Page: 1

Gypsy - wow

BkCollector
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Gypsy - wow#1
Posted: 3/13/08 at 5:29pm
I have decided to turn over a new leaf re: BWW, so I'm going to keep my negative stuff to a minimum and be constructive.

I saw Gypsy. I do not agree with the ending. Some excellent performances from the supporting cast.
BlueRoses321 Profile PhotoBlueRoses321 Profile Photo
BlueRoses321
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Gypsy - wow#2
Posted: 3/13/08 at 5:50pm
care to elaborate?
blaxx Profile Photoblaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy - wow#2
Posted: 3/13/08 at 6:01pm
I read your post. I do not understand it. Some elaborating would be excellent.
Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
BkCollector
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Gypsy - wow#3
Posted: 3/13/08 at 6:43pm
I did not like the lead nor the changes to highlight her at the end. I did enjoy the male roles and Louise.
CurtainPullDowner Profile PhotoCurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy - wow#4
Posted: 3/13/08 at 7:36pm
Why in God's name would the author change the ending after the original has worked for eons?
And it weakens Rose's character, too.
millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy - wow#5
Posted: 3/13/08 at 7:45pm
I saw the apparently new ending. What was the old ending?
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
puppetman2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Gypsy - wow#6
Posted: 3/13/08 at 7:47pm
One of the main things we were taught in art classes in college was KNOW WHEN TO STOP. This definitely applies to shows especially excellent books like the one for GYPSY. Do NOT tamper with perfection no matter who the star is in a revival.
It Sucks To Be Me
Just_John Profile PhotoJust_John Profile Photo
Just_John
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy - wow#7
Posted: 3/13/08 at 8:33pm
I thought the only thing they changed was how Rose didn't walk off the stage but instead looked up at her name in lights? Did they change anything besides that?
H.Higgins Profile PhotoH.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy - wow#8
Posted: 3/13/08 at 9:28pm
Changes were not made to the book. The end scene is still as originally written. It's the last SILENT moment on stage that has been staged differently in this production.
dioquardo Profile Photodioquardo Profile Photo
dioquardo
Swing
Swing
re: Gypsy - wow#9
Posted: 3/13/08 at 10:01pm
Considering that Laurents wrote the book and that he is directing this production, I think he can choose to make alterations at his discretion, whether it be catered to a particular performer or his own artistic choices. The integrity of changes made by subsequent directors in any future productions may be a bit more questionable. Just my opinion...
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 10:01 PM
CurtainPullDowner Profile PhotoCurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy - wow#10
Posted: 3/13/08 at 11:16pm
SPOILERS!!!!
The usual staging has Rose finishining her TURN, and coming to some sort of conclusion that maybe she has been wanting the spotlight for herself all along.
Then Gypsy enters and tells Rose, she would have been something.
And Rose answers (one of Laurent's best lines)
If I could have been, I would have been!
and they joke and leave together, with a glimmer of a hope that maybe they will work things out.
The current staging had Gypsy leaving and Rose exalting as the ROSE lights come down again.
Leaving me to believe she has learned nothing.
In my opinion, a weaker choice.

Updated On: 3/13/08 at 11:16 PM
Luvinbroadway Profile PhotoLuvinbroadway Profile Photo
Luvinbroadway
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Gypsy - wow#11
Posted: 3/13/08 at 11:39pm
The new ending is devasating (in a good way!)....Patti nails it...it is sad, pathetic, hopeful, scary...WOW!
DidYouReallyHearMe
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Gypsy - wow#12
Posted: 3/14/08 at 1:49am
The new ending was indeed just WOW. I loved it.
pattilupuppy Profile Photopattilupuppy Profile Photo
pattilupuppy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Gypsy - wow#13
Posted: 3/14/08 at 1:51am
thank you lovin, you are exactly right!!!!

That is the point people.... she has alienated two daughters she is not a woman of hope
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy - wow#14
Posted: 3/14/08 at 9:57am
I hear that Laurents toyed with having Rose being claimed by the "Mother Ship" from some alien planet and Gypsy observing "Wow, so Mama was a spaceman all along! That explains her domineering behaviour!"

I think this ambivalent ending sounds OK.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
WhitehallandMarks
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Gypsy - wow#15
Posted: 3/14/08 at 10:04am
I like the ending. To me, the fact that Rose is still dreaming up ways to get herself in the spotlight - now with "Gypsy Rose Lee" - shows that she hasn't changed at all. The ending supports that, IMO of course.
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy - wow#16
Posted: 3/21/08 at 9:40pm
I like the new ending - from what I've read. The old ending sounds like it just cleans things up too "Disney"-ish. This is more realistic ending, and a stronger choice I think. It makes a statement rathern than cleaning up a story.
defyingravity07 Profile Photodefyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy - wow#17
Posted: 3/21/08 at 9:45pm
I see it as, she understands that she won't be the star she wants to be but she won't stop wishing she could be.
singingbackup Profile Photosingingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy - wow#18
Posted: 3/21/08 at 9:52pm
yes but when i saw it, she stands in exhaltation as the ROSE in lights 'crumbles' for lack of a better term, it deteriorates like her dream leaving a sadness and a pathetic pall.
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gypsy - wow#19
Posted: 3/21/08 at 10:05pm
The new ending is heart-wrenching and devastating.

SPOILER

Rose reaches for her name in lights, but only some of the lights are lit as her dream crumbles. She cannot reach it and her dream deteriorates right in front of her eyes. This is a woman who failed her daughters, the love of her life and HERSELF. It is absolutely heartbreaking. Patti's performance of this moment is sublime. It might not touch some people the way it did for me, but when I saw Patti's ROSE'S TURN that evening, her lead-in to that moment was more devastating than I have ever felt.

END SPOILER

GYPSY is my favorite musical. I adore it more than words can express and this ending hit me like a ton of bricks. I really hope they keep it!
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
bertandrew2 Profile Photobertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Gypsy - wow#20
Posted: 3/22/08 at 9:41am
SPOILER

Yes, the original ending has Rose and Louise walking offstage TOGETHER. Its not Disney. Its peace. Its a finish. They are ACCEPTING each other. There is a finality.

The new ending has Louise LAUGHING at her mother and she makes a full cross from stage right to stage left. Yes, Louise laughs at her mother as if to say ' you foolish pathetic old woman.' This is mean spirited. Rose stands there as her daughter laughs at her and then that sign comes in again--the lights on it fading out as she reaches for it. Oh brother.

What's worse than this is the build up they give Patti Lupone for her curtain call. Its like the parting of the the seas, all this dramatic build up. Oh brother.

The dark, mean-spirited ending of the show befits the dark, mean-spirited tone set by Ms. Lupone throughout. She sings her first song, SOME PEOPLE, like a barking bulldog. She plays Rose's breakdown during her first number.

Its too bad.
ScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile PhotoScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile Photo
ScottyDoesn'tKnow
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Gypsy - wow#21
Posted: 3/22/08 at 9:54am
I always thought that the Gypsy-Rose walking out together ending was more about Gypsy's character than Rose. Even with Rose joking about ways she can still put her name in the spotlight after all of that, Gypsy just accepts it and tries to make their relationship work. It probably won't, but I thought the point was to show how Gypsy was able to grow up and mature and be the adult.

I don't really get that the new ending really adds anything other than the fact that it spells everything out, which I think is a bit sad that people need to have things spoon-fed to them.
"[Gore] was widely perceived as arrogant. If you know something, you're not smart. You're a smarty-pants. It's annoying. People get annoyed with your knowledge. It goes back to high school, to not doing your homework ... 'There's something I should know, I don't know why I should know it but someone knows it and I don't. So I'm going to have to make fun of him now.'" -Sarah Vowell, The Partly-Cloudy Patriot