their supporters don't get overheated in the future, the adviser said.

With Clinton and Obama in such a close race for the nomination, the campaign has grown increasingly acrimonious. Surrogates and aides to the candidates have stirred racial and gender divisions that Democrats fear will leave the eventual nominee badly damaged and battered heading into the general election.

Party members also fear that the rancor will make it difficult to unite the party for the November contest, undercutting Democrats' chances of winning the White House after eight years of President Bush.

Democrats face a protracted nomination fight that is likely to last at least until voting in June and perhaps won't be resolved until the convention in Denver at the end of August.

In contrast, John McCain has already secured the Republican nomination and has moved forward with fundraising and other efforts that will prepare him to campaign against whoever emerges from the Obama-Clinton fight. A badly damaged and battered nominee will do nothing to help their united cause of getting a Democrat back in the White House next year.

Clinton and Obama's rare appearance in the Senate was to cast several votes on a closely debated budget bill.

It followed a week of harsh words that led to resignations in both camps. Samantha Power gave up her position as an unpaid foreign policy adviser to Obama after calling Clinton a "monster." Geraldine Ferraro, who was the party's vice presidential nominee in 1984, stepped down from Clinton's finance committee after she said Obama would not have made it this far if he were white.
http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp?S=8018355&nav=1sW7
cubanpab Profile Photocubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
About time.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 3/15/08 at 11:54 PM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
until one of them thinks a negative ad will help. i bet bammy thinks she really means it too. i'd feel sorry for him if he weren't a islamic stalinist who hates everything about america.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I dunno. The idea of muzzling people because they aren't "on message" bothers me, even if I think they are hurting the candidate or party in the process. Of course, when the "mis-speaker" is an official adviser to a candidate, it becomes problematic. One can certainly wonder WTF Geraldine Ferraro was thinking when she made her comments. Obama's pastor is a little scary and the woman who called Hillary a monster to a reporter showed questionable judgment, but at least they are cases of people using their own words instead of the pre-formatted party line loop that keeps getting spewed. Sometimes I think I can't make it if I have to keep hearing the same sh*t until the election.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ok, i've gotta say, i see absolutely nothing wrong with what ferraro said. what she said in her ham-handed way is that bammy would not be in this position if he were not black. and he wouldn't. that's not a demeaning thing to say. his campaign is about him and part of him is the fact that he's black. if he were not, he's merely a smooth talking edwards clone who's association with rezko got him booted from the contest before super tuesday.

could you imagine a gop candidate whose pastor - for twenty years, twenty - was railing against the jews or the blacks?

take away the black from bammy and his association with rev. "kill whitey" - and the rev.'s association with louis farrakhan - sinks him before he gets anywhere near the senate.

without the black, he'd be another crooked chicago alderman with a loudmouthed racist wife.

that's what she said and she was dead right.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I might actually be able to think of gennaro's comment as benign if it wasn't something she has said before and before about other black candidates. That's what made it sit very wrong for me.

Otherwise, I could see that she we making the point you did, papa, without imagining there was anything racist to it.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
regardless of what she said before, in this instance she was right.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
We're not talking trash about each other anymore--and you can't make us!
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i can only hope this lasts as long as the last truce did.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Right or wrong (I think she's wrong), it was an incredibly stupid thing to say, particularly from someone who should know better.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm so half past these 2 candidates. What bores they be! Perhaps he should go out in drag and she in blackface to liven things up. THEY'RE BORING!!!!! You know every comment they're going to make, 5 minutes before they make it. Why? Because they haven't said a damned thing that's new or different or interesting. Not one thing. Clinton is experienced! Yeah! Now what the F does that mean? Obamalamadingdong equals change! Yeah! Now change the f'ing record. Throw stay-the-course McCain in there for boring good measure. These are our choices? How sad. Who cares what they've decided? B O R I N G