Page: 1

mickey kaus explains it all: ferraro was right!

papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the mickster lays it all out.
ferraro was right
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mickey Kaus is a vile homophobe. Named Mickey.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
which precludes him from being right how?

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It precludes me from having any respect for his opinion.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
your disrespect don't make it wrong. and what did he do that's so homophobic? honestly i don't know. but then i didn't know about huck's "quarantine AIDS victims" statement either.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the more interesting question is, if Obama is half black and half white, why do we define him by the black half? In other words, why even call him black? Why don't we call him white? He's just as white as he is black.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's been a number of things.

He's a frequent Coulter apologist, including after the "faggot" comment. During the whole "Brokeback Mountain" kerfuffle, he went on and on about how no straight men would ever see the film because two guys getting it on is just icky. And he also has defended (and frequented) a bar that boasted a sign saying "no faggots served."

It's actually kind of odd, too, because I think he has been supportive of certain issues.
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 11:12 AM
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Because historically, you were treated as black if you had any black blood.

The prohibitions and discrimination against blacks did not care what percentage black someone was.

You could get into a whole discussion of the subculture of light-skinned vs. dark skinned blacks, and those who passed as whites ... but that is for another thread.
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 11:15 AM
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
artscallion, have you never heard of the "One Drop Rule"?

". . . . . Then slavery took hold in the south as cotton became king. The infamous "one-drop rule" was adopted, which defines a person as "black" (or negro in those days) with as little as a single drop of "black blood." This notion is a derivative of the discredited notion and belief that each race had a distingished blood type, which controlled social behavior and attributed to differences in physical appearance. The South promted this rule as a way of enlarging the slave population with the children of the slave holders.

Crazy that we are the only country in the world tha applies such a rule to a class or group of people. What's crazier is the fact this rule only applies to Blacks and it is one way. My one-drop of Caucasian blood doesn't make me any more caucasian than Burmese Monk whose ancestry is docuemented pure for over a millenia.

Such an infectous ideology to keep the Caucasian race an elitist group in America has even found it's dominance now over Mexicans. In the 70's the American government created the terms hispanic and latino as way to count anyone of Mexican, Latin / South American, Spanish decent who were of brown complextion. Did you really think that Hispanics were a race of people?

I'm not saying that the entire Caucasian population is so single sided. However, this is an issue that is still perpetuated by the American government and still a rooted problem within our social mentality. No different than BET perpetuating stereotypes and misconceptions about those of African decent."

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 11:15 AM
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
pab said it much better than I did...
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
that's it? that makes him a vile homophobe? he didn't call for the stoning of gays? separate bathrooms? demand that there be a federal amendment to protect marriage?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He's just one of those guys who, although they seem to be on your side, always seem to want to throw out a "gays are icky" point. Perhaps "vile homophobe" was a bit strong. More like a "Dane Cook homophobe."
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well, to me "dane cook" is far, far worse than vile.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks for the detailed illustration of the concept, guys. I'm aware of the one drop rule and the history of this concept, which is the reason I posed the question. What I mean to ask is why this concept is still in place. Why we still use this notion to define someone. Or more importantly why we even need to define people , at all, any more.

One of the most offensive elements to the reporting of this whole primary process for me has been the whole, "blacks are voting for so-and-so, women are voting for so-and-so." I don't think Ferrara is really the problem. I think her statements and mindset are just shining a spotlight on the real problem, which is that racism is still thriving in America, even in people and places we don't expect it to be thriving.

I was talking to my mother about this the other day and she asked if people still used the term mullato (sp?). I told her most people didn't. She said she thought they needed to come up with a new term for people who were half white and half black then. I asked her why we needed a name for them. She couldn't come up with a reason. I told her to just call them people.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 11:42 AM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the only way to prove that the united states is not a racist nation is to elect bammy so he can save our souls.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Remember the big stink when Tiger Woods called himself a "cablinasian" on Oprah?
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
cal, i have explained that i'd been to taco bell the night before and had been drinking genessee cream ale. god, let it go!

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jeez, it's been awhile since I've heard someone blame something on Creamer Screamers.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Poor Geraldine, she's led a miserable, marginalized life. I bet she can't even count the number of times she's been followed by sales clerks in stores, hassled by the police...or all the times a woman has pulled her purse a little closer once Geraldine sits beside her on the subway, how people will move to the opposite of the sidewalk at night..how she was denied voting rights and access to higher education until the late 60s...how her ancestors were sold as property, the number of times hate groups that have held rallies demonizing her...poor, poor lady...
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lil, i'm just glad that you're acknowledging the tough path she's had.

and brian, oh, the memories scare me still.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Updated On: 3/13/08 at 07:00 PM