Page: 1

Tummy troubles

nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Tummy troubles#1
Posted: 3/14/08 at 5:49am
So the doctor thinks I have gastritis (with reflux, pain, loss of appetite), and I'm starting on Prilosec. Fun. Has anyone else had any experience with this drug?

(I'm not a fan of medication, nor am I too confident in the doctor since it was a sliding scale clinic and the doctor kind of rushed me out the door. I prefer a more natural approach so I intend on talking with another doctor just to get a better idea on options for treatment.)
Updated On: 3/14/08 at 05:49 AM
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Tummy troubles#2
Posted: 3/14/08 at 9:26am
Well, sometimes you get what you pay for, I guess.

Is the second opinion doctor going to be on a sliding scale, too?
husk_charmer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#2
Posted: 3/14/08 at 9:40am
Heh, this is something I know all to well.

Prilosec is ok, however get to a real doctor and get a colonoscopy (it's not fun but worth it). It may turn out to be IBS or Gastritis, or it could unearth that you have Chron's (sp?) Disease, or other awful problems.
http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#3
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:10am
One possible remedy (it's nasty) might be apple cider vinegar. Do some research into it. Usually if you put 2 Tblsp in a large glass of water and sip on it, it helps all types of stomach trouble. It sounds nasty but it works.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#4
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:26am
I had a miserable experience with Prilosec. Or it might have been the other acid reflux medicine -- the one that starts with a Z. I don't remember which.

Anyway, I had a very pill-happy doctor. I just mentioned that I'd been having some heartburn issues, and he wrote out the prescription without even checking a thing. I took it for a few days, but it made it where I didn't feel like eating at all.

I later figured out that I didn't have acid reflux at all. It was just an ulcer problem that comes and goes.
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tummy troubles#5
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:29am
The second opinion doctor is going to be a private doctor GI guy, and it'll just be a consultation. Husk_charmer, I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy two years ago (when I had insurance), and both were fine.

Gothampc, I just heard about the apple cider vinegar remedy, and I tried it for three days--it didn't help, but it may require more time than that. I'd rather do that than Prilosec, yeesh. I'll ask the doctor if I can do that instead, or concurrently with the medication.

I've never been a drinker or smoker or eater of spicy foods. I do drink tea every day and I enjoy chocolate now and then, but those two things are pretty much being avoided now. Maybe the singing brought about this, too. Geez, the human body is so darn fragile.

Calvin, a lot of doctors are insanely pill happy. One wonders if they're just technicians for pharmaceuticals. Most things in life are at best guesswork, but I'd rather guess with gentler options. Sorry you had a bad experience with the Prilosec--are you being treated for your ulcer problem?

Yes, you get what you pay for, Phyllis. America's great, if you're rich and always in perfect health.
Updated On: 3/14/08 at 10:29 AM
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Tummy troubles#6
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:32am
Since you have an opposition to medicine, maybe you could go to a faith healer?
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#7
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:37am
Just a thought: I take papaya enzyme to aid digestion when i eat late at night or something especially heavy (which is not my custom). The best brand is from GNC...might help...
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#8
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:38am
Not really, nygirl, once I determined it was nothing serious. It comes and goes, and I've kind of figured out on my own how to control it with diet. Really, it's only bad a couple times a year, and I know just to avoid dairy during those times.

Speaking of, it is helpful to keep a food diary and use that to determine whether any particular foods make things worse.
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tummy troubles#9
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:04am
Thanks, lildogs. Good advice on keeping a food diary, Calvin. (and hey, a use for the excel on my computer...)
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#10
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:09am
if you're looking for something natural, have you thought about using slippery elm?

http://www.mdidea.com/products/proper/proper019.html
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#11
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:19am
I have gastritis, as was determined by a scope done a few years ago. It was really bad at the time, and I was in frequent pain. They gave me a medication for it, but I had to stop taking it when it seemed to make my other meds stop working. I have since stopped taking all the meds I was on for everything.

I have "stress stomachaches" every now and again now (as the acid levels in my stomach apparently worsen when I'm under stress for some reason). And they're not fun. But they don't happen often enough any more to take something other than Zantac 150 (or whatever the high number is).
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
husk_charmer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#12
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:26am
A lot can change in two years...
http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tummy troubles#13
Posted: 3/14/08 at 7:28pm
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I bought some slippery elm lozenges (haven't been able to find it in tea form yet), and someone else recommended licorice root products.
Silbee
Understudy
Understudy
re: Tummy troubles#14
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:03pm
I agree with the cider vinegar too. Mix it with some honey. For the reflux, a "Granny Smith Apple". Don't scoff at this simplistic remedy, try it, it works.

Apparently there is an enzyme in this particular apple that combats reflux, it works for me. A couple of slices throughout the day is all you need. I start the day off with a quarter of an apple, it cleared up all digestive issues I had, to the point that I was able to leave off Ranitidine...

http://www.guide2acidreflux.com/articles/grated_apple_for_acid_reflux.php
Updated On: 3/14/08 at 10:03 PM
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#15
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:11pm
I used to drink apple cider vinegar every day for various reasons. Absolutely vile, but it works.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Tummy troubles#16
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:23pm
To pass a drug test?
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#17
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:33pm
No. Luckily I haven't had to worry about that yet.

I really drank for to hold me over between meals.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Tummy troubles#18
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:34pm
Oh, okay (because I don't think it works for drug tests).
sesot Profile Photosesot Profile Photo
sesot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#19
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:35pm
Aloe Vera juice is a natural remedy that can help too. Some brands don't have any taste, others are nasty. You should be able to get this at most natural food stores, maybe Whole Foods. My D.O. suggested this vs taking meds. You also need to look at your diet. What you eat plays a huge role in this; you may even have developed some food allergies or sensitivities. I suggest getting a delayed food allergy test done to rule this out.
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Tummy troubles#20
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:13pm
It may have something to do with when you eat, too. Try to avoid eating and then lying down. Sit up for at least an hour after any significant amount of food. The irritation of your lower esophagus may be caused by stomach contents sneaking back up with the help of gravity. Try elevating the head of your bed a little, too.
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Tummy troubles#21
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:54pm
Allergies are a possibility. And I thought, "hey, why not invent an inclined pillow designed for this sort of thing?" Of course, someone already has--they're available online for $75, geez.